Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Today I accomplished....

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Based on Greenhaven's "DIYers, Let's Finish This Thing" thread, I'm jumping on someone's idea of listing what we did get done, vs. the sometimes overwhelming lists of what we have to accomplish.

My thought is those lists are just items we can cross off and post here. For a long time, I was so deeply underwater and out of my league, I tried keep this kind of list. Sometimes even that was too much to face. I'm thinking depression has had a bit to do with that! LOL. Even something as simple as change the sheets when on the list. One thing a day, I told myself!

So....
Although this was late last night, I gave a door I've stripped a matte finish clear coat. The other side is extremely chippy and today I'll use the same matte finish to make certain it's as durable as its 1st coat seemed to make it.

What did you accomplish yesterday, or even this beautiful day!?

Comments (75)

• romy718
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I fit 24 flats of flowers & 3 hanging baskets in my vehicle, unloaded it all & then went back for more.
    Good for you, Texas. Those days with your kids, enjoy them.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, May 20, 14 at 23:51

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Fun reading! Today I cleared a bunch of work stuff out of my trunk so I can try to fit 2 15" cabinets in it tomorrow. I checked out a craigslist sofa that I really liked but hubby didn't :( I put a finish coat of paint on the trim of our new big window that looks out on the lake. And I rode with my husband to another lake where we looked at a rock wall like the one we need to install to discourage muskrats (ewww). Then we stopped at a bar for a yummy fish dinner and a beer -- reward for a busy day.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Today I took my 80 yr old Mom to PT for her recent knee replacement (tips hat to gladys1924, you go girl!) Dragged hoses to water our desert yard (Tuesday is one of our legal watering days), watered the last 2/3 of the greenhouse, and moved eight more potted plants out of the greenhouse to their summer home on the kitchen patio.

Then came here, to be inspired by those making progress on their houses (tips hat to all of you.)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great post. I set up my veggie garden and planted the tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, peas, arugula, peppers, carrots, tomatillos, and a few more items. I still have to plant my herbs(non perennial), cukes, and pole beans. We set up the hoses and timers as it always stops raining just as I put in my garden.
    Now- why even set up the garden as the competition among Bambi, rabbits, and ground hogs doesn't always leave a lot for the bipeds. Someday, I will fence in my little garden.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Cross post from the other thread...

I've been having a little trouble with having enough energy to do much after work so I decided to give Monster a try and bought a 18 pack on my way home. So today I...

Ran the weed eater, cut the grass, hauled out a bunch of drywall and the last of our old cabinets for trash day tomorrow, watered the new gardenias, sanded the pantry shelves and put the second coat of poly on. I think the stuff works.

Drying...

The wood is cheap whitewood from the lumber section of HD, stained with Rustoleum Willow color and two coats of satin polyurethane. Looks better and costs less than wire shelving.

Today I could actually start installing shelves but I'll probably stop at fitting the side pieces to the adjacent walls because the flooring people still need to do their thing and they would just get in the way and get covered in dust. I'm beyond excited for new flooring samples today and have my hopes up that they'll come back an acceptable color. I originally wanted to do white stone in the kitchen but due to the layout the flooring has to continue into the family room and I didn't want to do stone in such a large area. This makes it all much more difficult to design around and find a color that works.

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

Today I moved all of the food from my existing refrigerator in the old kitchen (soon to live in the garage) to the new refrigerator in my new kitchen.

Of course, I won't be able to access the new refrigerator/kitchen for the next three days while they finish the floors. So then I picked out the basic supplies we will need (milk, etc. and meat that needs to be cooked) to move to the tiny dorm fridge that is now residing in the dining room.

But the big question : what do I do with a dozen eggs, with only a microwave and a grill?

Sneak peak:

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I see brushed brass... are you going with matching door hardware? It's frustrating trying to find Schlage door hardware in that finish to match another piece since it was discontinued recently (HAS to be Schlage, that's the other hard part).

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Got the second coat of primer on the beadboard and I'm hoping to pick up my tile for the backsplash today. It cleared customs in Miami yesterday and the tile store was going there to pick it up.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

Lauraeds- you can microwave eggs pretty quickly and they aren't terrible. Just a bit of oil/butter in the bottom of a bowl, towel over the bowl (this is important!), and microwave about 45 seconds. You can scramble them and add fixings if you want as well. I'd think a piece of aluminum foil with some non-stick coating would work on the grill. Just make a foil pouch so the egg doesn't leak out.

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

Schicksal - Nope, not going with matching door hardware. Most of the existing exterior door hardware is standard brass, but old and worn down. The only new exterior entrance has a much more modern door style, so the shiny brass would look odd. I want to keep the focus on the very cool door vs the hardware, so I'm just doing ORB/Vintage Bronze that sort of blends into the black door and doesn't stand out. Good luck finding something that works.

Now cabinet hardware, yes, a brushed gold/brass tone!

mrsmortarmixer, thanks for the recommendations…. I'll give it a try. Thought I might hard boil on the grill side burner too!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Today I made cookies, mowed the front lawn and part of the back lawn (before the battery on the lawnmower died), and put liners down on the cabinets and started putting things away in the kitchen. I'm still not sure where I want everything and I need to organize the pantry cabinet in a better manner than when I tossed everything in from the old pantry, which is now a coat closet, near the back door.

My kitchen is finished except for the backsplash! I'll be borrowing a tile saw next week, and hope to install it myself, with a bit of help from a couple of friends who've installed backsplashes.

I cooked a very early dinner and now we're off to karate, followed by soccer!

Lauraeds, it seems someone other than me loves your counters! TexasGem, I can't believe you're allowed to bring peanut butter to school. The cookies I made have Skor Toffee Bits which contain almonds and I am hesitant to send them with the boys due to the tree nut allergic kids.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

a2gemini - and all of you who also share your gardens with wildlife - have you tried motion sensors? They run on a 9 volt battery and your garden hose - will blast everything that crosses the electric eye. Has worked well with Bambi, *may* work well with the other critters.

I hit 110 degrees in PT today without much pain! Yeah! Recovery from this TKR has been difficult, so I celebrate every gain.

I've also cleaned our truck (badly needed), gotten groceries. Now to split firewood (yes, I do it manually), ride the exercise bike, and start dinner.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Lots of accomplishments before me! I'm heading down the path of CEF and just getting one positive thing done per day is a feat, so today was a fantastic day for me. I went to the big box store to pick up some supplies to freshen up the basement entry which is in the kitchen. Spackled some wall areas, lifted off cruddy vinyl from landing. Researched battery operated lighting since I mistakenly forgot to include lighting at top of entry while wiring kitchen. Called to confirm Friday's stove delivery...they said they have it scheduled for next week. Too late. They come tomorrow instead. Countertop template is early next week, a week after that is the install. Decide to get toe kick heaters installed and connected to furnace before countertop install, so had to get scheduled. Not a high comfort level with upcoming countertop install, so trying to avoid any possible issues/distractions.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

MgMum- I made sure to check with all 3 teachers that no one in any of their classes has a nut allergy. One poor girl has a strawberry allergy but no nut allergies out of 70 kids! I was honestly surprised.

• localeater
    9 years ago

It may not sound like much, but I made decisions.
    When I started my kitchen redo, the plan was for a phase 2 to rework the nearby entry, and combo laundry/powder.
    Well today the carpenter came by and so I had to have some basic decisions made.
    I did it! This is a big step forward for me, and he will be getting back to me with a start date so I will have my next deadline- phew I am so happy with this progress!

• localeater
    9 years ago

edited to delete duplicate post

This post was edited by localeater on Wed, May 21, 14 at 18:52

• meddam
    9 years ago

Not my accomplishment, but my stepson finished painting our ceilings & they look great!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Today I went to the post office, vacuumed the whole house, threw all the laundry down the stairs to the basement (alas, I never made it down there to sort it and actually wash and dry anything though, sigh)...but the big accomplishment today was not something I did but tehey came to template for our countertops!!!!

It was so exciting and turns out my brother-in-law (who is helping us with our reno) graduated high school with the guy so it turned into a pretty fun afternoon of hearing their high school hi-jinks!!! The guy was super nice and seemed to share my excitement for getting new counters. I told him he is in the perfect job and is a wonderful representative for his company. He listened to my concerns, made sure to mark down my preferences on different layout issues such as overhangs, corners, protecting my finished end panels, etc.

Then after he left, I vacuumed out all my lovely new drawers and upper cabinets, wiped them all down and put the shelves in my uppers. I added the cans to my trash pull-out and even put my silverware into my new silverware drawer.

It's been a great day!!!

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Still working...but today's accomplishments:
    * planted a few portulaca in one of the flower boxes
    * broke down a ton of cardboard boxes from the appliances, etc. and put most of those out for recycling that comes by tomorrow
    * starting to clean up the basement (aka staging area) for most of the kitchen reno stuff...we will be placing a futon mattress down there to live for a few days when, as part of our kitchen remodel, our hardwood in our living room and stairs gets refinished (the hardwood flows from the kitchen into the living room and the kitchen is mostly done, but we didn't get the living room taken care of because things were moved into that room while the kitchen was being done.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Today's accomplishments:

* got our fidgety central-station alarm fixed - all the renovation dust and electrical has played hell with the control panel and we've been getting odd error messages and system glitches

* got an updated schedule from the GC on the job progress - looking like the end of July now.

* accepted delivery of the rest of our plumbing fixtures (both kitchen faucets, soap dispenser, hot/cold dispenser and tank, bathroom faucet)

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, today I watered with my sprinkler set-up. It was very gratifying.

I lathered myself up with my 50 sunblock (which I wear all the time, anyway) gathered up my tools and went out to clear brush out of a garden. I probably got 100sf done in 3 hours. Then, I was overheating and stopped.

The tree trimming guys gave me 5 truck loads of wood chips, which will probably not be enough. I'm mulching really thick (I know the pros and cons) and hope to discourage the evil vines that take over E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.H.G.

Then, [drum roll] I went to work.

• barista9
    9 years ago

Today, I got my granite countertops installed :). Selecting the countertop material has been the most painful part of our kitchen reno. Quartz, granite, black, white, ... The installation went great, not a word to complain... Oh yeah, another decision, we postponed the installation of the backsplash for a week, we're too unsure at the moment, we want to live with the granite a bit before deciding on the bs.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I am embarrassed to say it but thought of this very thread when I had yet another epic fail with a screw gun. I cannot work one of those things to save my life and it TICKS ME OFF! What I was trying to accomplish today was installing hooks in the locker area. What I succeeded at was putting a teeny tiny little poke mark in the wood. Hmph! I will master that thing one of these days! I think I am too afraid of wrecking what I am drilling into and I don't give it enough torque. :(

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Man you guys are all over this stuff today! Pooped from yesterdays work I took an easy day. Delivered some boxes to DIL so they can start packing to move into their first house, paid some bills and dealt with admin type stuff, and paid some attention to the horse's feet.

Dcward, doesn't it feel great to nest in your new kitchen?

Barista your counters look great!

Autumn ya just gotta handle that screw gun like a boss. Are you drilling a pilot hole? That might help.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'm thinking this energy drink before I leave work idea is turning out pretty well. Yesterday I...

- Stopped by the glass place and finalized the details about the sidelight and front door windows. Sometimes you have to go have a look instead of relying on pictures.
    - Finished the plumbing for the wall oven to the point where it's now ready for me to make the connection underneath the house.
    - Installed the first two pantry shelves.
    - Researched our sliding pantry door concept online since unfortunately there are no local places that can build it.

There were NO samples as promised by the flooring finisher. At this point they're holding up cabinets and a ton of other things in the kitchen so I looked up a few others to talk to today. It's beyond frustrating; we've been trying to get this going for an embarrassingly long time now. Today I start calling around other places. Here are the first two pantry shelves...

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Yea Autumn do a pilot hole. Then when you use your drill have one hand firmly around it and use a mantra if you need it 'firm and straight.' That helps me yo not be afraid to use it. You have to use a little force and can even lean into if you need it. Plus if you mess up just try again because people will notice the hook over the mistake (especially if you fix it or its covered up by a forgiving hook). Ask me how I know. :)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

schicksal, love that lonely can of demonstrative tomatoes, lol! That pantry is going to be a-MAZ-ing when you get the doors on it!

I am feeling really good this morning, and after throwing out phrases to renosarefun about how he has the ability AND opportunity I asked myself (duh!) What's MY excuse?

I have so many things to do...but that kitchen is boggin' me down, man, and I am going to focus there today, dog hair and filthy car be forsaken.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Last week of school for me (I'm a teacher), and it's crazy. 14 hour workdays every single day this week, so nothing accomplished in the kitchen. I did get to add an item to the list, because one of the new LED recessed lights I put in quit working.

Next week summer break begins and I'm gonna start knocking things out!

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

I'm tired just reading what everyone's been doing, lol. I'd like to respond individually to everyone, but get lost reading through all the posts.

edb2n - I sympathize (and celebrate!) with you on the last week of school. I taught high school for several years, and that last bit at the end is a marathon!

I did get a little accomplished yesterday - while waiting for the counter guys to arrive, I swept and vacuumed the kitchen, living room, and hallway. I can't have them thinking I live in a pigsty, lol ... even though everything is torn apart for the kitchen reno.

Then I mowed and weed-eated (weed-ate?) the front and back yard (small fenced yard inside about an acre fenced off from the horses, which are on the other 6.5 acres). Used the Cub Cadet to mow outside the small fenced area ... until the back wheel fell off the CubCadet. WTH??? I have no idea how all 4 lug nuts came off, I haven't touched that wheel since buying the thing 4 years ago. I don't think any damage was done, but I have to add that to the to do list.

Then I worked on patching a cutter quilt that I intend to make porch cushions from (covering frayed areas with tulle to keep them from getting worse).

This weekend is a 4 day weekend for me (I only work Mon-Thur, so always have 3 day weekends), but will only have about half the time available for work. We have a family event and a *big* antique auction to attend on Monday :-)

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Look at the accomplishments and enthusiasm! I think this thread has been invaluable. We get lost in the forest and don't see the trees. Many of us needed to see we were actually doing things, even tho the BIG projects stare us in the face. Every little job done is a JOB DONE that can be crossed off the list. Just starting a job, making the phone calls, drilling a hole, you name it, is an accomplishment.

Shicksal, I think both threads serve a purpose. The other kinda evolved into what needed yet to be done, whereas this thread celebrates what we have completed. Cross it off the list over there and crow about it here.

Autumn, I'm willing to bet you have the gun in reverse, if it won't drill. When I was trying to figure the thing out, I did that. Looked around to see if anyone was watching me be so dumb. Of course, I was alone with 7 cats (at the time) staring at me.

So.. It's only 10:30, but I've gotten my very temperamental printer to work to write and print a letter to another law firm suing me for one of the marriage debts I was forced to assume completely. [huge moan-sigh] God bless my POC now-ex-GC-DH. (For you online newbies: Piece of Crap, no-ex-General Contractor Dear/Damned Husband. Oh and LPOC is LYING piece of crap. These are acronyms from the late 80s, early 90s.)

Anyway, got that letter and do plan to actually walk to the mailbox and post it.

Have printed some investment apps from the little money my mom left her girls. Gotta get it in an IRA so it's untouchable. Or spend it on the house fast. (hmmm.... die on the job, no retirement and broke in a nice house? Or figure out how to manage both?) So I'll fill those out and walk to the mailbox, probably at the same time I mail the other letter. I'm nuttin' if not efficient.

Let's see what the day holds for all of us! I for one plan to mow my lawn and in the shade of the HOT afternoon, work on another section of my huge gardens.

Edited to add: Warning: Lecture ahead:
    HEY! Stop denigrating your accomplishments

DCEdward89, you THREW the laundry down the steps. That took physical exertion, hunting and gathering skills, and premeditation to get it out of sight and closer to the machine. [brushing off hands] 'Nuff said.

Meddam, YOU supervised the painting and work man. Doesn't matter if he's your stepson or the King of Shezzam. YOU got it done.

Localeater, shame on you. Making decisions is one of the darn hardest things to do. "May not sound like much.." HUH! That's HUGE and I know you know that.

So just be proud.
    This is NOT a "my kitchen's tiny and we did it on a [whispering a dirty word] budget, so I apologize for not living in a McMansion and having money coming out my bummy to waste on Saddam Houssain gold fixtures, but here's my insignificant, unworthy, eh reveal. Be kind" kinda thread. Puke.

Celebrate how cool we are and how much we get done in the course of a normal day, despite renovations. Or I'm gonna come kick your butts and steal your cabinets.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Thu, May 22, 14 at 10:54

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Looks real good schicksal - seeing your progress in print motivates me!

My plan was a sliding barn door. In the end, it didn't work out for several reasons. What I didn't anticipate was the already applied door frame molding (which I insisted on keeping ) got in the way of the sliding function. (Bottom plinth Molding was too deep/thick).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

schicksal, re your pantry shelves - we are having shelves built for our linen closet. Would these work? Would they have to be covered? What kind of wood did you use?

And my Fireclay backsplash tile is done and being shipped. Not my accomplishment, of course, but it feels like it is!

greenhaven, I know how you feel about a good handyman. This guy is great - so far, there's nothing we (or several friends) have thrown at him that he can't do.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I don't see why they wouldn't work. They're made out of the cheap whitewood your nearest friendly Lowes/HD sells near the lumber. I just stained it a nice color and gave each shelf two coats of varnish. 1x2 is installed along the sides/back and was finished the same way the shelf piece was.

Most of the trouble was with the 1x2 at the front but that was done for rigidity since the pantry is 8.5.' A linen closet would not need something like that since it's a lot narrower. Our linen closet was built that way in the 1950s and has lasted all these years without any trouble.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. Today was too muggy to even think of going outside. Boy, am I in for a hard time this summer.

So.... I did 4 loads of laundry.
    Dumped one on the bed it will eventually adorn,
    Folded one (I HATE FOLDING)
    Have one still in the washer
    Have one still in the dryer

And I'm leaving before they're both finished. That in itself is an accomplishment!

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Today I made a DECISION on the backsplash, finally! It is in stock, we will be picking it up tomorrow and it will be installed this weekend. So I hope to report on Tuesday that I am no longer a member of the ABB club!

Last week I ordered 54 new spice jars, which came in yesterday. I washed them all this morning and cut vinyl labels for them. After lunch, I labeled them all. My husband is going to make me a spice rack for my counter for my most used ones and the rest will go in the cabinet next to the stove. It is amazing how much better things fit when they are all the same size!

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

CEfreeman-I *wish* I could say it was that, you would be ashamed if you could see it, lol. I am a drill wimp! I need to just give it some moxy like greenhaven said. But I'm skered. I think I need to practice on drywall or something that would be hidden so I wouldn't have to worry about wrecking it. :) It's that and stinkin dh makes everything look so easy. ARGH!

Today we passed inspection and received our occupancy permit! Woo hoo!

In the past several months we have laid tile, laid wood floor, installed and sprayed trim, painted walls, built locker room cubbies and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.

I do believe I am ready to order my woodhollow drawer inserts. YAY!!!

• justretired
    9 years ago

Today we finished the third step in the process of stripping and painting our porch floor with Behr Deck Over. We are happy so far and will leave it to cure for a few days before recovering our support posts with a vinyl cladding and putting "the stuff" back.

I also lifted weights at my gym, walked with a friend and put all of my nursery plants into pots.

Enjoyed a lite beer on the patio and put burgers on the grill. All in all a satisfying day. Golf tomorrow!!!!

Congrats everyone on all of your accomplishments:)

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Today, I managed to get everything (almost) ready for our hardwood guys coming tomorrow. Everything is out of the living room. The basement got mostly decluttered enough to move the futon matress there so we have a place to sleep since we won't be able to access the bedrooms or main bath. I vaccuumed and mopped the floor down there - first time I've been able to do that since prior to the kitchen remodel due to all the boxes that were residing in the space. Did 3 loads of laundry. Cleaned the downstairs bath well - that's the bathroom the contractors have been using while they are here.

Began to stock/restock the downstairs bath with necessary items - soap, toilet paper, shampoo, etc. for our "mini vacation"...camping out in the basement.

I'm feeling rather burnt out from the whole renovation thing right now...I'm looking forward to a few days of not dealing with any of it. We still have a fair amount to go before we're finished. But, I really need a small break from it.

And because I couldn't stand being inside the house for any longer this afternoon, I went out and weeded more in the flower garden....I'm making a dent in it finally! While I was out there, I picked some of my mint and made a lovely mint iced tea this afternoon that I've been enjoying a lot.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

had a xurprise vvisit from a friend back home but managed to mow around the house all morning. I really need to come up with a lawn reduction plan. So nothing in the kitchen but really okay with that today.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Today I accomplished...
    - Getting rid of the flooring guy. I'm tired of broken commitments, I need the flooring sanded and finished already.
    - Found a place online I'd like to get a quote from on the pantry doors (huge step in the right direction).
    - Final measurements and info for the front door / sidelight sent to the lumber company. I also finally have the size for the three windows in the door.
    - Bought, stained, and finished the wood I need for the last three shelf supports, so #3 is ready to go in. Also put coat #1 of polyurethane on the fourth shelf but it will be another 2 days before it can be installed because the top needs another coat + one on the underside.

When I write it out it feels like I got more accomplished than I really did... maybe because I was focusing instead on about 3 other things I wanted to get done yesterday.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Wow! Like CEFreeman says, We ARE cool!

In the last two days I:

Vacuumed out all the cabinets and the bathroom vanity.

While I had the little sucker thing attached I went around all the baseboards to pick up stray remnants of drywall dust and wood putty globlets.

Bought a full load of groceries in anticipation of the contractor finally installing our pantry cabinet today (fingers crossed; he's still not here).

This morning I stowed away everything that was on the countertop that will be replaced today because of a ding during the original install and scrubbed the sink - because, you know, it's got to be CLEAN before the guys come to mess it all back up ;)

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Yesterday I rode the exercise bike for an hour, walked for 1/2 hour. Took the truck to town to wash it. Split firewood, gave our new outhouse TP holder two coats of poly. Fixed dinner....seemed like a productive day yesterday, but now I'm not so sure...

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Schicksal, your progress looks wonderful! Note to self: look into those energy drinks.

Autumn.4, maybe the screw gun you’re using is a bit too large for your comfort. I have worn out several, but I choose the slightly smaller ones (current one is an inexpensive Ryobi from Lowes) and my DH understands it is mine. It fits my hand better, and doesn’t feel as unwieldy as our larger drills. I agree, you could practice by putting some nice sharp drywall screws into a pine 2x4 scrap (nice soft wood) or a drywall scrap. Just get the feel of putting the screws in, and backing them out again. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll have a new sense of power, and you’ll feel like a gunslinger! Based on your other accomplishments, I know you can do this.

Yesterday I took my mother to a doc appointment, labwork, and a later PT session. I survived her emotional meltdown in the waiting room (anger/depression issues) brought her lunch, stocked her fridge with fresh fruits, veggies, and salad. Changed her bed, got her mail, straightened out a meds snafu.

Then came home, laid out a new part of our desert garden, and did laundry. (Did I mention, I am awesome?)

I patted the lid of the unopened trim paint I bought at Sherwin Williams back in April, after removing our horrid 80’s wall paper, and priming the walls. It pleases me to look forward to focusing back on our house again, in time. I love how this thread celebrates accomplishments large and small (thank you CEFreeman.)

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

Hauled half a truck bed of old paint cans and various unknown chemicals (left behind by the previous owner) to hazardous waste collection.

I'm off to Home Depot for bags of garden soil on sale, then I hope to work on filling nail holes and painting in the kitchen.

It doesn't sound like much accomplished, but those cans and mysterious plastic buckets have been an eyesore since I moved in - I am delighted to have them gone!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My goodness, we needed this. You guys are incredible. Look at all those things you do every day you don't even recognize! Pollying, Painting, vacuuming, caring, choosing, stocking, washing, (stop me) all without losing your sanity for falling over dead. Of exhaustion, I mean, right?

Today I went to get a new social security card. Unfortunately they moved without notifying me. The NERVE. So, what's a girl to do? [Gimme a Hell YA!"]
    Go thrifting.
    Visited H4H in Riverdale (MD) and the antique/2nd hand/junk store next to it. They also took a break and didn't notify me. The sign said to come back later, but NO, this chick's on a roll!

Off to Baltimore (MD) I charged. 2nd Chance, here I come. Oh, my are they putting in new furniture all the time. No Orphan beaded inset cabinets, so I passed on that. I did find some side lights to accompany my other side lights I picked up before. I'm going to make closet doors out of them. Way cool.

I also couldn't resist a pair of 30" doors with horizontal grids on their glass. They're gonna need some work, but that's just fine. What am I going to do with them? I have no idea if I tell you I'll have to kill you.

Picked up a face frame delivery from [drum roll] Brian and The Cabinet Joint.com. I am SO psyched about this. Beaded inset, of course.

Met with a Garden Web Mid-Atlantic Gardening member who is going to lease an acre of my land (A whopping $100 a year for water) to grow ... PEONIES! She is opening a nursery needs a place to grow them. PEONIES!

Managed not to spend my Multi-purpose Fred's drywall money. My MBR looks great with all skim coated drywall. I am Hap-peeeee!

Now, I'm gonna take a nap. I should mow the lawn, since I never go to it, but it's gonna be there when I decide to hack it down.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Finished the added storage under the widened peninsula ... the last shelves are drying in the garage.

Here is a link that might be useful: The 4-year kitchen saga :)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Today I DIDN'T get to swim in the pool (sad) because for the past two days we have had rain!!!!!!!!(HAPPY)

I live in an area under an exceptional drought, a wildfire a few weeks ago burned down 200 homes so YAY for rain!!

In lieu of swimming outside, I finally pulled out my workout videos I haven't looked at since we started the remodel in August and managed to get a workout in while the 2 littlest ones were napping.

Here's to getting back in shape.

• ikeltz
    9 years ago

CEFreeman Your post could not have come at a better time. Last night I had a total meltdown. We have been in the middle of a DIY kitchen reno(hubby made the cabinets himself!!) that has taken over my life. There are so many other house projects we have to do, that I despair of them ever getting done because of the kitchen.
    Finally, we are approaching the final phase. Wolf stove will be installed June 11th!! I can't wait. Sink will be ordered. Backsplash is already decided. Countertops will be marble, so I am looking for a slab that says "I'm the one"

So, thanks for reminding me, that all of the little things are accomplishments as well. Oh, and I worked out today too. So, all is good in the world.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Autumn4 ... get some scrap wood and a box of screws and practice with whatever is hard for you.

And, consider lighter or smaller tools. Try them out and if the grip is too big, look for a different model. I use mostly line-powered tools because batteries add too much weight.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Laura, happy to see another kitty on the counter. :)

Tonight my car is parked in the driveway because inside my garage is a vanity, bathtub and everything else besides my new toilet and marble slab. It all arrived today and my GC finally brought me my contract to sign. We also picked a spot for the porta-potty; Trebruchet, please take note. :p

Sunday, clear stuff out of the bathroom.

Monday, move litter boxes (joy!) and food/water dishes into my bedroom.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022