Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Cinclips Review

This is an undermounted sink that has had a failing silicone seal between the sink flange and the bottom of the stone.

The silicone is scrapped off, then abraded with a sander until the finish of the curve matches the bowl. There is no way to avoid refinishing the center divider. Silicone must be removed from the bottom of the stone, but you don�t have to get too fussy there.

The sink has been pre-fit dry to check the positive reveals. I had to grind off a tad of the faucet mount to get it back far enough; the sink must have sat under it previously. Now would be the time to change the faucet, but the customer would have to pay me and his wife�s ex-husband, a plumber, is apparently going to do it for free, but I digress. The silicone is applied to the clamped and lowered sink in this picture.

The sink is clamped into place, reveals confirmed, and there is silicone squeeze-out around the perimeter. I spray the squeeze-out with Windex which keeps it from sticking to the stone and sink, then wipe it up with a wet finger. Silicone begins to cure the second it hits air. Nothing is worse than trying to tool gobs of semi-cured silicone.

If you follow the instructions on the Cinclips box, you would have the sink taped in place. How you could accurately and easily adjust for reveals, clean up squeeze-out, and get tape to stick to a dirty sink is beyond me.

This illustrates the Cinclip mounted to the cabinet wall and the bar clamp through the sink.

The Cinclip doing its job. It�s really pushing on the sink; there was more squeeze-out to clean up after they were installed.

The sink is ready for immediate connection to plumbing and use. I performed a granite crack repair somewhere between the second light and refrigerator reflections on the sink rail, but again I digress.

I was impressed with the Cinclips quality and ease and speed of installation. For an inexperienced do-it-yourselfer they are the way to go over a Hercules Universal Sink Harness although they do cost 7 times as much. ($4.99 vs. $34.99) Even so at my rates and on certain sinks, I could see where the time they save could make them cost-effective. Obviously they won�t work if your sink is shoehorned into your cabinet. No clip system turns your sink into a 10" deep truss, however, as does the HUSH.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:24

Comments (6)