Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latimore_gw

Freestanding, 'pro-style' induction range?

latimore
13 years ago

I've just started considering induction over gas (propane) because of the safety factor (little kids), inconvenience/ expense of adding a gas line to our all-electric house (no natural gas here), and the big ugly white propane tank(s) we would have to have outside.

I have my heart set on a "pro-style" range. (My gas choice was the GE Cafe.) To me this means it doesn't have the controls at the back with the high back.

I can't do a cooktop/oven combo because this is going into an existing space. I can't afford a $6000 Viking.

I still don't get the difference between slide-in and freestanding, except that I understand that freestanding has finished sides. Can I put a slide-in into an existing space? There are cabinets on both sides.

Any ideas for an affordable (under $3500 or so) option that would have the look I want and the induction and is a decent product?

My other thought was - my old electric range still works fine, and I can live with it for a while. Would it be smarter to wait a year or two and see if any better options come on the market (at better prices)?

Here's an in-progress picture of where it will go. The countertops will be butcherblock (next week!).

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for your help!

Comments (15)

• oskiebabu
    13 years ago

There are quite a few 30" induction ranges available, from Kenmore, Samsung, LG, G-E, etc.

There are a lot more variations when you go to induction cooktops. Thermador and Miele make gery nice induction cooktops, with the Thermador 36" having the largest and most powerful burner on the market, with up to 4,600 watts at boost and 13" diameter.

While it is considerably more expensive3 to buy a separate cooktop and an electric stove, it does give you more flexibility in your choices and performance parameters.

Greg

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Am in the same position, in that I have a perfectly functional range that should not go to a landfill. As you point out, there will be more and varied choices in future, although not sure about whether the prices and quality will be good.

Have been messing around with a $90 portable induction plate in my temp kitchen but have not had the chance to really put it through its paces. I do know that water boils very fast. I also now know that it produces a fan noise that is not a part of old-fashioned cooking, a sound which continues even after turning off the item. I am unsure as to whether my old ears could tolerate this sound from all burners and not just a water boiler that is used occasionally. Currently I am not coupling the induction fan with an overhead fan, as I would be doing if I had an induction range. I assume that if the phone rang and I turned off the range, I would still have to leave the room in order to hear.
    ___
    Have been window shopping a bit. I really like the idea of a built-in second oven in a range, a small one that is also a warming oven and which is in the first position instead of by the floor. The idea of heating a small space for a small item or small purpose is so logical. I've used my old oven for years as a warming oven, but it's an awfully big space to simply keep a loaf of french bread ready for the second course in a meal.

I love the large storage drawer for pots in my range, but now that I am expanding my kitchen, pan storage is a moot point.

I think that I might enjoy a convection oven, but am wondering if it would also be noisy.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

florantha - I'm not sure it's fair to assume that because your portable induction hob has fairly loud fan noise that a real induction range will, too. I'm not saying that an induction range won't, but the two are totally different. Also, the wattage on the portable units (plugged into a normal outlet) is much lower than on an induction range, so it can't perform as well as a range. The Viking portable unit has the highest wattage, I think, so if you have that one, it MIGHT compare to a range (but probably not).

If you search the appliance forum, there's lots of info on all of this, both the portable units and the ranges.

I have a Max Burton portable that we are using during the remodel that does make quite a bit of noise and the fan runs for a while after I turn it off. You might have the same one. We love it and it has been invaluable during the remodel. I have an Electrolux induction range sitting in my living room, which will be installed in about a month or so. Can't wait to try it out!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

pudgybaby:
    Wonderful to hear you are going to be an induction range user. I look forward to hearing your impressions once it's installed.

Yes, am using the Max Burton also. At one point, I was reading reviews of induction ranges and they also said that users had to get used to the sound of fan after turning off the "burners." Or am I recalling this wrong?

Not sure what you are saying about relationship between wattage and fan. Fans are usually simple, low wattage devices. If the power of the fan goes up, the sound does as well. Probably more important for an appliance fan is the direction and method of venting the fan and what's vibrating when the fan runs.

You are motivating me to do some more reading. Am very intrigued by the induction ranges. I suppose I should figure out how to find the appliances forum, for a start.

• jessrae
    13 years ago

I am just trying to figure this exact same thing out! After reading so many wonderful things about induction, I knew I needed to find an induction range. And I also didn't want the high back. I just saw the GE Cafe and loved the look, but they don't make an induction range...yet anyway.

In the products I've looked at, the differences between a free-standing range with no high back (like the GE cafe) and a slide-in are:

1) The slide-ins do not slide all the way back to the wall. You will have a couple inch gap between the wall and the back of the range. Since you are putting in new countertops, you'll want to take that into consideration. Most slide-ins come with a filler piece for those people changing from a free-standing range to a slide in and need to cover the gap.
    2) Slide-in oven capacity is usually smaller than a free standing oven. I'm guessing b/c again, it doesn't go back to the wall it is just smaller to begin with.
    3) The controls on the slide-ins that I've seen jut out past the cabinets a good 3 to 4 inches. The free-standing don't seem to stick out so far.
    4) The stove top on slide-ins cover an inch or so of countertop on both sides, so it hides the gap that a typical free-standing oven has between the oven and countertop.

If I was you, I would wait. I unfortunately can't, we're switching from a cooktop and wall ovens to a range and will need to buy one this weekend. The only free standing induction range without a high back that I've seen is the Viking, a bit out of my price range. So I'm trying to decide between the slide-in Kenmore Elite or Electrolux.

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I also loved the GE cafe range. When I finally decided I did not want gas I considered induction again. But I also wanted the "pro" look with no controls at the back of the range. My kichen layout would not accomodate a separate cooktop and wall oven.

I tried to find out about the Viking induction range since it has a pro look but I could not find any comments on it. My appliance dealer said that anyone who buys in that price range goes for gas at their dealership and that is why they don't even have it on display.

So I decided on the GE Cafe glass top electric range and hope that one day they will make a good affordable induction range in a pro style. I also hope that my husband might let me switch out for it if they do.

My dealer has the GE Profile induction range in their employee kitchen. I told him I did not want that because I don't care for the look of it with the controls on the back. He told me he thought it made too loud of a humming noise and he would never purchase it for himself until they could correct such a loud humming noise.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

There are only a handful of induction ranges out right now. Samsung, Kenmore Elite and GE Profile freestanding (with controls on back), and Kenmore Elite and Electrolux slide-in (what it sounds like you want) are the only ones I know of except Viking and Diva.

We have the E'lux induction range, two months now, and like it pretty well, but to be honest, I have figured out all of the intuitive stuff without the manual just so I could continue to feed my family and have yet to really study what it can do. The induction is probably no more impressive than any induction cooktop but I do like it much better than our radiant top.

DH looked at both the Kenmore and E'lux and was more impressed with the construction of the E'lux, which is why we ended up with it. Yes, it sticks out past cabinet and counter, but where it is in my kitchen, I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me. It may bother some, and I did fret about it until it went in, but it's not bad.

It should fit in your space, but as jessrae said, you will have to fill in with something (appliance stores would have a stainless version, we have granite) to bridge the gap between the back of the range and the wall.

florantha, I don't think the noise is a problem at all. The fan runs when I am using both convection and induction but I can hardly hear it. It continues to run for a while after the unit is off and I don't know it's running unless I stand right there and feel the air coming out. As far as the hum with induction, the only time I hear it is when I use the power boost feature to boil water quickly, and it's truly a very quiet hum.

I haven't noticed a significant difference in oven size but I don't use huge pans; it's ample for most baking.

If you can wait, I would. Other companies are coming out with slide-in versions and prices may be even more competitive. However, if you are ready to have one, the E'lux seems to be a good model (so far, though I know 2 months is not a good sample). There is at least one other person who has one who has done much more extensive research (and reported on it) on Appliances. Go over there and search for Electrolux induction. Also ask over there and you may get more input from others who have more experience with the various models.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

jsweenc,
    Am very pleased that you have reported on the sound issue, both of the induction and the convection side of things. Very reassuring!

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

You currently have a drop in range, which is NOT interchangeable with a "regular" free standing or slide in range. Drop ins have the cabinetry piece at the bottom that is where the storage or warming drawer is located in a regular range. It also has a piece of countertop at the back of the range bridging from one side to the other behind the range.

You need to call your countertop fabricator NOW and make sure what type of template he did, because if he templated to fit your existing range, you won't be able to easily switch out at a later point. Butcherblock is more DIYable than granite, but you will still need to remove the strip at the back of the range and remove the cabinet panel at the bottom (and the platform the range sits on) before any standard range can fit there. And this is if you have a 30" drop in range. If you have a 27" drop in range, you'll have to almost completely redo the base cabinetry to have a 30" range fit in your spot.

You will also need to upgrade the electrical line to the back of the range if you choose induction. Induction ranges require a 50 amp circuit, where a "regular" range usually is on a 30 or 40 amp circuit.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Yes, I forgot about the wiring issue, but that should be a fairly simple thing for electricians to redo, if your current service has the capacity to add a 50 amp circuit. They had ours wired on whatever we already had (30 or 40) before they added the 50 amp, and we used it a few times. It will still work, you just can't use all the burners and oven together at full capacity without a 50 amp. And I wouldn't recommend getting induction without planning for the 50 amps.

I think the range is freestanding. The drawer at the bottom looks like storage in the same enamel color as the stove top, not a separate piece of cabinetry. If that's the case then it should be simple enough to add the bridge piece from the appliance mfg later, right?

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Sorry, I didn't click on the pic to see the full sized pic. All I looked at was the small pic, where it's hard to see detail. Nevermind about the drop in range drivel. You're fine in that regard. I feel like Rosanne Rosannadanna. Um, Nevermind.

• latimore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your advice and thoughtful comments. I appreciate it and it sounds like there are others looking for the same sort of thing... seems like the manufacturers would catch on eventually, right?

The electrician is coming soon for another project so I will ask him to check out the 50 amp circuit.

I would love it if the GE cafe range was induction. Maybe for now I will wait a bit and watch here and Appliances to see what's being introduced.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

lol, lwo! I've had more of those moments than I care to recall.

latimore, sounds like a wise decision.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I spoke with an E'lux CS rep on the phone this week and was told that the release of their freestanding induction range has been delayed until November (at least). I also need something now and will probably opt for the E'lux slide-in.

Jsweenc, I'm glad to hear you like yours. I think you're one of the first ''guinea pigs.'' ;-) Could you fit a roasting pan with a prime rib in your oven?

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

warmfridge, too bad about the delay on the freestanding, but I'm not surprised. Seems typical, doesn't it? I think you're right, but I've said before that it's not necessarily a good thing to be first. We were told we were the very first in our area to have one.

I haven't tried the prime rib yet : ) or much of anything but basic stuff but I'm sure I could fit that. Do you mean the roasting pan that typically comes with an oven, with the two parts to allow the grease to drip through? This oven came with one, and I haven't used it, but obviously, it will fit. All my old pans fit. The interior is ~15" deep x 22" wide.