Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Anyone Have 2 cm Countertops Instead Of 3 cm?

trudymom
16 years ago

Do any of you have 2 cm countertops instead of 3 cm? Are you glad you did that thickness? Suggestions? Please show me pictures if you have any.

Thank you!

Comments (15)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I ordered my countertops before I was hooked on this site and totally TKO. I didn't even know the difference. I have Silestone and I didn't want to pay extra for a fancy edge. So mine is just 2cm. I'm fine with it. I never notice.

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

Everyone in California does. Apparently 3 cm is an East Coast thing.

• User
    16 years ago

Yes, I think it is a regional thing. I am east coast and will be getting 3 cm but I dont think I would have understood or been aware of any difference if not for the good old forum here

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

I'm in CA and have 2 cm granite. There are yards around here that carry the 3 cm. Our installer and our research indicated that since we were installing on top of existing cabinets that the 2 cm would be better, anyhow. In the end, though, there wasn't a decision to make as the granite we decided upon only came in 2 cm.

Here's a pic of the side. You can see the plywood base, the granite and the edge - a full bullnose.

The granite (technically it's a quartzite) is Arcobaleno.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots more pics here

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I actually have both. Perimeters are 2 cm black AB honed, and island and baking centers are 3 cm carrera marble.
    It was actually an ordering mistake for the 2 cm, its a long story but we had the counter tops paid for for almost 2 years before they were installed. For a number of reasons we really had no choice but to go with it. I do really like them now. Was sick about for a day or two, but it gives the kitchen a more period look for some reason. Here they are.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Are you considering getting 2 cm without the laminating build-up?

My countertops are 2 cm thick. I had no idea I would end up with this thinness until the installers brought the slabs in. It just didn't occur to me that anyone would do them this way. But I went ahead and had them installed anyway, for various reasons, and regretted it the very next day. I thought I had ruined my whole kitchen re-do at first, but it's bugging me less and less as time goes on. When I ask myself why did I hate them so much, all I can think of is just that I'm not used to seeing such thin countertops. That's really not a very compelling reason, is it? Anyway, here's a pic of them:
    {{!gwi}}

• oofasis
    16 years ago

I'm in SoCal and all of the marbles I saw were 2 cm. I never considered granite as an option since marble was the only material in my heart, so I can't speak for granite. I worked with a fabulous fabricator who did an amazing job with the ogee edges. It really looks substantial. If the slab you love is only 2 cm, you can enhance it with a good edge the way I did.

My kitchen was completed eight months ago but I still don't own a camera. I have a few pix that someone else took before the kitchen was finished, but you can see in this photo that a good edge can make a real difference.

• deedee-2008
    16 years ago

I agree with oofasis that the edge on the granite/marble does make a difference. My new granite countertops in the kitchen are 3cm with a demibullnose and look so much more substantial than the almost identical granite in the adjacent powder room that is 2cm with an eased edge. I had no idea that the slab I got for the powder room vanity was only 2cm (I got it from another granite place and thought I was getting a bargain for the beautiful blue granite.) Even though the slabs aren't in the same room, the 2cm with the eased edge looks skimpy/skinny.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

I'm in Northern California, and the only soapstone I could find 3 years ago was 3cm. I like that thickness. 2cm with an eased edge looks too lightweight to me. But you do the best with what is available.

• claybabe
    16 years ago

I only wanted Verde Fuoco, and the 3cm slabs were too pink. We have an eased laminated edge. There really isn't a reason for concern: If you want no laminated edge you can have it; if you want a thicker look you can have it. Lily's kitchen is brilliant and she hated the look initially, but realizes that there is no reason to sweat it.

BTW I'm a west coaster and found plenty of 3 and 2 cm slabs. Maybe on the east coast there isn't any 2cm rock, but I didn't find it typical at all that there was only 2cm. In fact I found a lot of 3 cm rock (Portland and Seattle). My rock is a little hard to find, so the slab I wanted happened to be in 2cm. no problem (but you need a plywood underlayment).

• yesdear
    16 years ago

We were looking first at granite. Here in L.A. it's mostly 2 cm. Then we looked at soapstone at Marbolis in Anaheim. Theirs was 2 cm, not that pretty, and they were snotty to boot. So we are going with 3 cm Brazilian Black from Soapstone West in Escondido. Eased edge. Silly question that I forgot to ask: with 3 cm stone, is a plywood underlayment necessary? Or can you just install it right onto the cabs?

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Right on the cabs, yesdear:)

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Oooh, I'd love to get my hands on some 1 cm granite for our master bath remodel.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

pbrisjar,

If you are in socal, email me and I will give you the contact info for the 1 cm place. And their price was great! only thing was they dont stock it well so you have only 2 or 3 colors to choose from. They are mostly in the 2cm prefab counters business.

While traveling in China/Hongkong, we saw many high end hotels that had granite shower walls. That is where i got the idea of looking for thinner granite panels.

looks like it will catch on in the US slowly. it is a matter of taste, expertise, exposure and supply...