Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumnerfan

How do you . . .

sumnerfan
14 years ago

This may be a dumb question and if it is written somewhere and I have missed it, I apologize in advance. I have read many times people suggest using graph paper on line to make scale drawings of their kitchens. My question is how? Do you do paper and pencil drawings then scan them in? Do you use some program on the computer that I am not aware of? How do you get such nice drawings of your kitchens? Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• steff_1
    14 years ago

To do this you need a scanner. Check your printer and see if it has a scan function. If it makes copies, you should be able to scan and the scan program was automatically loaded when the printer was set up. If it does have this feature, then you will need to find and follow instructions with the scanner. After that, treat it like a photo to post it.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I think the drawings you are refering to were done with a computer program.

• sayde
    14 years ago

I know I am a technology luddite, but I have drawn pictures by hand, pencil on graph paper, then photographed them into iphoto, then emailed them -- this was suffcient to see what various design choices looked like and to give suppliers enough information for estimates.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Are you looking for a design program to do the drawing on the computer? Those are usually done with programs provided to dealers by the cabinet company. You can find basic versions on line that someone here might be able to recommend.

You can convert hand drawings to what is called a vector drawing, but you need a program such as Adobe or AutoCad.

• sumnerfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, thanks. Honestly I would like to post my kitchen to get some ideas and see what my options might be. I have a drawn it to scale and have scanned it; I just didn't want to do it wrong and be embarrassed.
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Be on the lookout for my kitchen soon.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

There are many ways to do it...

Best way (but probably longest learning curve)...pay $$$ and buy a design program...the advantage is that most offer a 3D view as well as 2D.

When I first started, I was very low-tech...I bought a pad of graph paper & drew everything by hand, took a digital pic, and posted it.

My first "upgrade" was to cut out "stock" sized pieces for appliances (e.g., 30" & 36" range) & cabinets and move them around on a drawing of my basic kitchen space...then take pics and post here.

We didn't have a scanner at the time, so the digital pic was my only option.

Now, I use MS PowerPoint. I downloaded free graph paper from the web and copy & pasted it to a MS PowerPoint slide. Then I created "stock" appliances, doors, windows, etc. and saved it all as a template. Now when I work on a layout, I make a copy of the template and work on it there. I save each slide/layout option as a separate "jpeg" file, crop/resize as necessary using MS Picture Manager, upload the results to Photobucket, and post here.

• morgne
    14 years ago

If you're familiar with excell you can use it to create graph paper... and then use the cell border option to actually "draw" on that graph paper. You can't do diagonals but everything else works pretty good.