Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniekehr

Kitchen layout - please help

jenniekehr
9 years ago

I am building a new home for my family of six and am having a hard time getting the kitchen layout just right. This is the layout as the architect designed it.

Click on images for a full sized pic.

The kitchen area is about 15'6" x 17'5". I need two doors, one to each of the eating areas (formal dining below hallway), and want a bar/island on the living room side. And I really need to keep the pantry.

The original plan simply doesn't have enough cabinetry so I've been toying with changing the layout. We just started dirt work on our house so time is growing short. We have about 4-6 weeks to lock down the design. Below are some images that our cabinetry company has come up with.

The fridge is in the wrong spot. We want it between the pantry and the door.

The far left cabinet will be a full size with no counter top.

Do you think this new layout will work?

Does anyone have suggestions to change/improve the space?

Comments (6)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Just from looking at the layout, are you committed to that angled island? It looks very dated to me. I'm sure you'll get lots of input but I would definitely recommend a straight Island.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Can you tell us a bit about your family? How many people in the family; how many cooks; do kids help in the kitchen; are you big bakers, entertainers, etc. This information, plus an overview of the whole first floor (what is to the right of the kitchen?) will help the layout gurus help you.

At first glance, I agree with Christina that I'd rather have a large and deep rectangular island. Also, I like the current location of the refrigerator as it will let people in the eating area get things from the ref (drinks, butter, salad dressing... the stuff I sometimes forget to put out with dinner) without crossing through the cooking zone. However I'd shorten that little wall next to the ref so that the door will swing all the way open.

I'd also recommend reading the sticky thread at the top of the forum, and looking through some of the FAQs on things like zones, planning for storage, etc. All good stuff I wish I knew when I planned my kitchen!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

The sticky has dead links. Check out the link I attached. I agree on the island. I personally don't like having to cross a walkway to get from the range to the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: new to kitchens

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

drawers, drawers, drawers!

this LO has you needing to cross a walkway to fill or empty a pot of water. that's dangerous

• jenniekehr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To answer one of the questions we are a family of 6 plus my 2 parents will live there too, although they do have their own smaller kitchen. So 4 kids and 2 adults will mainly be in the kitchen area. My kids do like help cook and my husband does like to bake. I like to cook, but not bake.

When you guys suggest the island what exactly do you mean? I am a very visual person so I have a hard time envisioning what you are asking.

On the right of the kitchen is actually the master bedroom, but I will see if I can post a full view of the downstais for you all. I really appreciate the feedback thus far.

• Jammrock
    9 years ago

Jennie's DH here. I've been fiddling with the space, trying to fit in a larger pantry and a more efficient space. This is what I cam up with.

The pantry ends up being about 6' x 7', which is large enough to have wrap around shelves. All the kitchen hotspots are in the core of the kitchen, which is left open for multiple people in the kitchen. Sink and range are closer. More surface area for cabinetry.

The built-ins are not in the best spot, but I haven't thought of a better place yet.

Any suggestions on this layout? Better or worse?

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts