Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twogirlsbigtrouble

Time to pick out the backsplash, need ideas quick!

twogirlsbigtrouble
14 years ago

Counters are going in Monday. We really should have the backsplash material already, because the tile guy is starting the rest of the tile work in our house this week. This is for new construction and the whole house should be done in like 3 weeks. Im pulling my hair out, in tears, etc. Havent packed a thing and Im 7 months pregnant. Ok sorry, back to backsplash.

So weve got creamy white cabinets on perimeter with soapstone, mocha stained cherry cabinets on the island with marble and brazillian cherry end grain butcherblock on top. Heres some pics & info for a reference point....

Stainless Steel appliances

Modern Aire Hood - stainless with hammered bands

Pendant Lights for island

This area will have open shelving...

Some type of 3X6 subway is what Im looking for. Behind the hutch will be painted beadboard, so no tile needed there.

I was thinking marble subways, but I worry they wont look the same as our marble slab (which is Venatino). Could these be too blue? And would it be too much with our soapstone?

I ordered some samples from Ann Sacks. Plain subways or beveled subways in a white or off white. OR plain or beveled in a crackle subway. Yes, no?

Any other suggestions? Should I keep it neutral since I have so much going on everywhere else? No color? Just cream or white?

Also, should I keep it plain behind the rangetop or frame it out and do some other size tile. Herringbone, etc?

Comments (20)

• bestyears
    14 years ago

oh such a beautiful kitchen you are going to have! It's funny, because my first thought was either marble or crackle subways, and then I scrolled down and saw you were thinking the same thing! To me the beauty of your kitchen is that you have used quality materials in a simple presentation, so I would stick with that on your backsplash. All of your choices fit that to my eye, so I would just stick the samples up and see what pleases your eye. I can't WAIT to see your finished kitchen!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Trish, oh my you have your plate full ... what a trooper you are! I didn't know you were having a baby ... congratulations! I hope you're getting lots of help and are getting a few moments to just rest and keep your feet up.

Your kitchen is looking absolutely beautiful so far, I cannot wait to see it finished. I'm in total love with all your choices.

You know I'm a marble-lover, so my choice would be the marble subways. I think they are quiet enough that they wouldn't detract from your gorgeous soapstone. As far as matching marbles, I guess I'm biased since I chose a marble backsplash that's quite different from the marble on my island because I was looking for something dramatic on that wall.

If you do decide to go with the plain subways instead, I think the idea of framing a herringbone area behind your rangetop is a great one. I love how mamadadapaige did that in her kitchen. She chose a creamy crackled tile which is really lovely. I'm linking below.

Please try not to work too hard or get too stressed out!

Erika

Here is a link that might be useful: mamadadapaige's backsplash

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Your kitchen choices are so so beautiful. Anything you choose is going to look amazing. But... given the choice of marble; I'd go marble.

• jen19083
    14 years ago

I second the marble subway vote.

• tearose21
    14 years ago

I like the crackle subway. I am struggling with the same decision, it's so much easier to make suggestions for someone else! BTW your choices are wonderful. It's going to be great! Trisha

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen so simple & classic. It'll be beautiful once it's finished. be sure to post some pics when finished. (you can wait til after baby comes , or maybe not you'll be really busy for a few months)
    Anyway, I like the simplicity & classic lines of the subway tiles. I think the marble ones might be far enough away from the island to make much of a difference. But the cream or white subways would look great also. What color is all of the trim in house ? Maybe go with whatever's closest to cabinet color.
    Good Luck with everything, try not to stress or that baby may come before he/she's (or you) are ready!

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm definitely favoring the cream crackle subways. In my opinion there is no use having 2 marbles that might not quite go together and no need for the wow factor of marble there with the amazing materials you have elsewhere. I think the crackle will be beautiful, soft, and elegant with an understated character of its own to let the rest shine. You could add some color if you wanted in accents or a liner, but since you're in a hurry, that might be too much stress? Almost any color you particularly love would look great in the classic palette you have.

But wait-- The other look I've seen that's nice is to do a softly colored subway (kind of a light to medium shade), like a gray, grayed green, or soft tan to give some depth and you won't have to worry about it being blah or matching/not matching the cabinet color. I think I like that idea best.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

twogirls... what kind of soapstone is that and can you PLEASE share the info on your pendants.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the marble, just afraid it will clash. What about calcatta 3X6 subways? Is that too different? It would be more creamy.

rhome - So you think I could do a little color? I was almost afraid too. I like the idea of a greyish green. I think it depends on how green our soapstone ends up being and what shade it is. Should I go beveled? Heres a greyish green from Ann Sacks...

remodelfla - I dont have a name for our soapstone, the fabricator didnt have one. They got it from Brazil, so its just a brazillian variety. The pendant lights are by Quorum and the style # is 882-65. Best part is, they were only like 40 bucks a piece. Waaaaay cheaper than some of the stuff I was looking at and I think they're totally cute! We did splurge on a Schoolhouse Electric semi flush for over the farm sink. We got this shade but in Vintage Green instead of the blue pictured...

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I forgot about the soapstone having green, but as long as you can see them together so you know you'll like the combo, I think you could do it. Green is probably the risky color of the bunch because of that, though. You could be really brave and do burgundy or a stronger gold. Have you seen any Gainey tile? Some really pretty colors of subways in their different lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gainey site tile page

• sailormann
    14 years ago

Another vote for the marble subway tiles to match

• bestyears
    14 years ago

What color paint have you used on your walls? It's just lovely!

• plants4
    14 years ago

Vote for plain (or crackled) tile. You already have two stones. It's time for something plain to act as a foil for them. There have been some extremely pale green or white-tending-towards green tile backsplashes on GW over the years, including recently, which would be very nice with the soapstone and the light fixture you just picked out.

• ebse
    14 years ago

I don't know, they are all so beautiful! I like the idea of a soft grey/green too.

Do you find that you think of one more than the others?

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

Question--will you really be able to get those Ann Sacks tiles delivered in three weeks? If not (my experience is that some of this stuff takes 4-6 weeks), maybe you could slow down--and wait until all the materials are in. I know what you mean, though b/c we are building and we want to get it all done at the same time so that once we are in, we are done! But, it might be worth just giving it some time.

All of that being said, I think either of your choices will be wonderful. I would probably keep it neutral with either marble or cream/white subways.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen is looking amazing already.
    I like the Remodelfl's idea of green/gray.
    With all your other elements whatever you choose will
    be so pretty.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bestyears - Paint color is SW Pavillion Beige. Thanks!

kelleg - I spoke with Ann Sacks and some of the samples they are sending are in stock, so she said they would take like a week to get. A couple have 4-5 week lead times. If I happen to fall in love with one of those, I will just wait.... anxiously.

I really dont want to mess up this decision, but I very much want to be done. Ive got samples on their way in lots of colors. Counters were installed today (Im in love - WOW), so I'll be able to see what everything looks like together.

• prill
    14 years ago

Please post pics of your counters installed... I'd love to see them. Priscilla

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

twogirls - late to the party - but if you're still thinking, I like RHome's soft green/gray suggestion and the crackle look best. Especially now that I've seen your other post and your AMAZING installation!

Eliz