Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

The One Where I Have a Drinking Problem ...

edeevee
9 years ago

The remodel of our Ugly Duckling lake house kitchen is almost finished so, of course, I had to add something else.

I'd like a beverage station where I could place my coffee maker and microwave to ease counter congestion in the prep area. Across the room, beside the sliding glass doors that lead out to the deck and the lake beyond it, seemed like the perfect place for it. The wall is 9' long and all I have going in there is a semi-custom pantry cabinet/broom closet that is just 3' wide. I already have a sentimental furniture piece I'd like to use. It's meant to be a dresser but the drawers are pretty shallow for storing clothes and the top needs refinished. I figured I could paint that out like the cabinets, install new pulls, and top it with a countertop that matches the other perimeter cabinets. Easy peasy, right?

But my husband likes that kind of flavored creamer that has to be refrigerated. And it doesn't make sense to have a coffee station on one side of the room if he'd have to journey to the opposite side to finish off his cup. So I need a mini fridge. Sounded like a good idea anyway because guests could grab sodas and beer on their way out to the lake, without disrupting any food prep that might be going on.

There are a ton of options for small refrigerators that fit our budget so again, easy peasy. But no.

The patio door trim ends just 18" from the wall on that side. The pantry cabinet is 18" deep, a tight fit. The dresser I'd like to use is, likewise, 18" deep. I've found an undercounter fridge that is 17 3/4" deep -- but won't it need to sit an inch or two from the wall?

If I have the pantry cabinet installed in the corner, and put a countertop over both the fridge and the dresser, it seems like it would have to stick out at least 3" beyond the face of the pantry cabinet. Would that look strange? Can you think of a way to configure things that is optimal for both form AND function?

I wish I could include pics but I still haven't found the box that holds my camera and I don't know how to upload to here from my new phone.

Help?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!