Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
launche_gw

NC New Kitchen Taking Shape

launche
9 years ago

Our new kitchen is taking shape, I'll post finished pics as it progresses. For us it was a risk as we've eliminated a breakfast area, which would have be small and to us make the space feel a little congested.

We opted for a island to seat 5 maybe 6 that we'll use as the breakfast table. That way we may actually use our dining room more than a few times a year. When we have a breakfast room/area we usually never use the dining room. So we figured the island will either get a lot of use or we'll divide eating equally between the island and dining room but we saw no need for us to have 3 eating areas in close proximity.

We hope the side island seating doesn't impact the walkways and various door openings one we actually start using the kitchen. I think we have about 40 inches all around between the island and other wall cabinets.

My wife picked a busy granite so we'll see how that turns out but she did the best with what they had to choose from at the moment. Granite should get installed in a week or so.

Comments (12)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

It is looking real nice! I totally approve of your decision to eliminate one of three eating areas in close proximity, as if you need my approval! ;o)

Hope you continue to post pictures, will love to see the granite. I think a busy granite will give your kitchen some vibrancy, and if you are careful with a backsplash choice it will be fabulous.

• launche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks greenhaven.

I agree the granite could give a bit of vibrancy to the space, we'll see. The back splash is a classic ivory field tile which has sandy brown tones and that was selected when we had another granite color in mind and was already ordered then we changed our granite choice as my wife wanted to try to keep the feel on the lighter side..

We will have to see how it all comes together, my wife is confident. So far she's happy.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

It looks very pretty so far, and I agree that the granite might add just the right degree of liveliness to your kitchen. :)

This post was edited by cat_mom on Wed, May 21, 14 at 10:42

• bpath
    9 years ago

The island is so petty, the legs make it look like a table, and I suspect you will use it as such, yet it's also an island. Don't worry, you'll use your dining room more, too.

Looking good!

• launche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No matter the case during parties people just tend to want to hover around the kitchen in our current home so we figured a larger island would work. It would have been nice to have the extra breakfast table but we didn't have the space to do it properly and the space not feel too cluttered.

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

That is going to be really lovely. Why type of granite did your wife choose?

• dgormish
    9 years ago

That's looks great! Love the color, space, island, etc. Fun to see it coming along! Keep sharing.

• launche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My wife chose a granite called Bianco Romano, looks similar to this picture. It was hard to find a slab with a uniform pattern.

We had last minute selection changes and this was one of the only light colored granite options they supplier had. I was not thrilled was the slabs the had on sight, personally I think a more neutral, calmer look but my wife was OK with the busy pattern and colors. I'm crossing my fingers.

We are having issues on fingering proper island support as well again, fingers crossed.

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

That granite is beautiful, I think it will look great in your pretty new kitchen! I'm no expert, but I don't think that granite is all that 'busy'. I look forward to seeing it installed :-)

Patty

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Looking great so far! I love the island-as-only-eating-area, too. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Where in NC are you?

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very pretty granite. I think it will look very nice in your kitchen.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I think it was wise to consolidate to the island and dining room. Really, unless you're quite the socialite or have a million relatives counting on YOU to prepare every single holiday meal -- and those when they just "drop by" we really don't need formal dining rooms much anymore.

I love the legs of the island. Combined with the granite, it's going to be quite a focal point. Don't worry. It's extremely common for men t 1) not want to change anything, which can mean builder grade white paint, or 2) to fear color. Sure, I'm generalizing, but eh it's true. So to take a breath and go with your wife's choice is cool, because I think she has a vision. :)

My first response to the picture was, "Oh, pretty." and I'm seldom a white kitchen fan. I look forward to seeing the vanished product! Really, really nice. Bright and cherry.