Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

here is my island slab, can I do anything other than a plain bs?

illinigirl
9 years ago

Wondering if there are any other good options for my BS other than plain white or white-ish subway tile?

I have shown the island with a sample of the island cabinetry color, but the perimeter cabs will be white dove and perimeter counters a black quartz.
[img]

[/img]

here is a photo I've rotated the orientation on to get a sense of the slab on the horizontal rather than vertical.
[img]

[/img]

here is a similar look

Traditional Kitchen by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Jane Lockhart Interior Design

Traditional Kitchen by Glen Ellyn Kitchen & Bath Designers Drury Design

I guess I'm hoping I can find a very subtle marble bs with variation in color but not as much busy veining. This is a look my husband really favors rather than plain white all over. We like contrast in our design.

Comments (19)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

That slab is gorgeous!! What is is?

I'm of the school less-is-more, so I won't be much help other than to say keep it simple with a plain tile that ties everything together. I love your choices so far.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle, thank you. I have no idea what it is. The granite yard calls is "Omega" which is a name they made up and is not found on google anywhere. I asked Karin on the stone thread and she said geologically it is similar to River Valley. It has similar coloring but fewer garnet spots. It will go perfectly with the black and white I've got going on in the kitchen and the SW blonde paint I want to bring in to warm up the space. Initially we chose a calacatta gold subway tile BS however that may be too busy to pull off, even though this granite will NOT be right next to the BS. So I told the builder to hold off on ordering the BS until I am sure.

I would also love to know exactly what it's called so I could find similar uses on houzz and what BS's were used with it. The tag at the yard said the origin is Italy.

• eam44
    9 years ago

This is Fireclay Tile's Foggy Morning with black patine, and I think it would be gorgeous with your choices. And no, you're not limited to white-ish or even subway tile. You can choose a number of shapes, and even colors without competing with your stone, especially as it is an island stone. Do my eyes deceive me or is there a greenish tint to some of the veining? You could go that way too.

I love calacatta gold, but I think you were right to hold off. If you want visual interest in your bs I would recommend you get it using a single color and an interesting shape (star and cross or arabesque) or layout (i.e., herringbone), not with alternative veining.

Good luck! I hope you find something you love.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like EAM's suggestion of a crackle tile. They have a thing going on but don't vie for attention.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I would be tempted to do something bold. A very pale lavender tile to pick up the color in the counter. 4X4 tiles with a just a hint of lavender would be stunning.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Love, love, love EAMS tile. Love your slab.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

EAMS, we're doing Fireclay's Ultra Cream with black patine crackle (in our very modern, white Ceasarstone counters, kitchen). Can't wait -- it should be ready by the end of May.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do I get the fireclay tile? I looked at the website And it's only got two showrooms in California. What is the cost of these times roughly?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan- it sounds like these tiles have s long lead time? I only looked at the website on my phone so I haven't looked into all the details.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The lead time is about 6 weeks. The tile price depends on the size. Ours are 2 x 4s and they're $40 psf. If you get under 24 sf, you have to also pay a $100 setup fee. They'll mail you samples for free.

• Evan
    9 years ago

What about Thassos marble? No veining and only very subtle color variation. But it has really neat crystalline flecks that catch the light.

• melkel31
    9 years ago

the fireclay tile- u can request FREE samples- FREE ship too. what is your style? traditional,? rustic? - I attached a pic of something I was looking at but my taste is rustic! ;) Personally I think it could look really cool if you are going for something like in the pic you posted. such a tough decision I know!! going through this myself now!! :) good luck!

• julia42
    9 years ago

I have to say that when I saw distance photos of crackle tile, I really liked the look, but when I had crackle tile samples in my kitchen, they seemed way too busy for me. Now, I do have pretty minimalist tastes, so maybe it says something about me...

I realized, though, that what I really liked about the crackle tiles in the photos was the subtle color variation from tile to tile. I've found a few tiles that seem like they offer this without the crackle. In a situation like yours with two cabinet colors and two granites (one of which has a lot of movement), I might look for a more hand glazed tile look without the crackle. It's softer, more subtle, calming, less busy.

Ann Sacks Capprichio line is one that I looked at. I think, though, that I'm probably going to end up with one of the Allen Roth ceramic tiles from Lowes. They have a really pretty translucent glaze. The colors are a little limited, but I actually think they'd work well with your palette - you might look into them. They're a good budget option, too, if that's a consideration... The colors I'm considering are Fawn and Pearl (cream and gray), but they have chocolate and taupe also.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Julia. I like this idea of a color (even if it's white or grey-ish) with variation like this. I ordered some samples from fireclay, and now I will find out who carries the Capprichio line you mentioned. I am really liking this overall idea.

Thanks!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

What about something like a mix of off white tiles from Ann Sacks (or someone else) like the backsplash in this kitchen?

[Farmhouse Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2114) by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators Tommy Chambers Interiors, Inc.

The designer doesn't provide specifics but I think it might be Davenport field tiles (see link below). Click on "Colors & Finishes" to see the off white choices they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks tile

• localeater
    9 years ago

Love your slab. I definitely think you go outside the box and do a hue that is non-white. For the longest time I thought my kitchen needed a white or cream and after a million samples that didnt feel right I ended up with a very light green that immediately fit the bill and created warmth, coziness, and no business.
    I think the lisa a posted is Trikeenan Tile Random Whites Blend, it seems familiar from when I was contemplating a backsplash.
    Even is you decide to stay white and cream, you can add subtle interest with texture and shape. It doesnt have to steal the show or draw the eye, just a little 'something' to make you smile when you see it.

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

Have you seen this kitchen? She chose a really unexpected tile that I think looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soibean's kitchen

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

Here is another favorite of mine with similar elements as yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marmoreus' Kitchen

• eam44
    9 years ago

You're welcome! I'm so glad you like the look. These tiles are amazing irl too. By all means consider color as well. They have lots of subtly beautiful glazes.