Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1980's white/wood kitchen cabinets

Posted by lisamamot (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 10:02

We are considering a secondary residence condo purchase and all the condos in the area have the same 1980's white/wood kitchen cabinets. Has anyone successfully spiffed-up cabinets such as these?

We need to rip out all the carpet in the condo and would put down Pergo (it is a downstairs unit and that is permitted). In the kitchen, we would remove the linoleum and tile the floor, and will replace the counter. Hoping to not have a total gut if possible. Budget may not allow for new cabinets.

The condo we are considering is being sold unfurnished and I plan to decorate the space in a more contemporary manner with clean lines, fun colors, and inexpensive industrial type lighting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1980's white/wood kitchen cabinets

When I lived in a house like that (twenty years ago fortunately) we looked at putting new doors on the cabinets. Others would know how expensive it is, but it shouldn't be that much. You could also price replacing with Ikea cabinets. That would certainly give you some clean lines/fun colors options.

o

Agree resurface, new doors and drawer fronts.

o

Our house had those cabinets when we moved in 10 years ago; I refaced them myself because I couldn't stand them. Back then I was even more clueless than I am now, I ordered white MDF doors thru Home Depot. Now I would order something much nicer thru Barker Doors or Scherrs. That was my first DIY project, I literally bought a drill and used it for the first time! And I had a 6m old at the time. Still, it held up for 10 years and hopefully will be replaced soon with a total gut renovation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here