Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yalisa_gw

Soapstone concerns warranted?

yalisa
13 years ago

We are trying to decide on our countertops for our in-the-works kitchen renovation. After reading a number of posts on GW I am considering soapstone rather than granite.

I spoke with my kitchen person today and she is not a fan of soapstone. She said that when you put a glass of water down, it leaves a residue ring; there is a lot of maintainance; and that it soaks up the mineral oil so fast that you need to constantly be oiling it. She also mentioned that cooking grease would soak into it, etc. She admits that it LOOKS beautiful - if you rarely use your kitchen.

Now, I am unsure. Are these concerns warranted?

Comments (8)

• growlery
    13 years ago

It is true that soapstone is not for everyone, and you should do research and read the many threads here, specifically about chipping.

You should, even moreso, look to your own tolerance for and appreciation for patina, what soapstone lovers call "the lived in look, and what soapstone haters call "all these horrible little chips and scratches ruining my counter".

The tiny little chips and scratches are GOING to happen. Your reaction to them -- either freaking out or accepting them as part of the deal, like you would to a piece of wooden furniture, are the biggest part of the decision. Do you throw out jeans when they've had a few washes? Do you look forward to shoes getting broken in? Or do you run around the house with a Magic Eraser and a Swiffer, yelling at everyone to use a coaster? If you're the latter, soapstone probably will probably leave you frustrated.

What I can tell you is the two specific criticisms your kitchen person has given you are not true. Soapstone is NOT porous, it does not absorb anything. Oil does eventually evaporate off, but it takes awhile. I never get rings.

The only thing that does happen is that the oil wears off unevenly, and I am bad about reapplying. If I wanted a shinier, more even surface, I could have one.

I recall there have been discussions that a very few people who were getting water spots had their counters rehoned and the problem stopped. Maybe they can speak about that.

I have had mine for about a year and a half and love them. They are very little maintenance. I put pots straight from the oven on them, and don't worry about spilling anything on them. I think I've only oiled them twice. I have only one tiny chip, and scratches become invisible after oiling.

Good luck with your choice!

• focylrac
    13 years ago

My KD was not very familiar w/ soapstone. The local granite place was not pro-soapstone to the point where they had a really soft example that I can't imagine anyone wanting. So I think there is a fair amount of misinformation floating around for people who are trying to steer you toward another product. There is a TON of info here on the kitchen forum discussing all aspects of your concerns. If you use the search feature you can find most people have solutions or suggestions for one issue or another but it is my understanding that soapstone will fit into my working kitchen. Mine will be installed Monday and I can guarantee that I researched it to the hilt and I feel confident that I made the right selection for my well used kitchen. Hopefully the search function is working, but if not try googling soapstone and gardenweb and that'll lead you to the many discussions.

• prill
    13 years ago

I agree. I went with soapstone kind of on a whim. After looking at slabs and slabs of granite, I decided I wanted to go with something different. I chose soapstone. Mine doesn't get rings, I never oil it. You don't HAVE to oil soapstone. Only if you want it to darken, or darken faster. Soapstone does not absorb anything that stains. I don't even get marks from cooking oil. If you do, you can scrub the soapstone a bit with the scrubby side of your sponge. You can actually sand out marks and chips.

So, I would say your kitchen person doesn't really have the full story. Probably because she hasn't dealt with it that much. There are many, many people here who have soapstone and love it.

I would suggest doing a lot more research on the subject. Go check out some places that carry soapstone. Get some samples and test them. Put oil and butter and lemon on them. Soapstone does come in softer and harder varieties. Be sure to find out which is which when you choose. I've had mine just over a year now, and I love it.

• megpie77
    13 years ago

I have soapstone and love it. There were a couple of people on here that had problems with rings/spots. I believe one was pluckymama (I could be wrong) and I want to say it was resanded professionally by someone who fixed the problem. I believe the majority of us with soapstone haven't had this problem. Hers may have had to do with the original fabricating of the stone? Yes sometimes there is a ring and I wipe it up and though it looks to still be there it dissipates within a few seconds!

Soapstone, from what I was taught, does not "soak" up the oil. You put oil on with a rag (I prefer the wax/oil combo from william sonoma) and wipe off as much residue as you can. The rest of the oil dissipates rather than getting absorbed, because soapstone is not porous it can't "soak" up the oil. In the beginning it is (mine anyhow) chalky and requires frequent oiling if that is what you choose. Some people like the way it looks unoiled. After the color darkens you oil it less and less each time. I oil mine about every few months only if I feel like it, but now that it has darkened a bit I like the way it looks unoiled.

Soapstone is also great for rolling out dough! I make rolls from scratch and it's the perfect surface to work on, well next to marble. I do get some cooking grease on the counters but it's hardly noticeable and you just wipe it up just as you would any other surface. Adding a little soap to the rag will take some of that grease up. (my kitchen rags are always a little soapy). It's really not that big a deal. I also love that no matter what I spill on it I do not have to worry about etching, staining, etc. It's so dense nothing can really hurt it. I can even set hot out of the oven pans on it, (though I'd be carful with glass-it could crack from the cold surface? I haven't had this happen and have set hot glass baking dish right on it, but just FYI I suppose it could crack the glass.) It does scratch and I have a few dings from dropping heavy items on it, but ask anyone about this and they'll tell you they do not mind because it adds "patina". The scratches I have blend right in with the veins and when oiled aren't even noticeable and if I really wanted to I could sand out the scratches. What other stone is as easily repairable?!

Soapstone is going to be some maintenance, but I am willing to live with this minimal maintenance because I love my counters.

I hope I've shed some light on some of your concerns and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: my soapstone

• rjr220
    13 years ago

yalisa;

Sounds like you KD is not fully informed. Do google searches for "soapstone gardenweb" and you will come up with a wealth of info.

The key is the fabrication of the counter. If you let us know where you are generally located, the kind soapstoners here will let you know who they used and their experience, so you can get the best fabricator for your area -- and perhaps who not to use.

Mine gets installed Tuesday by Florida Joshua . . . .

• spamama
    13 years ago

Hi yalisa, yes I think your KD is either misinformed or they are trying to push another product. We ran into that a lot when we had our kitchen done. We went with soapstone. I was tired of looking at everyones granite. It's all the same. I wanted something different than all my friends. We went to several places (M&G places) trying to get soapstone and they kind of looked at us like we were crazy. We ended up having to go to an actual soapstone supplier (we used Dorado Soapstone here in MA). I really really love my counters. No nothing actually penetrates soapstone, and there is no maintenence at all really. They told us the oil is used for aesthetic purposes only. We bought their wax mix and it was a couple of times the first month and then once a year after that. If you are worried contact a dealership and ask for samples and play with them. Good Luck!

• sundownr
    13 years ago

I think if we had a dollar for every kitchen designer or granite seller that said what all is wrong with soapstone we would all be rich. Most of them don't have a clue. If they did they will tell you what growlery said.

I love my soapstone. I hardly ever oil it anymore and not because I'm lazy (I am) but because I love it like it is.

There is NOT a lot of maintenance. You wash it after cooking or meals just like you would any other material. And if you like it oiled, you oil it every couple of months. No big deal.

There aren't smudges (like some granite) or stains (can't stain it) and you can see the food and crumbs so you know it's clean when you clean it (unlike some busy granite).

• teresinasoapstone
    13 years ago

Yalisa-

Your concerns are something we hear about a lot as well. There is a lot of misinformation out there. I would call a local soapstone company and ask them to send you some samples and once you get them beat them up worse than you would your countertops, then try to get the scratches out. See how everything goes and if you still think it is something that you would like in your home, well its YOUR home get what you want :)

As for cooking grease making it darker this can happen, especially in areas around your stove if there is a greater amount of grease splatter (the soapstone is reacting to the grease as it would to mineral oil) If your countertops are oiled this wont be noticeable. If you decide to not oil your countertops then I would suggest you keep a spray bottle of nail polish remover or acetone which will remove grease or mineral oil from your soapstone bringing it back to its natural state :)

Megpie and Spamama made a good point as well about the new wax thats around now which will keep your countertops darker longer. It is a lower maintenance way of keeping your soapstone looking the way you want it!

I really hope all this information proves helpful!! Would love to know what you decide on!

~Carrie
    www.teresinasoapstone.com