Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Wall mounted storage system Lee Valley

fishymom
9 years ago

Does anyone use the Wall mounted storage system from Lee Valley? I am considering adding this for extra storage on my range wall and wondering if anyone has used this or a similar system. Here is the wall I am considering using it on:

It would run across the entire wall, just under the wall cabinet, with hooks for utensils, 2 spice racks, quiver, small cutting board holder and the shelf with towel bar. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Wall mounted storage system

Comments (13)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I use the ikea grundtal system and love it. I have my rail mounted to the bottom of the cabinets, rather than through the backsplash.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Errant! Do you have any picture off your Grundtal system, would love to see them. My biggest concern is that the rail will have to be mounted to the backsplash area on at least the left side, making it a pretty permanent decision.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I'd like to see a photo too, Errant! I'm assuming the screws are short enough to not be poking up through the bottom of the cabinet.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want it - one of the goals of my kitchen remodel was to reduce clutter on the counters. But you have a completely different layout - I have the benefit of drawers near the range. I would also worry about the items placed there getting greasy and dusty.

Is your cabinet to the left of the range a door or pullout? Can you mount a spice rack on the inside of the door? That would be my preference.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The bottoms of my cabinets are 3/4", so I just made sure to get the right length screws (Ikea does not include screws with their system).

I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ankh, my range wall is small, from left to right on the wall is pantry, hood, 15" wall cabinet. I have about 12" to the left of range and 24" to the right. I have plenty of counter space and storage on the opposite wall, but limited space next to the range. I have small cabinets on either side of the range, one is divided for cutting boards and baking sheets, the other is a spice pullout, which I also use for my larger bottles, vinegars and oils. The top shelf holds 24 of my smaller spice jars. The bottom shelf of the cabinet to the right also has spices and condiments. I have considered a spice rack on the door, but it is so small, the racks I have found would only hold 6 jars on 2 or 3 shelves.

My main attraction to the rail system is the spice rack, the shelf that I can use to hold my iPad while I am cooking and the hooks/quiver for utensils. The rail would take these items off my counters, but still have them accessible. I'm not too worried about it getting greasy or dusty, I know that anything near the range will get dirty, so I will just make cleaning them a part of my routine.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

My house came with the Grundtal on the sink wall, so we are using it, and it is sorta convenient, but I am not planning on putting it back when we remodel. The horizontal bar on ours sags a bit and that bothers me.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ineffablespace, do you have any photos of yours, would love to see it! I was wondering about sagging, I will have 2 rails pieced together, 1 is approximately 39", the other approximately 24". The dimensions work for me, the long piece will span from the pantry to the right edge of the stove and the smaller one will continue under the wall cabinet to the end of the wall. I talked to someone that sells them and she said that the rail on the Lee Valley system is sturdy and shouldn't need additional supports for the 39", but I can add an additional support if I am concerned.

I wish there was an Ikea close to me, I may have to make the 2 hour trek to check it out. I wish they still had the Grundtal 3 tiered spice rack, that thing looks sweet!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Since you asked...I would think long and hard before deciding to have this installed on a tile backsplash. That means you have to continue to love it for a very long time. If you decide to take it down at some point you'll have to deal with holes in your tile, possibly removing and replacing those tiles. That alone would turn me off of this system.

I know I would also get lazy about removing all those attachments to clean them constantly. They will basically be right in the path of all the grease, heat and steam being pulled up into your hood and seem like they will get dirty every time you cook. Definitely would not work for me.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

For your iPad, maybe consider one of these under the cabinet to the right...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, Fishy! I completely forgot to take a photo when I got home. I was hung up in dining room curtains ;)

I found this one I took while we were still doing the BS. It was taken to show the seam in the granite, but you can see a bit of the Grundtal system I have mounted to the bottom of the cabinets.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Thanks, Errant! I might consider doing this between my stove and sink. I need to think about it some more. LOL

• ardcp
    9 years ago

dcward89- love that pull down rack! where did you get it?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!