Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdm929

Mid Continent Cabinets

jdm929
14 years ago

Does anyone own cabinets by this company? If so do you like them. I found them in a local supply company and am considering ordering them. Any imput about them would be helpful.

Comments (11)

• chefkev
    14 years ago

I live in Madison WI and ordered Natural Maple Cabs from UBC (United Building Center). I have had them for a little over a year now. They look great. I consider them an excellent mid-range choice. They are much nicer and sturdier than something like Aristakraft. They are not as nice and do not come in as many finishes as Dynasty/Omega, but of course they cost a lot less. I'm very happy with them and particularly happy with the service my local UBC provided.

My GC, who I still think walks on water even after my whole first floor remodel, steered me towards them as the best value for my budget. He liked Medallion slightly better for the money and felt they had the best finish. The Medallions may have been slightly less, but my local big box store that sold them didn't seem particularly competent in this area and I envisioned all sorts of problems like delays, not getting what I ordered, getting damaged pieces and having problems returning them.

Also I ended up dropping my first KD part way through. His design was worth every penny I paid, but he was terrible on little details like measuring accurately and kept trying to seduce me way over my budget. The Madison UBC had an in-store KD (no extra charge) that was great on the "little details" and did a super job helping me fine tune the kitchen. Everything arrived on time and generally in great condition. I got prompt replacements for one or two scratched items and a couple that weren't damaged but had really serious natural stains or marks that didn't look good (not all places will let you return this kind of thing and everyone, including UBC, will tell you wood is a natural product and to expect some natural variations).

These are framed cabinets and my one complaint would be that the shallow drawers have less usable height than most (only 3") which means a number of spice and other inserts are not usable and has required some extra time and creativity on my part. None the less, quality and service wise we're very happy and we stayed within our budget.

P.S. Whatever you choose, get the full extension drawers.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

We were considering those for budgetary reasons, and I decided I'd just have to increase the budget after looking at them up close in a spec home before the countertops were put in.
    We were pricing them out with plywood ends, and Mid C was giving the soft close dovetail drawers as a free upgrade.
    Understanding these in the spec home wouldn't have all those upgrades, we were still sorely disappointed. We weren't impressed with what we thought seemed to be a low grade particle board. I thought Kraftmaid's sample of their particle board was a nicer quality.
    The biggest problem though, was that there was paper laminate on the ends, and on the shelves, which was already peeling off and bubbling up on this newly installed cabinetry. And I checked -- it wasn't a peel off plastic protecting the cabinet finish on the ends - the actual paper laminate was bubbly.

However, my KD did call back and said that Mid C is also offering all plywood upgrade for only 5% up charge. I still would only consider that if they told me no paper laminate on the ends or the shelving.

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

I have them with the plywood upgrades, blum soft shut drawers etc. Very happy with the look of them. I also like their lazy susans in two of my corner cabinets. And mostly, I love the price.

In my city co-op I have Kraftmaid. Also with plywood and soft shut drawers etc. They cost more than twice as much. Looking back at that purchase, I think I wasted my money. They're cabinets!!!! You put dishes in them!!!! It's not that "deep". But that's just my opinion.

• swickbb
    14 years ago

I have them as a vanity in my bathrooms. Love them! We got the plywood also and they come with the soft close drawers. They take some getting used to but all in all I'm really happy with the cabs and they look great.

• lkremodel
    14 years ago

chefkev: We're also in Madison and got our cabinets at UBC. I thought they were a great resource. We did quite a bit of remodeling and used each of their lines in different places. We had an excellent experience also with them and their kitchen designer. We also had a great builder. I was surprised to drive past the west location and see they had a different business name. Hopefully, their products and service will remain good quality and value. I'm surprised that more people in our area don't check this place out.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Just wanted to give an update on this thread. I did go ahead and start looking at the Mid Continent in the all plywood box. The price just can't be beat, and I'd get the free upgrade to the nicer drawers with the Blum glides and soft close and they still have the 5% upcharge off all plywood. I did find out the shelves would still be paper laminate, but not the plywood sides.
    I don't know if he just wants me to go ahead and order, but he said they've kept extending these offers cause they are doing a booming business as a result, but it might all be over at the end of June.
    I sure hope they extend it.....I'm not quite ready yet! Rumor has it they'll extend it till the end of the year. Of course if they meet their numbers for this quarter, then they might end it.

• RoxySD
    12 years ago

Bump! Anyone else have feedback on Mid Continent? We are considering them for our new kitchen and bathrooms too.

• km116
    12 years ago

If any one is thinking of buying new cabinets for their home, I highly recommend you to stay away from Mid-Continent Cabinets. I was told by a good friend that the quality of this company is really good, so I placed an order in April 2011 and wanted them by August 1, 2011, they didn't arrive until end of 2nd week of August. I've ordered about 16 cabs and 1/2 of the doors were defective (center piece of wood were shift during shipping). The sales rep came by, told me that they probably used the wrong size spacer which cause the shifting to happen. It took them a bit more than 1 month for them to replace all the doors. When I opened the 1st box, I almost passed out because they were labelled "Espresso" but it looked brown to me. All the door didn't match my original order. Then it took them another month to re-order and 1/2 of them were still the "wrong color", 1/4 of them still have the "spacing" problem. I got pregnant at that time and I had to wait for my kitchen to be completed (and I am talking about middle of Nov., 2011). Finally got the shipment again on Jan 6, 2012, only 2 doors out of 9 doors were good, others still have coloring and spacing issues. The same night, I had a miscarriage...from stressing out...THIS IS NOT WORTH IT. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS COMPANY TOTALLY HAVE NO QUALITY CONTROL. THE SALES REP MAY BE A VERY NICE GUY BUT I REALLY REGRETTED THAT I DIDN'T DEMAND FOR A FULL REFUND AFTER THE 1ST REPLACEMENT. BECAUSE IF I DID, I PROBABLY WILL HAVE MY KITCHEN TOGETHER BY NOW AND I WON'T LOSS MY BABY.....

• sally87
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm about to order Mid Continent Cabinets and the cabinet door my husband really likes is doing the same thing that km116 mentioned -- the center piece of wood is shifting on the sample door in the showroom (it's the Burnham door style, though also noticed it on the Jamison style as well). I was told that possibly the wood is shrinking/expanding due to the weather, but I think what you're saying makes more sense; that something is actually wrong with the way it was made (wrong spacer size is causing door to shift). I'm a little leery to buy either of these door styles with the middle panel loose like that. The stain is not on this newly exposed wood that is exposed when that center panel moves around and that's not what I want in my kitchen -- a strip of bare wood on nicely finished cabinets! The customer service you've received in an attempt to fix this problem seems quite frustrating.
    Anyone have the Villa door style and, if so, any problems with this center panel shifting around?

• cyngar
    12 years ago

We're seriously considering Mid Continent Cabinets also based on great success by our GC and KD, looking at the Parsons with 5-pc drawer fronts, plywood and dovetail upgrades

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Continent

• scottandcathie
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have had Mid Continent cabinets in my kitchen (espresso maple and harvest cherry combination) and harvest cherry for a little over 4 years, and in the 1/2 bath on the main level for 1 year. They are great, look great and have held up very well. I do not have little ones around daily but I do have grandkids regularly and they get opened and closed almost as a game and they are sturdy. No issues whatsoever and they were very affordable. One of the doors on the bathroom cabinet came with a streak in the wood that looked to me like a lighter strip in the grain. The cabinet company came by to measure for my master bath and noticed the streak in the 1/2 bath cabinet. I didn't think it looked bad at all but he said he was going to call mid-continent and ask for a replacement. He took a picture and sent it to them and they are replacing it a year later. They are not frameless and in my opinion, that would be the biggest negative but i think they look great!