Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

backsplash ideas for Sea Pearl or Volga Blue

Peke
10 years ago

I am totally undecided on which stone to get...a Volga Blue granite (cheaper) or Sea Pearl quartzite (more expensive).0

So I thought maybe finding a backslash to go with both would "cure" me enough so I could choose one.

So please help, before I am fitted for a lovely white jacket with really long sleeves that tie in the back.

Comments (66)

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is another picture of White Python from the same site. Couldn't they have chosen a better name? Python doesn't fit at all. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to post a pic of my floor and cabinets. The floor will get refinished in a few years. The previous owners had black marble tile with white veins running through it. It could have been saved after the sheetrock guy messed it up while dragging ladders and tools over it. He also messed our wood floors and we can't get the sheetrock dust out of them. He also gouged the wood floors while installing the sheetrock on ceiling and walls. Then he dropped wall compound everywhere and left it. He told us he would cover the floor but he forgot.

So we had old oak flooring. We couldn't put new flooring with it. It would be so obvious. We had about a 30' x 8' section of the same flooring in the bedroom. I do not know the PO's reasons for that. The rest was carpet. We removed the marble and put the wood floor from the bedroom in the kitchen. It is not perfect, but it works for me.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correction...White Python quartzite has blue, green, and white in it. Still looks like it has gray to me.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is where I found all those blue quartzites. The Cristalo is gorgeous. I saw it in Tulsa. They had made a countertop of a dark granite and put a thin band of Cristallo around the sides part and put led lights behind the Cristalo. Here is a picture. Sorry it is crooked. $170.00 per sq Ft to buy and fabricate. Wow

Here is a link that might be useful: marbles of the world

• flevy
    10 years ago

I have a Sea Pearl island. I absolutely LOVE it. But mine was labeled a granite, not a quartzite. I don't know if they're the same, but I'm guessing they are. Anyway, it is resistant to EVERYTHING so far. Red wine in the morning, ketchup stains, chocolate, crazy glue, orange juice, oil...they've all been left to sit over night by the kids and it wipes up so easily. Water rings don't show and don't stain either. I honestly couldn't be happier.

As for a backsplash, I can't help you with that. My perimeter is premium black and we're going with a rough textured white subway tile.

I also saw a post that you were asking about seams in the sea pearl. My island slab was big enough that it didn't need to be seamed so I can't help you there.

Good luck with your choice. I couldn't be happier with the stain resistant, marble looking stone that I ended up with.

Here's a pic of the island. Cabinets are grey with a black brush and the perimeter cabinets are white with a pewter glaze.

As far as the Blue Volga...my kids have Azure Macubus in their bathroom and I'm ready to rip it out. I only put it in 6 months ago! It show every.single.water.spot. ALL.THE.TIME. And the toothpaste drips. I regret the blue the most. I don't know if Blue Volga would show the same way.

• azmom
    10 years ago

White Python is pretty, yet personally I have reservation on any slab with clear direction of patterns and movements. I worry if the direction would fight with wood grains on cabinets or flooring or other elements in the room.

Here is an "exotic" quartzite slab Cortina I like a lot. iphone photos are not good, the slab is much prettier in person. But I hesitate because of its movements and high price. I need to go back to revisit it

{{gwi:1839540}}

{{gwi:1839541}}

• repac
    10 years ago

We have Volga Blue, and it hides water marks, dust, crumbs etc. extremely well--almost too well! I have to look at the countertops at eye level in order to see if they're dirty. The Sea Pearl and White Python are gorgeous, too. Maybe you should do two granites?

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not sure how make a color choice with two counter colors. I am afraid I will pick something that doesn't match. I am not good with color. Plus I might only need one slab of sea pearl and I have to buy the whole thing. So with two different colors, I would pay more. But I would have extra for bathrooms. Does anyone use the same stone all through their house?

Flevy, yours was the one I saw a long time ago, but I couldn't remember. How did you decide between brushed and polished? My stone is brushed on one side and polished on the other. I think the polished is perfect with your cabinets. Mine are oak stained fruitwood (medium) and I am leaning toward the brushed. I am glad to know your sea pearl withstands all the spills. I was so worried about it. Did they give you a sample?

Azmom, Cortina is gorgeous! You are right, there is a lot of movement in my stained cabinets.

Check out the movement in this granite. It looks like it is still hot and still moving. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so if I choose the Sea Pearl which is pale shades of gray how do I incorporate the blues and greens. I do not want a gray and oak kitchen, but pale gray, pale green, and pale blue might work with the oak.

I hate to just settle for something that costs so much, but I am tired of looking. I will go see the 5-6 slab places this week.

• flevy
    10 years ago

Peke---

They didn't give me a sample. It's too expensive to cut up. But I took a few items in my pocket and happened to brush them over the slab in an area that I knew would be scraped when fabricated. Them I went back the next day to check on my slab.

I wasn't given a choice of polished or brushed to it was never a question. Too bad you don't live close to me, we have a large piece left over.

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

Peke,
    Happen to still be drooling over the Sea Pearl online this weekend, when my husband noticed a website for a place near us that offered a sample. I filled out the form, expecting a reply at least asking for shipping costs. Well, today it arrived in the mail. I immediately poured wine and vinegar on it. No etching. The wine did stain the unfinished cut side as it dripped down. Right now I have lemon juice and a lemon slice sitting on it overnight. I'll let you know how it holds up.

The slab this place has is a bit darker than the one I have on hold at a different stone place for the next week. Trying to figure things out. I have a new fabricator and should get pricing tomorrow.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flevy, it just happened to brush on the slab? LOL I felt so sneaky when I took a glass tile to scratch. I am glad to hear your Sea Pearl is still perfect.

Gigi, I am excited you got a sample. Try red Kool-Aid. My husband drinks it when he is not drinking iced tea. It stains really badly on laminate. If you get Sea Pearl, what other colors are you using?

I guess I will try to find gray, blue, and green tiles tomorrow for a backslash. At least I can get samples to take when I visit my Sea Pearl.

School is out, the storms are gone, and flash floods are over so I can go slab and tile shopping tomorrow. I feel like I am moving forward again. Peke

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

Peke, no etching from the lemon at all. I have to say that this piece has a lot of green in it. For cabinets, I'm doing a white perimeter and a blue island. If I go see the slab I have on hold, I will bring my sample cabinet colors. Just waiting to hear from the fabricator before I go any further with it..

Here a pic of the sample. It not exactly reading true to color though.

Good luck shopping.

• azmom
    10 years ago

Hello Peke,

Wow, you are right, the slab is so different. It surely looks it is still moving and forming.

Yesterday my favorite stone yard said that they have more shipments coming in from Italy and Brazil in next 3 months. It sure will prolong the joy and pain of selecting the right slab.

You asked "Does anyone use the same stone all through their house? " I know they do, some use it as a sheme to tie the entire house together.

We have left over slab from one bath, I am thinking about using it in other bath, may be as trim and accent. I plan to use same slab in both kitchen and laundry room because they are next to each other. I don't have much right brain, I need a lot of help in this area.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gigi, I see green and blue in the one I have been looking at. Who knows what colors will show once it is in my house?

AZ, that is what I was thinking. We have a utility room right off the kitchen. The Sea Pearl will help me choose a floor tile for it. Then maybe I can finally choose a paint color.

• Shira S
    10 years ago

Flevy,

I'm a little disheartened to hear that about the Azule Macubas. I'm planning to put it in my master bathroom. Do you think that would be better since we are adults???

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Peke--I'm loving that Sea Pearl. I did the same granite (the volga) in my kitchen and all bathrooms. It was offered by my GC as part of the price (and I know it's expensive) and it was less decisions for me making them all the same!

If you are thinking about glass tiles for a backsplash, I have several that I could send you in blue/green colors. I was looking at glass tiles before I decided on my travertine. Send me an email if you are interested. Some of them are cracked, but at least you could see the color and decide if you are interested. I ordered one of several shades and now they are sitting in my basement.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flevy, there is hope for the azule. The kids will grow up and stop making messes. Wait them out. Keep the azule. Maybe buy blue toothpaste.

Cathy, I am not sure what I will use for the backsplash, but thank you for your offer. Let me think on it. Travertine would look nice on mine too. Oh, too many decisions.

Going to visit another group of sea pearl tomorrow at a slab site I have not visited before. They just got a bunch in. Hope they have the perfect one. Peke

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Hi! I just reserved this Sea Pearl last month. I was told to wait on a backsplash after it is installed. I loved the tile on the top as a possible backsplash. The middle samples are possible cabinet colors. The bottom tile is the floor. LOVE the sea pearl in person. So far it's all I've committed to. The cabinet selection process is a nightmare...

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joan, they look really nice. I can see all those colors in your sea pearl. I can't wait to see your cabinets and backsplash.

The previous sea pearl I had found is not big enough. I would have to buy two slabs. Today I found a polished sea pearl that is big enough so I only need one.

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Peke,

Yes, yes, and YES! You teach 5th grade, so you must be used to this. I have a 16 yr. old son, so don't worry about me:-) Back to Sea Pearl... did you buy that slab? I have two on hold. I put down 50%. Mine definitely had little bits of sea glass, as well as some like the color of your cabinets. I'm new to posting and adding pictures, but let's see what I can do...

This post was edited by JoanLast on Sat, May 25, 13 at 7:59

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Peke,

I was told the new slabs coming in would be darker. I bought these two months ago. I am struggling with which brand of cabinets to buy. I want great quality. These cabinets were just samples at the granite place to access color compatibility. I too have been researching for awhile. I bought a vacation condo 16 months ago and am renovating. It is crunch time! I go back down to FL in a few weeks and have to have everything picked out. The only things I have committed to are the things I love. So I have counter tops! LOL! I don't really care what anyone thinks about my process:-) I really do value the supportive opinions and advice of people on Gardenweb who have gone through or are going through kitchen renovations. This is the first time I could add anything constructive:-)

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Here's one more shot of the Sea Pearl. I have a lot of natural light in the condo, so I'm going to wait on a backsplash until it is installed. I'm going for a beachy vibe, since it's on the beach. I'm leaning towards a sea glass color. I did see a few hints of that color in the quartzite.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry. I hear "crap" from parents all year. All I say is "Yes, ma'am I do understand that you don't want to (or can't) help your child with homework. Yes, I understand you would rather watch TV than help your fifth grader learn his/her first, second, or third grade math facts in fifth grade so math work can be completed quicker. Yes, I understand that your child doesn't have any help with homework because you are getting high or drunk at home or making meth and you don't have time to help.

Or my very favorite excuse this year....... "I can't make him stay off his 3 video game consoles, turn the light off and go to bed so he doesn't sleep at school, do his homework because I am out partying at 2:00 in the morning and I am NOT changing my life for him.... I am an adult. I text him every night and tell him to go to bed, do his homework, put the clothes in the washer. I even text him when I AM at home and I tell him to go get my cigarettes out of my car before he goes to sleep because it is past midnight on a school night. I text him all the time. I can't make my fifth grader do anything.".

DHS soon made a home visit. Sensible parents don't always do the right things either. "MY child doesn't have time for reading or math homework. He/she has sports, swimming lessons, dance lessons, etc. every night of the week. I have to keep him/her busy so he/she doesn't get in trouble."

I put on my happy face and tell them that I understand, then apologize that their 5th grader is reading on a 2nd grade level and promise I will do my very best to bring the child's reading level up 3 years and make sure the child is on the honor roll even though the child does not turn work in. Seriously? I can only take crap for so long so I went off on the previous post.

I had a parent call me at home yesterday. School is out! She wanted to know why her child with an IQ/ability level of 70 didn't go on the Gifted and Talented field trip. Chewed me out, yelled, and said I was picking on her child. I said, "I am sorry ma'am, but she doesn't qualify to be in the Gifted program.". This is why teachers need summers off...so we will forget all this by August and jump right back in.

Boy I am on a roll! Sorry. This just let's you know how close I am to the white jacket with the long sleeves that buckle in the back. The counter could quite possibly push me over the edge! . OK back to work.....

Joan, I have not bought anything yet, but I do have two slabs on hold. It's a start! Ooooohhhh, a sixteen year old. I asked my daughter at age 16 if she could see her brain when she rolled her eyes at me. She lived through the teenage years...barely. Just yesterday her mouth was overloading her brain and good sense while smarting off to me. When she hears "little girl" in a sentence from me....that usually tells her she has just pole vaulted over the line. She is 29. I didn't talk to my parents that way and she won't do it to me. Can you tell I like the Bill Cosby parenting style? "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.".

I got off topic again....Joan, which cabinet color do you like best? With just the color from my computer, I like the bottom one. You already know I am no help at all! I can't pick a slab, but I can listen and sympathize.

Msrose, how is your waiting going? Only 2 more weeks for your tile installation? I can't wait to see your backsplash.

Gigi, did you get to the stone yard yet? Keep us informed.

Cathy, I looked at green and blue glass tiles the other day. Gorgeous! I will have to wait until my countertops are installed in the year 2015. (probably!)

Flevy, in your second picture, what is the open space in your cabinet for? I might need one too. Can I just come get your kitchen since it is already finished? You don't need it, so you?

Being a teacher means I can talk until your eyes cross. Okay, uncross your eyes and tell me how your remodel is going. It gives me incentive to get something done in my house besides filling up my cabinets and listening to my husband ask me where the kitchen items are THIS week. I have to move things.....to keep his "mad cow" in check. Boston Legal fans know mad cow is their term for Alzheimers. He doesn't have it. He just hates to look for things when he has me. .

I would sell my husband if I could get this slab! Sigh! Peke

• msrose
    10 years ago

"I asked my daughter at age 16 if she could see her brain when she rolled her eyes at me"

I almost spit my coffee out with that one! LOL.

They actually haven't given me a date on my install yet. They've never contacted me about anything. I'm the one that always checks in with them. The last time I talked to them was a little over 3 weeks ago and they said the tile had been ordered, so I'm going to contact them this week and see if it has come in yet.

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Peke, I'm still trying to figure out which cabinet company to use. We got side tracked with re-doing the deck this weekend unexpectedly. Deck was looking bad after less than 2 years of staining. Uggh! Weather is great, so decided to do it ourselves this time.

I love the floors I picked. Atlas Concord Etic Noce. I love the quartzite, Sea Pearl (committed to 2 slabs). Now I just have to find a high quality sturdy shaker style cabinet. I want an off white for the entry and main kitchen area. I want a darker cabinet for the perimeter outside. I'll have to post some pictures with a plan at the proper forum.

You sound like you have your hands FULL! I feel extremely blessed that we moved to a great community almost 3 years ago with like minded families that highly value education and educators. I know OH has its share of meth labs, but luckily not at my kids school:-) It has to be exhausting beating your head against the wall with parents like that. REST and get a gorgeous kitchen this summer!!!

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Totally OT -- if it were up to me, I'd double the salary of every public school teacher in America. And every cop, BTW. And yes, I know my taxes would go up; I'm fine with it.

The problem with kids today -- well, a lot of people -- is that they think the world is all about them because their parents didn't have the self discipline to teach them any better.

Good luck, Peke, with the countertops.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Msrose,, we really have to keep on top of people don't we? Used to be that contractors kept up with everything to keep homeowners happy so we would give them more business. Times have changed. Now we run around trying to get them to show up. Too much work out there I guess.

One time my daughter was really being a teenager.....you know how they get...they know everything. We know nothing...it's a wonder we survived at all until they were old enough to shower us with their intelligence. I can't remember what she said, but I said, "Your mama!" She started laughing and couldn't give me her wisdom anymore. Then she said "you just dissed yourself". I said, "It shut you up didn't it?" I used it the other day and she rolled her eyes. She knew what was coming next!

Joan, we got sidetracked with our pool. Frogs were living in it. Those Oklahoma storms dumped a lot of dirty water in our pool. Maybe it rained frogs too. LOL. We need to redo our deck too. What did you use? We would like to use composite boards, but our deck needs 13' boards. So either we use 12' boards and have a new way to get to ground level (quickly) or we buy 20' boards and waste 7' of each board. Your Shakers sound really pretty, especially the two colors.

I have always lived in school districts with huge parental involvement. One town had a lot of NASA and DuPont employees. Great school. When we bought our lake house, we didn't check on schools because our daughter was grown. Math is not in our lives, so we didn't know our county was #1 in Oklahoma for drugs. I worked at a little country school last year and they were the sweetest kids I have ever worked with. Like the 1960s. One girl kept on me all year to get the remodeling finished. She asked for updates every Monday. The drug problem is the parents mostly. It does not embarrass these kids when they say their mom is in rehab and dad is in prison. Sad.

MizLizzie, firemen and soldiers too. Many low ranking soldiers live on food stamps. You are right about the self-discipline. Kids do not have a work ethic today because their parents never taught the.

Ok people....back to remodeling on Tuesday. Let's keep our spirits up. Keep chanting....I can find that perfect ______________. For me, I am putting countertop in the blank. Peke

• flevy
    10 years ago

Peke-- that open space above my cabinet was an idea I copied from other GWs. It holds the paper towels. Love it! Such a brilliant idea. We have 2 of them in the kitchen. You cannot have my kitchen. I'm not sure I could live through another remodel. DH and I gutted the entire house and the we all moved into a tiny apartment. We've been together 25 years and this experience tested the limits of our relationship.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Peke... I feel your teacher pain as one myself. I am counting down 7 1/2 days. And yet, after summer break we still do get excited about a new school year. I admit, I'm so looking forward to my retirement in 3 more years. I never wanted to be anything else but a teacher (except maybe a fly girl on the show Living Color); but education has changed so very much over the last 15 years. It's become increasingly difficult to get people to be accountable. Down here in Florida, my salary will now be tied to student achievement even though most of the students I teach (VE teacher) have IQ's around 75-80. Poor kids get so stressed out. Once testing is over (maybe last 4 weeks of school), I go "old school" and have my students work on projects, book reports, cooperative group learning. It's their most enjoyable time in school. Sorry for the OT vent. As much I as become "fed up" with the system; for me, it's till all about the kids.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flevy, okay I guess I will have to finish mine. I understand about testing relationships. I could not imagine living with small children while remodeling. I know people do it. There have been times when I wanted to move DH into the RV and times when I wanted to live there myself. Our bedroom is large so all our furniture was in the bedroom.

I thought it might be for paper towels. I told my cabinet guy I wanted one and he said it won't work. The towels will get wet. (a sort of relative so I didn't want to argue with him.) I think I might put one on the island. What did you do with the space behind it? Does it hold extra rolls? Did it waste space? Did it just take up the space of a drawer?

Hey remodelfla, I am off topic most of the time. It gets my mind off the remodeling. I am so sick of grading papers or I should say regrading papers. I am sure you understand with your group of students. My students usually have to redo the work because they did not follow directions. I don't mine grading once, but it sure is tiring to regrade the same papers over and over.

It's the same in Oklahoma. We have a new evaluation system and it is the same old thing with principals who don't know how to evaluate. As long as parents don't complain about a teacher, the principal thinks the teacher is wonderful. I am a NB teacher and my kids pass the tests. The principal gives great evaluations to the teachers who have 95% of their class on the honor roll, yet those students never pass the tests. I have always pushed students to do more especially the students with learning disabilities. They take up more time in class than other students. I wish regular ed and Gifted ed parents would start standing up for their students. Those students get less and less from us every year. We try our best, but the state tests are killing us. Whose great idea was it to make the lowest students count double against us? Parents of the gifted students need to start legislating for more like the special ed parents do. Hang in there. You'll be finished soon. I know how difficult it has been for you to remodel with all the school stuff you have to do after hours. We always put students' needs before our remodeling needs.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

My neighbor just retired from teaching this past school year, and she absolutely loves it, went through much of what you all have described, and was sick of it. She is constantly called to substitute, has as much work as she wants..

This is a sad situation here, and I sure don't have any answers. How were we able to get a good education back in the 50's, but not now?

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

IMHO... I think the bulk of the problem is two-fold. A culture of entitlement that's become pervasive throughout our country coupled with the concept of conformity and uniformity in education.

Now back to our regular programming. I think the sea pearl is dreamy. We have sea glass colored frosted glass on our backsplash. I think one in a slightly bluer color would look fab with the sea glass your pictured above.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ogrose, 60s-no respect for Vietnam soldiers, 70s-watergate, no respect for presidency, journalists started writing to sell papers and for awards, 80s and 90s- Clinton's affairs, g w bush, Obama...what happened to respecting the presidency no matter who is in office? If the president of the U.S. gets no respect how do teachers get it?

Remodelfla, you are right. I believe public schools will fail within 20 years. Expensive private schools that don't have to put up with bad parents, behavior problems, learning disabled students that bring test scores down, or lazy students that bring test scores down, will thrive. The wealthy students will get educated. The United States will go back to having a low paid, uneducated, uninsured work force. Uniformity....not everyone is able to learn the content we are required to teach. Sometimes the gene pool is only a puddle. What happened to teaching the mentally retarded life skills? Why did people decide that someone with an IQ of 50 needs to read and do math on grade level? Learning life skills is more crucial. In Europe and other countries people take care of their elders and special needs children for life. They do not expect others to do it...entitlement again.

I have had my admin and supt degree for years and I think it might be time for me to stop teaching. Maybe I can make a difference in the admin side.

Ok I need a picture and name of your sea glass backsplash. (LOL I am entitled to it!). Please, may I have a picture of it? I would like to use both green and blue in my backsplash. I think you are right about the blue.

Peke

• flevy
    10 years ago

The paper towel holders take up the entire width of the 15" cabinet. The space behind it is just dead. I have to look and see if I can store extra rolls behind the roll in use. Never really thought about it...LOL.

Okay, since we're all sharing teacher stories....I teach graduate school. I want to know when the kids today stopped having to be accountable for their actions. By the time you enroll in my program, you have 17 years of school behind you. How do you not understand how the system works? I finished finals about 2 weeks ago and 3 of my students outright failed. For 2 of them it was their last course before graduation. Okay, how is it my fault that they failed. In both cases, the students decided that they didn't have to turn in their work and only answered the questions on the final that were interesting to them. Then they wanted to know if there were any extra credit opportunities. Ummm, no. Do the original work and you won't find yourself in this situation. I just don't get it. And grade inflation kills me. I don't do it and I'm a b*tch of a professor according to my students. Lovely....

• flevy
    10 years ago

Peke and Remodelfla

I live in one of the top performing school districts in the country. And I put my kids in private. Too much teaching to the test and not enough learning in public.

In Kindergarten this year, my daughter has learned to learn. She has learned to ask questions, do research in the library and the computer, do think about an answer and wonder if it's correct or if perhaps there is another solution. And then she plays 2x per day at outdoor recess and 3x in PE. Lots of art, a STEM specialist, a full music program. I just don't see this in the public schools. But those kids can regurgitate information much better than my daughter can. Private costs a small fortune but it seems to me that today's private school educations are what public school educations used to be.

• flevy
    10 years ago

Peke and Remodelfla

I live in one of the top performing school districts in the country. And I put my kids in private. Too much teaching to the test and not enough learning in public.

In Kindergarten this year, my daughter has learned to learn. She has learned to ask questions, do research in the library and the computer, do think about an answer and wonder if it's correct or if perhaps there is another solution. And then she plays 2x per day at outdoor recess and 3x in PE. Lots of art, a STEM specialist, a full music program. I just don't see this in the public schools. But those kids can regurgitate information much better than my daughter can. Private costs a small fortune but it seems to me that today's private school educations are what public school educations used to be.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Here's a close-up pic during construction:

distance:

It's from either the glasstilestore.com or glasstileoasis.com. The color was frosted seafoam green and I think it was around $15 a sq. ft.

every one of my students are either LD, on the spectrum, or low IQ kids all full time gen ed students who are expected to achieve grade level results on common core standards. The families provide the vast majority of them with very limited background experience or knowledge, minimal support, and I can't tell you how many voice how they had the same problems in school so they really don't know how to help their children.

• flevy
    10 years ago

Remodelfla your kitchen is so pretty.

• azmom
    10 years ago

You ladies really made me feel warm and fuzzy just to think about my social security would depend on these "fabulous" kids.

These kids grow up to be these employees with 1/16 brain who are handling our orders, doing our projects. No wonder we have to keep on checking on them to make sure things are moving as they should.

No amount of salary increase provided to cops, teachers, firefighters...etc. would help any kid if parents are not engaged. For years I have been saying that we need to have license to have kids as being a parent is a privilege instead of a right. Of course I have been getting earful for my militant views. LOL!

Back to the subject:

remodelfla, Your kitchen is gorgeous. How do you like your slab panel doors? Do you have a kitchen reveal posted?

All along we thought we like shaker door style, yet the minimalist slab panel look is getting more and more appealing.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flevy, I am the b*tch too. How dare you make my child learn? Usually they change their minds after they start the next grade. They realize that they learned a lot from me. One girl said to me this year that this year was the first year she has retained anything. Sept actually said in staff meeting to only teach math and reading...nothing else. I told school board press in Dec that I was leaving in may. This was my first year there since we moved south. I also told supt that I refused to only teach math and reading. So I am not a team player. My fifth graders had five tests.

Flevy,, I have been saying it for years. We are not always sending our brightest students to college. Some get grants to go and put little effort out. Why should they? They aren't paying for it.

That is a beautiful kitchen. Love the cool green tile, window light fixtures, and glass doors. What is the cabinet on the left with the mixer on it? Unusual base cabinet.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remodelfla, what goes in the unusual cabinet on the left?

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the largest Sea Pearl slab I have found. They took it to the open doorway for me to see the colors. So nice of them. I see a greenish tint, but I can't figure out what color green it is. I was hoping for a pale blue-green or sea green.

I think the problem is that I really haven't found the slab that makes me say, "that's the one.". I keep looking for a better color.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of the slab.

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

The background of mine seems to be a pale blue. They couldn't move the slab, since they didn't have anyone there on Saturday. I was so happy that it is so clean without the rust color that I sometimes have seen in Sea Pearl.

I am hoping that it all comes together nicely. Having this decision
    done is a big stress reliever (as long as I don't start second guessing).

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Azure

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rain

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gigi, I thought mine was a pale blue too. Some of the gray looks a little blue. Mine didn't have the rust either.

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Peke,

I was told to hold off ordering a backsplash until after installation of the Sea Pearl. I'm thinking the sea glass family as well. I think it will be beautiful. I am driving to FL now to make final decisions for the renovation. Stopping in TN for BBQ. Personally, I love the hints of rust. I'll have to tell the fabricator to use it. I wear a lot of orange and rust. It goes well with my Irish coloring:-) I can see myself in this kitchen looking out at the beach. Can't wait until Thanksgiving, when hopefully it's all done!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joan, I would stop for that Memphis bbq too. Eat a sandwich for me.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA