Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Pull down Faucets/Happy With Yours Over Time?

amck2
9 years ago

The majority of faucets I see in kitchens lately (magazines & online) seem to be pull down. Besides standard handles, I've only owned a pull out spray style (Moen).

Can those of you who've used a pull down daily for months or years comment on whether you'd buy another. My concern is that in time the spray head would loosen up and dangle.

Comments (23)

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I have one of each. I like the pull out better but not due to the function so much as the size of the faucet head. Mine are both Grohe and they click into place. Never had a problem with a drooping spray head.

I think you get what you pay for, though. My sil has a pull down and it's always hanging out. Not sure if it's because they don't push it back in or if it's loose. I know how frugal she is and she probably didn't pay a lot for it.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

We are still happy with our Grohe pull-down faucet (Ladylux Cafe). It was installed seven years ago.

• hellojoepark
    9 years ago

when you say, you get what you pay for, what is too cheap for Grohe? $250? $200?

• andreak100
    9 years ago

We have a Moen pull down that we've been using for about 3 years now. We actually have opted to reuse it in our remodel. We haven't had any issues with the head dangling - there's a weight that is affixed to the hose that is in the sink base and that helps to keep it where it belongs.

Some faucet brands advertise a magnet in the head that is supposed to keep the pull down tight also. I haven't seen those working firsthand, but they sound like they could work too.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Where do you find a Grohe for $200?! I think it also depends on where you buy it. My understanding is that the big box stores sell a different quality/model than a faucet supplier. But I wasn't looking at big box stores when we did our remodel.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I've had a Hansgrohe Talis C (pull-down) for over 2 years. It cost about $500 through my KD. I knew going into it that it would be pricey although there are faucets that cost a lot more.

Mine has a magnet and it retracts neatly and crisply with no droop. It's the first spray I've had of any kind and I use it virtually every time I turn on the faucet. I don't have to hold the button down once the spray is on. My only minor quibble is that to return to normal flow, you have to turn the faucet off and on again.

Having a pullout would mean another hole and something to wipe around, plus having to move your hands to another location. Over time, it adds up.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

I have nearly the same question. In the store, the pull-out faucets feel more natural to use than the pull-down ones, but all the displays are mounted high and it's hard to be sure.

I've also wondered about durability. Some years ago I was considering a riser faucet and a kitchen designer warned against it. (Riser faucets, apparently not used any more, telescoped vertically to allow fitting a tall pot under them.) But I haven't heard any adverse reports other than about certain models that weren't counterweighted or didn't latch.

And then there's the price. A faucet in the same line (I was looking at Delta Arbor) with a side spray costs less than half as much. I can understand wanting a pull-down or pull-out for esthetic reasons - more streamlined - but I'm not sure that I want to pay for it.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My only minor quibble is that to return to normal flow, you have to turn the faucet off and on again\

I have a newer Hangsgrohe Citterio - you don't have to turn the water off to return to normal flow (you can go back and forth between stream and spray while it's on).

• crl_
    9 years ago

How does having a pull out mean an extra hole? A side spray would mean that, but a pull out is just the faucet head pulls out instead of down. Or have I got the terminology mixed up?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

crl- i have only 1 hole for my delta trinsic pull down. i have only had it for a couple of weeks but i love it so far!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

SJ, that's what I'm talking about!

One other thing, and it may just be me. I wish my on/off/temp lever was in front. I can't tell you how often I have something in my right hand and I have to reach over with my left to turn the water off. However, even if my faucet could be installed with the lever in the front, the hot/cold (red/blue) would be backwards.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

How does having a pull out mean an extra hole? A side spray would mean that, but a pull out is just the faucet head pulls out instead of down. Or have I got the terminology mixed up?

No, you have it right. I think that the other message had it mixed up.

As I understand it, a pull-out faucet typically needs one or two holes, depending whether the handle is integrated with the spout. Most pull-downs require two because they are taller and the handle is usually separate. Either style can be obtained with a three-hole base.

A side spray usually requires one additional hole, but there are some three-hole bases that integrate the side spray.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Most pull-downs require two because they are taller and the handle is usually separate.

This was not my experience. My pull-down (and almost all of those we saw in our research) is single-hole.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I also have the Delta Trinsic pull down; installed about a year with no issues so far. It has a magnetic thingy so the pull-down snaps into place neatly. Has a toggle to go back and forth between stream and spray. I have a pull-out on my laundry sink and I like the pull-down better.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I love both of mine. There is a larger one at the cleanup sink. Here is the one at the prep sink on the island.

They were pricey, but absolutely worth it.

I will look it up if the make and model matters.

I have used both faucets and the pull out spray/stream many times daily for maybe three years. I do not have to turn the flow on and off to change from stream to spray and back, and have no problems with the head snapping in place. I like the largish head, which is easy to hold and direct.

I use it
    To fill the tall technivorm coffee maker on the counter near where it lives. (The long flexible hose easily allows me to fill something 12" or more high at the rim.)
    To rinse veggies in the colander that spans the prep sink.
    To take revenge on my husband at either sink when he pushes me too far.
    To fill the Sous Vide Supreme on the island. It is too large to sit in the either sink.
    To fill any large pot that I can then slide down the counter to the stove. No lifting out of the sink.
    To rinse large hand-washed pots and pans in the sink.
    To rinse the sink and grid.
    And on and on.

One of many things I would not change in my kitchen.

I just reread your post. I think you will have either a pull out or a pull down, but you are deciding which one. Since I have only had this pull down and the old side spray, I can't compare it to a pull out. But I can say I am completely satisfied.

A final thought: I would want the faucet pretty high when in attached position--Not one of those that has a low profile like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low profile pull out faucet

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

same faucet as linelle, almost same amount of time and we love it.

magnetic catch is great and never hanging down...for me it easier to pull down than pull out.... i think pulling out is awkward since you are pulling back from the sink, JMHO....

i bought mine on the web and i think it was around $350... i cant remember the site off-hand...

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I have the Delta Kate pull down and I really like it. I've had it for at least 5 years, maybe longer. There is a weight that helps with the faucet retraction. Mine doesn't droop at all. I can toggle back and forth on the faucet head between single flow and spray, which I really like. There is no pause option though, so you have to turn the water off via the handle.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Mine is a Kohler Clairette: pull down, single hole. It has a magnet that keeps the head secure when not pulled down. The sprayer stays on until I press the button to go back to normal stream. (Mine is on spray mode about 80% of the time.)

I've had mine for about 8 years. I had it in my pre-reno kitchen and liked it so much that I reused it when we renovated. Love Kohler products - we have 6 bathroom faucets, 6 bathroom and one kitchen sink, and 5 toilets all from Kohler and are happy with all so I feel secure recommending them.

• redheadk
    9 years ago

I've had the Delta Leland for at least 3 years and have had zero issues with it. I will probably buy it again for our new house. It has the magnetic docking thing and it works very well. I can leave it dangling and sometimes do if I forget but that is because I can pull it out and it will stay until I give it a little push (in a good way, not in a "doesn't work properly" way). Very useful when I'm washing lots of fruit or something and don't want to have to keep pulling the head down. There is a toggle on the back to switch from spray to stream and it stays where you put it until you switch it back. Turning the faucet off and on has no effect on that. I've been very happy with the quality and the price point. It is a single-hole faucet with the handle on the faucet at the base.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So far no one has jumped in to report that their's has a drooping problem. Generally, when someone's had an issue they are quick to chime in with a warning. Maybe this style has been around long enough to have addressed that with magnets, etc.

I'd like one that I could change from spray to stream without turning the faucet off & on, so I appreciate knowing that it's not a given on all brands/styles.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I have to say that in the 7 months that I have had it, my Price Pfister Sedgewick has been very satisfactory. I nearly bought the Delta Leland but the finish was out of stock at the time IIRC. The PP was much less too. The PP Sedgewick has all the attributes OUKatie describes, except that it will reset when turned off. Fits back into place with a solid feel. No regrets so far, I would buy it again. I thought that a pullout would actually feel more awkward to use than this pull-down.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

This Delta faucet from Lowes has great reviews. Has the "Magna Tight" feature to keep it on tightly and also the button on the faucet turns it from spray to stream very easily. Good price too and comes in Stainless or Venetian Bronze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Savile

• plllog
    9 years ago

MGS Vela-D for 4+ years. Absolutely no issues. The plumber was impressed with how well it worked when he installed. A really sudden opening or shutting of the valve can push or pull the head a quarter of an inch, but there's a long stainless inner collar so it doesn't look bad. And it doesn't happen if one is gentle with it. :) It retracts beautifully.

I love that I can just pull it down, not even all the way out of the seat, and wash down the whole of my big sink. I've had a ball joint bubbler in the past which did the same thing, and is ugly. :) The Vela-D is beautiful and feels wonderful, and does just as good a job. :)