Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Backsplash shelf?

fishymom
9 years ago

I really wanted to add a niche shelf above my range but nixed the idea because of where the studs were located. I am now thinking of adding a floating shelf. I have a 39" shelf in the same Mushroom finish as my hood that I would like to use. It would be set at 12", approximately 5" deep and would run the width of the hood. What do you think?

Inspiration photo:

My Range and hood:

Backsplash in progress. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, the UCL makes the tile look pink, but it is Bone, just a wee bit lighter than the cabinet color: The ceiling is white not blue!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

fishymom:

There appears to be no space between your range and pantry cabinet. If so, this is a very substantial fire hazard. Please check your range manufacturer's installation instructions for clearance. No, you can't just tile the pantry side.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Your cooktop/range specifications will specify the minimum distance above which something combustible may be mounted, usually about 30 inches. If the shelf material is combustible, you are creating a fire hazard and will also probably activate an exception clause in your insurance if you burn down anything.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The photo is deceiving because of the angle, there is sufficient clearance on the left per manufacturers installation instructions. The clearance for the bottom of a wall cabinet is 24" per manufacturers installation instructions. At 5" deep, the shelf will not overhang the burners at all, but I can raise it to 24" if it would pose a problem. Or I can use a marble shelf at 12".

• User
    9 years ago

What is pictured in your inspiration pic isn't a ''shelf'. It's a mini false wall that the base cabinets are mounted to, and then the ledge rear (NOT shelf) is the true wall depth. To achieve that, you would have had to bump out the lower cabinets from tbe beginning.

Fire code prohibits combustible surfaces closer than 30" above a range and 6'' to the side. You already violate that safety rule and what you want to do will violate it further still. If you want to do a shelf there, it will have to be stainless or some other non-combustible material. NOT flammable wood. And it will crowd your pots and pans and limit access to the rear burners because it will intrude over the range.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollysprings, I understand that you are trying to be helpful, but as I stated above, the photo is very deceiving because of my small kitchen and the angle at which it was taken. Thank you for your concern, but I am not in violation of fire code nor outside the manufacturers installation instructions.

I do know that the inspiration photo is not actually a shelf but a recessed area, but it was the best representation of what mine would look like based on the cabinet and shelf color, as well as the tight confines. At 5", the shelf would not overhang my cooktop at all and the back burners are all small burners, so I don't foresee a problem with crowding. My husband really doesn't like what he feels is an industrial look of the high shelves, so we will have to decide who is going to compromise on this issue. I am not opposed to a different material for the shelf, but prefer the more monochromatic look of Crema Marfil marble to stainless steel.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

When we bought this house the original owners had a glass shelf installed over the range, about 5 or 6 inches deep and almost the span of the hood, I didn't care for the look of it, seasonings near so much heat lose their flavor quickly and it was awkward reaching up and back to get or replace anything on it.

What I disliked the most about it however was the dirty greasy coating it (and anything on it) constantly acquired. When we replaced the range half a year after buying the house the gas valve installer said it was a 'weird' place to put a shelf (mainly because he had to keep ducking to avoid hitting his head on it while replacing the valve below it) and since I'd always disliked it I figured out how to remove it once the other stove was out of there and I could get a good look at the wall.

I don't know about codes and such, but I found a shelf there to be quite inconvenient.

• hyjenist
    9 years ago

Fishymom- as a fellow two toned Kitchen reno...I'd love to see your backsplash from a distance. We are ABB and paint! Looking to see how others have pulled it all together and get this over with!! L-O-V-E love your range hood! Would you mind sharing info?? Our range hood has been a bone of contention and ready to replace already.

Good luck with the shelf idea. Sorry I am of no help, muddling my way through this myself!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I don't like the shelf idea for you. It will distract from the mural.Whats that you say? You don't have a mural? What a shame.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the first hand experience ghostlyvision, much appreciated! We have decided to go with a high shelf, either stainless or Crema Marfil marble, hope that will help keep the grime to a minimum.

Hyjenist(love that!!!), the backsplash is still in progress, that is the only photo I have. Here is a link to my kitchen reveal, as well as a a shot of most of the kitchen, it is really hard to photograph because it is small.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishymom Kitchen Reveal

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH