Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teky929rr_gw

Royal Cabinets in NJ

teky929rr
9 years ago

GM Everyone,

Been researching and looking for reviews on this cabinet company in central NJ Royal Cabinets. They have 1 review on houzz. We fell in love with a wenge veneer that this company offers and they are fully custom shop. Anyone have any experience with them? Our KD provided a quote of $21k, our kitchen is 12' x 15'. "L" shaped with a 5x6 Island and two 3' pantry. All at standard height, plywood boxes, lifetime warranty. Seems to be reasonable, just wanted to see anyone else has used them. Thanks!

http://www.royalcabinet.com

Comments (6)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our cabinets are from Royal. Our kitchen was reno'd in 2007. Our KD provided the kitchen design and the installer. You can find our kitchen in the FKB (finished kitchen blog) and in the gallery section of the kitchen forum (do a search for cat_mom's finished kitchen).

What would you like to know about Royal Cabinets?

• seacillion
    9 years ago

After viewing Royals website I have been unable find the Wenge style can you provide a link ?

• teky929rr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@cat_mom

How has it held up in the past 7 years? Any issues with Royal's product? Would you use them again? Any complaints over time?

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

So, as I said, overall, quite happy with everything.

Our KD and Royal really did a great job with designing a kitchen which minimized the use of fillers (one tiny corner piece in our "L" corner, and the narrow strips on either side of our fridge cabinet--that's it), which helped maximize our storage capabilities. That was important to us, as we had given up our original plan to add onto to our house (incl. kitchen), and decided to work within the space we already had.

The cabs are well-built, and should hold up well for a good many years. Some of the drawer glides (soft close Blum glides) have needed adjusting or even minor "repairs" (eg.,replaced stripped screws, or even adding one or two that were missing, which only became apparent over time). Our doors are full height, and a bit heavy, so DH has had to adjust some of the door hinges as well in the past 7 years. He grumbles a lot when I point out the need to do so, but it's just a part of normal "wear and tear."

On a few doors, at delivery, there were some faint scratches in the veneer (under the varnish I think). One of these doors is on the pantry, one of 6 vertically grain matched doors. We opted to leave them, rather than replace all 6 doors. I sometimes think maybe I should have had the doors with these defects replaced, but then I think about all the nicks and dings our cabs have endured in the past 7 years (especially the trash cab), and realize we're probably better off that we left them--nothing stays new forever. The veneer has held up okay (Minwax stain markers are a godsend!), though some of the drawer/door edges are showing signs of wear, especially the trash cab, as I indicated above. We had specified square edges on all doors and drawers, with no edge band seams visible, and that probably contributes to this. I don't know if today's product (or other manufacturer's veneer) holds up any better or worse than ours. Sometimes, when i'm cleaning, and find new nicks and scratches, I think we are beating the heck out of our cabinets, but then I touch-up with my marker, and it's good again. If we ever had to, the doors and drawer fronts could always be replaced, or possibly re-veneered if they really start to look too beat up (a long time away from that!), but the cabinets themselves should be fine.

We have vertically grain-matched doors and drawer fronts. One thing I absolutely would have done differently would have been to specify horizontally matching the grain as well. The cabinets that make up our island, and the cabinets that make up our pantries were built as individual, grain-matched cabinets, but those cabinets don't necessarily match the other cabinets installed alongside them. One of the pantry cabs, and the message center between the two pantry cabs, "blend" nicely. The other pantry cabinet has a very different looking grain and coloration as well. The pantry cab wall as a whole should have been taken into consideration when laying out the veneer. Same goes for either side of our island. This is one place where Royal kind of dropped the ball, and we at the time, didn't "know any better" I suppose. Today, I would insist on a better "match," especially when using veneer.

We were supposed to get all Blum soft close glides. For some reason, they used KV's and possibly other glides in a few cabs (pull-outs?), and we made them replace them with Blum, as per our contract with our KD. Our bathroom cab maker also used different glides than specfied, so this might be something to watch out for.

Also, they blocked out the pull-outs in at least one section of one of the pantry cabs, rather than utilizing the full width of the cabinet. We made them remove the blocking, and provide full-width pull-outs.

None of these corrections were a problem (we went through our KD, so he handled all the go-between), nor were some other changes we ourselves requested during our install. And Royal very graciously stained and finished the cherry switchplates we had ordered online, so they were (and still are) a perfect match with our cabs.

I hope I answered your questions. If I didn't, or you have more, let me know!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

bump up for teky929rr