Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Marylanders please post your hood CFM /makeup air requirement

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 9:39

In my ongoing renovation planning noone has ever mentioned makeup air - architect and 3 bidding contractors - for a clearly specified 600 cfm hood. Today, I see in a craigslist ad for a vent hood that "Maryland requires makeup air (MUA) over 400 cfm". When queried, none of the above have ever had to deal with MUA. I live in Baltimore County.

So I was hoping to get a survey of Marylanders,. From the postings I could find, it looks like Montgomery county does enforce the MUA requirement over 400 cfm. If you did have to have MUA< what was your solution?
thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Marylanders please post your hood CFM /makeup air require

I'm in PG county, and below is a link to my MUA solution (for a 1000cfm hood). So far it's working we'll - no CO poisoning, and no fireplace ash scattered about!

Here is a link that might be useful: My makeup air solution

o

BTW, what you need to do is find out for sure if your county enforces the 2009 IRC, section M1503.4, which states that range hoods capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cfm must have makeup air.

o

Hi scrappy25, I'm in Baltimore County, too - I would call and ask: 410-887-3353 - Permits, Approvals and Inspections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore County Gov't Permits, Approvals and Inspections

o

4 am blues, that is a really clever solution , thank you! Really great if anyone wants to have high CFM. And thanks for the advice to call the county. I can't believe that you actually know the IRC section in detail like that.

purplepansies, THANK YOU for that phone number. They were so easy to speak to. The inspector said that that requirement might be buried somewhere in the residential code, but unless it was a commercial type unit they had other priorities in the residential inspection, that's why those local contractors and architect had had to deal with that issue.

Lesson learned is not to be afraid to pick up the phone to speak to the inspectors of your area. Of course it is much easier when the phone number is provided on a silver platter. I love GW!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here