Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtv20

organizing lower drawers

mtv20
13 years ago

How will I be able to organize items in my lower drawers? I have opted for all lower drawers as recommended by people on this very forum, but now I am thinking my items will get shoved around in the drawers, things like small oil bottles (YIKES!) and other items that need to be upright. How do I handle this? Or am I better off with cabinets with rollouts?

Comments (9)

• cbug
    13 years ago

I too will be changing my future cabinet order to drawers vs. roll outs and wondered some of the same things. Do you think dividers for them would help? I like being able to "verticalize" the storage into compartments and not so sure I want to "nest" or stack 5 layers of items as I always need the bottom item it seems. Will be interested to see the posts you get.

• mtv20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cbug-Where can I get dividers?

• plllog
    13 years ago

I like rollouts for pantry items. A lot of people have a narrow spice/oil pull out for all the little narrow bottles. I have a big one, where all the flavored oils and the vinegars go, as well as the spices and herbs. I keep the things I use all the time at the stove in a small upper, including saute oil, wine and a few spice blends.

The big bottles of oil, sauces, etc., go in the pantry or fridge. The pantry has ROTS (roll out tray shelves), some of which are one can high, some which are bottle height.

You can get drawer dividers at places like BB&B, the hardware store, lumber yard, organizer and kitchen stores, etc., or you can make them custom. Online, you can get anything at Amazon, plus places like Lee Valley Tools, Haefele, etc. You can also use baskets, trays, risers, and other things that you might put in a cupboard in a drawer.

Also, for things that are too stacked, like cans in a deep drawer, or lids in a pot drawer that's several inches deeper than the pots, you can have ROTS inside of drawers. The drawer front is attached to a shallow sided bottom drawer, and the ROTS are mounted behind the drawer front. You can retrofit high sided drawers by notching out the sides.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

here are some drawers put in kitchens by gw posters -

pots, pans and lids:

pots/pans with shallow inner pull outs for skillets, lids, shallow baking dishes:

deep sided drawer with inner drawer/pull out:

food items/can goods:

• westsider40
    13 years ago

I don't know how to link but if you google "lisalists2000+drawers+ths" you will see the most amazing and useful way to organize. No nesting-perfect.

It is also part of a thread, "drawers over pull outs in cabinets"-and you will see how to solve this problem. Google may be better than the gw search engine.

I have sent pics of Lisa's drawers to my cabinetmaker.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

westsider - it doesn't come up for me.

can you post the url? copy the url then post it in the message box (like posting a reply) or post it in the 'optional link url' box below the message box. if using the url box be sure to 'name' the link in the box below that - like' lisalist' or 'lisa drawers' etc. it will need a name...
    thx

• westsider40
    13 years ago

I just googled"drawers+over+pull+outs" and got---thathomesite.com/forums/load/.../msg030118382423.html----I'm self taught and do things(or not) in convoluted ways.

I email posts to myself because I don't know what a bookmark is, etc.

Or you could check my page, and email me.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Here the link with lisaslists2000's - scroll down - she has Ikea cabs and I don't know if the Ikea dividers are compatible with other drawers, but it looks to me that wood drawers would probably not work. They sure are great, though:

thread with Lisaslists2000's dividers

bob_cville made nice dividers with a Lee Valley product. Here is a link for those, but I don't know if they would work well in deeper drawers:

bob_cville's Lee Valley dividers

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

thx pudgybaby! I'm gonna just post the pics here. that thread is very good to read thru tho!