Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Organic, healthy, cleaners safe for marble & granite?

beaglesdoitbetter1
11 years ago

Hi All

We've moved in! We are having our house cleaned on Tuesday and we need to get cleaning products this weekend. I want something organic and healthy but that will be OK for our blue bahia and our marble (so many of the organic cleaning things I have come across have lemon or vinegar- obviously not for us!)

Anyone have any suggestions of products we can BUY (not make!) that would be chemical-free and safe for the finishes in our kitchen?

Thanks! (And I'll post some updated pics soon if anyone is interested now that we've moved in)

Comments (25)

• springroz
    11 years ago

I am SO happy you are moved in! Looking forward to pictures!

I use Mrs. Meyers on my granite and have for 8 years, but I don't have any here at the new house to read to see if it is ok for the marble. I will need to know that ,too, for my bathroom!

Nancy

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Alcohol-water in a spray bottle (with or without some essential lavender oil or other essential oil). I mix anywhere from 30-50% alc to water, and enough drops of lavender oil 'til it "smells right" (I go by scent and evaporation "properties" while mixing up or topping off the spray bottle, and adjust quantities as desired).

I use it on my granite, on my SS appliances, and I'll evens spritz it on the White Thassos marble and the travertine in the bathrooms for a quick cleaning. Works great; doesn't leave a haze or film, and disinfects as well.

I love it for my counters, no question about it, but it literally changed my life as far as cleaning SS appliances go, BTW. Smartest change I've ever made with regards to cleaning! :-)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I use Method daily granite/marble cleaner in my bathroom. I buy it at Whole Foods and it is supposed to be plant based, chemical free.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Beagles,

The blog Design Sponge had a nice feature today on making your own environmentally sound cleaners. Note how pretty the cleaners look in bottles like this:
    {{!gwi}}

I use cat_mom's recipe (alcohol, water and a drop of dish soap) on the marble in my bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Sponge Spring Cleaning products

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Beagles -- Sorry! I just read your post again
    and saw that you are asking for products you can buy.
    (Truly, making your own is even easier.)

I love Method daily granite cleaner/polish for the granite in my kitchen.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Caldrea

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. The alcohol is OK? It won't hurt the marble or bahia? I'm so scared to do anything that will mess up the counters!

• sas95
    11 years ago

I have been using cat mom's mixture, too. I love it, and agree it's phenomenal on stainless.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Bayes is an earth-friendly cleaner company with a granite cleaner, though I don't know if it works on marble. I haven't tried it, but I've been happy with their other products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayes Granite Cleaner

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great. I will order the Method stuff online (no Whole Foods here) and make cat mom's mixture in the meantime so we have something to use on Tuesday. Thanks!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Yes, timely question as I've been advised to not use anything acidic on my quartz as it strips shine over time. No vinagar, citrus, bleach, ammonia based items.

Does anyone know if alcohol, even if diluted in water, is corrosive to shine? I think beaglesdoitbetter is asking the same?

I've been sticking to warm soapy water, followed by clean wet wipe, followed by micro cloth but at times I wished for something that might make me at least 'feel' like I'm killing some possible germs. :-)

• senator13
    11 years ago

Target sells Method in Maryland. As does our Safeway.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

I've used the Method too (on granite - no marble here) and like it. We are in a small town and our tiny Target carries it, so I'm sure you could find it local.

I am looking forward to trying that homemade cleaner though! Thanks for the tip!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

In our area lowes and HD also sell method.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Great discussion! I'll save these for sure if I ever get my marble : )

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

francoise, I skip the dish soap. When we our counters were first installed, I mixed a few drops with water for cleaning (at the rec of our fabricator), but I didn't love it on our black granite. Left it a bit streaky/smeary. I wonder if the addition of alcohol counteracts that?

I had checked with a marble guy (marble institute type place?) re: the safety of alcohol-water on marble, and he assured me it was fine, wouldn't harm it. FWIW, all of our stone is sealed (with solvent-based, penetrating sealers). Our granite and marble are still as shiny as they've always been.

HTH!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I use the alcohol/water mix and Method granite cleaner. Both work great. Method can be purchased at Wegmans (major supermarket) if you have one in your area.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

For 5 years I used the alcohol & water mixture on my granite - when we sold the shine was perfect.

• athomesewing
    11 years ago

I like steam. No chemicals, kills germs and bateria. I use a steamer to clean countertops, ovens, even my windows. I got one for about $50 at Costco a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mine is Like This One

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Our granite guy said just use soap and water. No need for special granite cleaners.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

debrak_2008 I love wegmans! when i was in upstate NY there was one 10 minutes from me. Heaven! Now we have to drive 40 minutes to allentown to get wegmans chocolate chip ice cream (sorry- OT)

athomesewing we have a steamer too, somewhere. maybe we'll experiment with that some day too. for now, I think we will be trying the alcohol mix on tuesday when the housekeeper comes for the first time. Hopefully all will go well!

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

I graduated from GW Kitchen forum in 2002 :) I've been using the homemade alcohol/water solution on my granite for 10 years. It also works great on appliances, faucets, my glass sink in the bathroom, the porcelain and travertine floors. Pair it with a Microfiber cloth and you can't get a better cleaner and shine...one cloth for cleaning and one for drying. MF cloths are essential for shining granite. Please don't use soap. It's very hard to remove it all and it's dulling. I also use a granite polish from time to time.

• Pj
    4 years ago

Resurrecting this to see if any with polished marble have found great options. I can’t imagine using alcohol?!? That feels crazy to me. Have only been using water but tired of seeing streaks. Need something that is easy and stress free and “healthy”!

• cat_mom
    4 years ago

Rubbing alcohol is pH neutral. Mix it with water, add or don’t add essential oil (Lavender smells nice and has the added benefit of its own anti-bacterial properties). No streaks, kills germs.