Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

should we opt for the 4" granite backsplash or no?

melkel31
9 years ago

Getting ready to order our granite within the next week or so. Wanted to get opinions on if we should get the 4" backsplash or not. I really don't like the look of it ... BUT I also don't want to have issues with water etc.. thoughts?? thanks so much! I value the input I receive here! :)

Comments (16)

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

I vote no. If you are doing a backsplash there is no need for a 4" granite edge.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i vote no on the 4" back splash. will you be doing any other backsplash? I have tile.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

No 4" granite backsplash if you are doing another backsplash.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes , we are doing a tile BS - haven't chosen it yet but def putting one in.

• Evan
    9 years ago

I vote no.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

No, I wouldn't. Most on here feel that it gives a bit of a "dated" look. And especially if you are doing tile backsplash, there is no reason for it.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

We just had our counters templated yesterday and opted for a shorter, 2" backsplash. I would have preferred to take my backsplash tile down to the counter but DH wanted a 4" backsplash. In the interest of marital harmony and in the spirit of compromise we went with a 2" backsplash.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

We did a full height backsplash-- all the way to the bottom of the cabinets, and all the way up to the hood behind the range. I think it looks great, and is bulletproof from a cleaning and water protection POV. We used a highly figured granite and put the most dramatic big piece over the range.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree it looks dated and I really hate the look of it! Thanks for the input- I thought this would be the consensus but wanted to double check to b sure no one had any issues with NOT getting one first! :)

• annac54
    9 years ago

I vote no also if you're going to have tile. Be sure the fabricator knows this when they template the countertop so they cut the stone to fit close enough to the wall so the tile will cover the gap. The 4" backsplash is thicker than tile so they don't have to be as careful.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

No. It is a very dated look. Your granite company will want you to do it as they don't have to take as much time in getting the granite close to the wall. It is to their benefit to have you agree to a 4" backsplash.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I'm doing a 2 inch high backsplash over a part of the wall where there are no upper cabinets and I hadn't planned on any other backsplash there - will have to see how the wall behind 2 inch section (about 50 inches) holds up.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Regardless, I would tell the templaters that you want a minimum gap at the wall, just in case you change your mind later about the granite splash. And get it in writing.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone!

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

We have a 2" granite backsplash with tile above that. We love it!!

• miruca
    9 years ago

We did 2" granite - with no other backsplash. We love the clean sleek look of it; and love no visually conflicting shapes or materials on the wall. I think the full wall backsplash in a different material than the countertop that started several years ago is starting to look dated.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012