Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eylcm

subway tiles

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Lowe's American Olean subway tiles and the HD Daltile subway tiles? Any recommendations? Thanks so much!

Comments (22)

• Laurie
    15 years ago

My husband is going to do the backsplash himself (white subway). We have had problems with American Olean tiles from Lowes. 90% of them are fine, but the ones that are supposed to have a bullnose & gloss on one short (3") side have the gloss ALSO on the other short flat side on the opposite side of the tile (the side that will have grout). It's hard to explain.
    Grout won't stick to a glossy surface. We've shown the manager in flooring at Lowe's and he agrees with us. We've reordered twice with the same result. AO has not responded to our email. According to Lowe's , AO says we can sand that edge, but we are considering sending it all back and trying Daltile. We won't be ready for backsplash until a month from now, so we have time. Thanks for bringing this subject up on GW. I will be keeping a close eye on what others suggest and reccommend.

• kec01
    15 years ago

From the Daltile Corp. website...I'd image there shouldn't be a difference.

"Dal-Tile Corporation, a subsidiary of Mohawk Industries, manufactures, distributes and markets high-quality ceramic tile and natural stone products. Dal-Tile is the largest ceramic tile manufacturer in the U.S. and one of the largest tile manufacturers in the world employing over 10,000 associates. We currently operate eight manufacturing facilities (seven in the U.S. and one in Mexico), five Regional Distribution Centers, and over 250 Sales Service Centers (SSCs) throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. Dal-Tile products are sold through company owned SSCs, home centers (i.e. Home Depot and LoweÂs) and through independent distributors.
    Dal-Tile owns three of the most widely recognized product brands in the ceramic tile industry; Daltile, American Olean and Mohawk Tile. Each brand offers a comprehensive line of fashionable, high-quality tile products in a range of colors, textures and finishes.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I used the subways from HD with no complaints. I just wanted to mention that they only have them with the bullnose on the long side. I searched everywhere for ones with it on the short side and only found them online. If you found them at lowes (I didn't) then stick with them.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I used AO Greenwich white subways from Lowe's for my bath. Very pleased, although there are slight variations in quality from tile to tile; they're not perfectly flat like rectified tile. Not really a problem, but I did notice that it made my job slightly harder as a first-time DIY tiler.

The American Olean white color available through tile stores (Ice White or the matte Designer White) is a slightly different white than the white they make for Lowes (Gloss White), so that's just something to keep in mind if you have to special order any pieces.

• PRO
    Jefferson Street Designs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What difference does the location of the bullnose make in the overall look? Does anyone have any pictures? I bought the tiles from HD yesterday, but now I'm rethinking that decision. Also, they didn't have the ones from Daltile there. It was another company--can't remember the name, though. Thanks again!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

In the overall look nothing, but unless your tile ends against trim (doors/windows) then you'll also need a bullnose edge on the short side. Or you'll have to put the ones with the bullnose on the long side vertically (like in a bathroom). I had my tiler cut mine in half to keep the grout line going.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Home Depot carries a brand called United States Tile Company (I think) that seems comparable to the Olean/Daltile versions. In fact I thought it seemed even a bit flatter (if a bit thinner) than the American Olean I wound up getting since it was on sale.

You can also come up with other ways to end a run than using bullnoses -- I went with a wooden trim rail in my DIY bathroom. This is the American Olean greenwich in gloss white with Spectralock epoxy grout in Silver Shadow (still under construction):

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Online, I notice Daltile offers a matte or a semi gloss finish.
    Several kitchens on the Finsished Kitchens Blog used Daltile's Rittenhouse subway tiles for their backsplash...for example : beths96, bunglogrl, deanna1949, & micklessor. The first two I mentioned used "Arctic White". beths96 used a matte finish. I would love to see a close up picture of a matte white subway tile backsplash.
    If you scroll to the bottom of the link below, you can view the different variations available from Daltile's Rittenhouse tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile Rittenhouse

• PRO
    Jefferson Street Designs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up using the tile from HD--American Tile Company. They were very inexpensive, and so far have worked out great. I still need to add the grout, however. I wanted a gray lighter than Delorean Gray. I like the look of the platinum grou, but I don't know where to find it. Will I have to go to a specialty tile store?

• teddychicago
    15 years ago

clueless,
    I am loving your kitchen! Can you give me some details on cabinets, counters, wall paint and the pendants? I am just in the planning stages but I do know I want white cabinets and subway tiles, thanks to this forum! Thank you!

• PRO
    Jefferson Street Designs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! The cabinets are maple Merillat Masterpiece. The style is Martel and the color is dove white. The paint is BM Gray Wisp, and the pendants are from Hinkley. The countertops are soapstone, but they still need to be honed and oiled. We still have quite a few finishing touches left, but we're getting there. Good luck!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

cluelessinva- your kitchen looks great!!! Glad to hear the HD tiles worked out. I know Lowes sells different grout color choices (may need to be special ordered). Maybe they have the shade of gray you're looking for.

• jeffrow
    15 years ago

This is the Daltile from Home Depot... only problem I had was a subtle color shift between the field tile and the bullnose

• Laurie
    15 years ago

jeffrow- This is the first time I've seen stainless steel (?) subway tile inserts...I like that look! Today we ordered the Daltile Rittenhouse "special tiles" (ones we need with bullnose variations). The regular field tiles are sold in the store and we'll pick those up when our order comes in. I noticed on the store's field tile box it stated the color as 0100 white/semi gloss. We placed the order using the same color code, so hopefully the color will be close. On your photo, I wouldn't have noticed any variation if you hadn't mentioned it. You mean at the far right on the end...just a bit lighter/brighter white? Sometimes the reflection from lights in the room can have affect on colors, too. Your overall kitchen look is clean and appealing : )

• jeffrow
    15 years ago

Yup.... The bullnose were a bit "whiter". It really doesn't bother us that much, just thought I'd mention it. The stainless tiles are 1/8" thick stainless steel cut into tile sized pieces.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

jeffrow- Along with the gorgeous backsplash... nice glass in the cabinets, beautiful wood counter & cutting board, too! I looked for your kitchen on the Finished Kitchens Blog and I don't see it. Are you planning on posting it? You really should.

• jeffrow
    15 years ago

Thanks, I posted some pics & stuff under this link awhile back.

Here is a link that might be useful: 95% done kitchen

• positano
    15 years ago

I really like your floors, are they porcelain? I see that they are AO Green Plaza. How long ago did you get them? Are they easy to keep clean? I tried googling, but couldn't find them. Is there a series name?

• positano
    15 years ago

bump

• jeffrow
    15 years ago

positano,

Here is some info from the box label
    CP-45 Plaza Green.....assume thats the color
    Capitol Hill...... Series?
    Item# 240846 ..... prob. Lowes item #

I've had them down for a few months, the do show alot of dust more than anything. They are ceramic and flat which we wanted, we laid them with a tight 3/16" grout line. They are kind've a dark green marble effect up close which works for the modern/contemporary we are trying to get with the rest of the house.

• positano
    15 years ago

thanks so much....I'll look into it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!