Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkgarn00

Different ceiling heights along cabinet wall

lkgarn00
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am hoping for suggestions on how to deal with different ceiling heights in our new kitchen. Our old kitchen had a ceiling height of 8 feet and our remodel/expansion will have 9 foot ceilings.

One wall of cabinets will be both 8 foot and 9 foot and I am having difficulty with the transition.

We will be using ikea cabinets and I have a screen shot of the room but with their software, I am unable to show the different ceiling heights.

The first picture shows the original room with the new addition and the ceiling height transition will be where the wall cabinets start and extend to the right. The oven/microwave cabinet and to the left will all be 8 feet high.

I want all of the cabinets to look built in - so what I am planning on is to using crown molding to bring up to the ceiling. With the 9 foot section, I am torn between stacking cabinets above the wall cabinets shown - or adding a trim panel and crown molding.

I am having difficulty uploading additional pictures at the moment.

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

Comments (2)

• lkgarn00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a second picture that shows the wall of cabinets. Again, to the right of the microwave/oven unit will be 9 feet and to the left will all be 8 feet.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Can you just put a special cabinet up high on the 9' ceiling? Maybe glass cabinets. Maybe a shelf to display some antique dishes. The 8' and the 9' ceilings could go all the way up.

Mine are different heights due to a sloped ceiling on an outside wall. They are 5" higher in the front than in the back. That let me put antique dishes up there since they will be set close to the glass doors.