Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjwright1_gw

plug mold - can you see it while seated?

bjwright1
13 years ago

I really want plugmold installed in our kitchen reno. but my husband thinks it will be visible while seated at the table. I know it is not visible from standing, but can you see it while seated?

Comments (16)

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Probably. It depends on how big is your light rail but I don't think you can really ever hide it completely. I would rather see the plugmold a few times when I'm seated at the table (and looking at the plugmold and not everything else that is beautiful in my kitchen) then see outlets that cause a "break" in my backsplash every time I walk into the kitchen).

I actually had to use the NEC compliant plugmold which is larger than regular plugmold (town building code). I did not count on this when ordering my light rail. At 5'3" and barefoot I can just see a bit of my plugmold that is the same color as my backsplash when I walk into the kitchen. I thought this would just bug the heck out of me. It doesn't. I'm always looking at something else - cabinets, counters, chandeliers, windows. The only people who see it all the time are kids - and this stuff doesn't register in their brain - they're thinking - "what's there to eat" or "how long to dinner".

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

What exactly is plug mold anyway? Can someone post a pic for me?

• penelopejosephine
    13 years ago

We didn't do plugmold, but did put outlets behind the undercab lights so they are (somewhat) out of sight. Our electricians offered this as an alternative to plugmold. It was less expensive and I felt I'd have ample outlets without plugmold. Anyhow, I snapped a couple of photos so you can see the visibility. I figured it would be about the same as plugmold.

This is standing at normal height looking at cabinets.

This is standing in front of cabinet and squatting down to see underneath.

This was taken from the dining room (next room over since we only have island seating in the kitchen). I zoomed in really tight with the camera, but feel is not very noticeable from a seated position in reality.

I love that the backsplash is uninterrupted by outlets. For us, the option of "hiding" the outlets worked well. They boxes are angled and easy to plug into. I hope this helps!
    PJ

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

PJ, thanks for the photos. I'm also at the stage of stressing over this, and I think I'll ask my GC about putting outlets behind the undercabinet lights.

What a stunning backsplash, by the way! Is that a ming green mosaic?

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

This is just to show the requested picture of what it looks like.

I confess I call it Ughmold, but that's because of the way it was put into my kitchen to comply with code. The electricians didn't know of any other way since my windows are wide and low to the counter. I had it taken out when I learned about Sillites. Under cabinet is not as big an issue, but it can be visible. I know there are some photos from a couple of years back; I don't have them bookmarked but found them with a search.

This is actually better than it was at first. It can be installed this way or with a box for the wires; they put it in with the box at first (about 3 1/2" deep) under my 1 1/4" overhang on the island. They're probably glad to be finished with their work here!

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I confess I call it Ughmold, but that's because of the way it was put into my kitchen to comply with code. The electricians didn't know of any other way since my windows are wide and low to the counter."

UNless those two windows together are more than 48 inches wide they could have simply put a receptacle immediately to each side.

The rule is that no place on the counter can be more than 24 inches from a receptacle, measured parallel to the wall at the back of the counter.

That give a 48 inch spacing.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Not in my kitchen, but if you bend forward you can see the junction box for the u/c lighting. My contractor wanted it up flat against the bottom of the cabinets so it wouldn't interfere with the backsplash and all. I don't plug a lot of stuff in and it's really easy to use, so it works well for me. The bigger issue is the GFI circuits are very sensitive and trip regularly. :)

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Thanks, brickeye. Yep, the windows take up a total of 8' across, with more than 2' on either side of the sink. All is well now, though. I just wanted to show a picture of the plugmold for kmsparty.

• penelopejosephine
    13 years ago

@eastbaymom: thanks for the compliment. The tile on the backsplash is 5/8" Bianco Carrara from United Tile (their own product they stock). It came in darker than my sample and caused a bit of anxiety, but I've come to accept (and love) it.

Jsweenc....I'm glad you got your plugmold taken care of! I love your lighthearted approach! ;)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Mine is behind my under cabinet lighting, so I can't see it. But, I can see the lights while seated and would likely see the plug mold if the lights weren't there. Are you doing lights?

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Our cabinet maker made sure there was an extra piece added onto our cabinets to hide the plugmold and the undercabinet lights:

Before he put that last piece on, I kind of freaked out because I could see the outlets. I hated the look, and the electrician wondered why it was so visible. My GC is a really tall guy, and he said, "I don't see it!" I said, "Well, I do, and I'm 5'5", and Don's 5'10", and it's got to be covered up!"

But then the cabinet guy called to tell us he was attaching the bottom "lip" the next day...whew!

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

thanks for the pic jsweenc. My window is 72 inches wide so does that mean they will have to put a plug under it like they did yours? Does that code vary by state? What are Sillites? Are those the ones I seen on the website with the candles? Do you have a pic of how that looks now with the Sillites?

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

consider this a bump for bjwright1 (not a hijack!) : )

kms, see the link below for Sillite pictures (yes, it's the one that is made for the candles) and an explanation of the NEC (national, not just local) standard. I think you have to have outlets within 2' of the outer edge of the sink in each direction, so it would depend on how big your sink is rather than the window width in isolation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sillites

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I don't see our angled Plug/wire mold when standing or when seated at our peninsula but I do see it if I look into the kitchen while seated at the DR table in the other room...but you really have to be looking for it b/c it's not something that jumps out at you when looking into the kitchen from the DR. I do not see it when standing in the DR or from the FR (which is even farther away). (From the FR, you can see it while seated if you search for it...it's too far away to be noticeable.)

Our Plug/wire mold is actually installed lower than most...it's installed below the upper cabinets...below the extra inch or so the walls/front/back that are longer than the inside of the cabinet boxes. However, we do have 1" light rail installed under the cabinets, so it hides the Plug/wire mold from view when in the kitchen or sitting at the peninsula. (If I had it to do over, I would probably ask our electrician to install it directly under the bottom of the cabinet box, but it's not that big a deal. It would have meant 4 or 6 Plug/wire mold pieces instead of 2, so it might have cost a lot more, so maybe that's why our electrician installed it the way he did.)

Plugmold - view from kitchen while standing

Plugmold - view from peninsula while seated

Plugmold - view from DR while seated

BTW...here's a thread from 2008 asking about Plug/wire mold. I thought I'd link it here for two reasons (1) more information for those who are just learning about it and (2) linochka28 asked a question on it but since it's so old it did not reappear in the list of threads...so maybe s/he will see that I responded to him/her (and others can respond as well, if they have something to add)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Plugmold, Wiremold, etc.

• eks6426
    13 years ago

Plllog--How does the wiring work for your plugmold that is mounted on the bottom of the cabinet? Does the wiring come into the cabinet from the wall, then turn and go through the bottom of the cabinet to the plugmold? I am doing plugmold this weekend. We wanted the angled stuff, but can't find it, so now we're mounting it on the bottom of the cabinet facing the countertop. But the wiring is in the wall below the cabinets. We can move the wiring up behind the cabinets then down into the plugmold, but I'm not loving the option of having a wiring turn inside my cabinet. Love to hear how you did it. Thanks.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I believe others have made their own angled plug mold with a triangular piece of wood in the back and mount the plug mold to it. I think if the outlets were facing down it's bit harder to plug in.