Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone remove a granite top from cabinet w/o damage

Posted by riverhouse_designs (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 9:20

Is there a way to remove a granite countertop from cabinet without damaging cabinet? If possible, will someone explain how to do it? The story which has not become a saga yet. Hopefully, it won't. Kitchen is 99% finished
(the backsplash not done), so this winter my husband remodeled a bathroom. We ordered a vanity that was complete with granite top over internet from Costco. When it was delivered the backsplash was crumbled. Costco is working on rectifying the problem. Returning the vanity to the store is not an option for us; it is way too heavy. Costco suggested sending another top, but no solution has been finalized yet. Everyone was so helpful when we were working out the details of the kitchen that I know that I can rely on your advice. Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone remove a granite top from cabinet w/o damage

Depends on how the granite was attached in the first place. I know in DIY applications, there is a plywood layer that the slab rests on. You should be able to cut thru the granite into the plywood and chip the pieces out. Just set your circular saw to the thickness of the granite + a little [use the correct blade, wear ppe]. Then replace the plywood with a fresh layer. [this is how subfloors are removed]. Also, consider how much damage would occur with crowbarring the slab off? Maybe 1"? Perhaps damage is okay and some nicely finished trim is the answer?

However, it would probably be a better investment of your time to convince Costco to either (a) just send a new one [and forego the return] or (b) pay for return freight on the damaged unit. I can't imagine that the base is worth anything [to costco] as a return.

o

Another suggestion: Costco cares big time about customer service and satisfaction. So, if this cabinet was drop-shipped from a manufacturer, make sure you are talking to a Costco employee about the problem, not just the partner company. I can't imagine Costco saying "we'll send you a new counter top and you can fix it yourself."

o

When our kitchen was demo'd the granite was removed, whole, with no damage to it or the cabinets. The cabinets were frameless, medium or high density particle board with no plywood under the granite. I doubt your Costco vanity has an underlay so hopefully the granite will come off as easily as ours did.

o

I wouldn't mess with this yourself. As others have said, Costco should make this right - they should send you an entire new unit and arrange for the return or the disposal of your damaged unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here