Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_k_gw

A kitchen was born...

Julia_K
11 years ago

I am not a regular poster, but I've been reading this forum a lot for a few months while doing my kitchen renovation. I had a few posts with questions and everyone has been very helpful. So, thank you! My kitchen is finally done and I've been using it for the last month. There are many things that I wanted, but I couldn't get due to various reasons. The size of the kitchen did not allow for double wall ovens and for a prep sink. I also wanted long wall pantry, but we ran into a problem and couldn't get it. My biggest worry was the floor. We could not change the floor because it runs all the way through the hall and into the entrance, so the job of changing it would be too expensive. So, I was worried about white original tiles clashing with white kitchen cabinets, but I think everything worked out fine.

Here's the old kitchen:

Photo from mls listing

Before we moved in

Demolition

{{gwi:1838618}}

New kitchen

I upholstered the chairs since I couldn't find counter stools with green seat. I also spent a month prepping the butcher block. Sanding, oiling, polishing, waxing. It's ready to be used for cutting, but I haven't done it yet because it looks so pretty.

It took us a long time to decide on the stove, but in the end we chose Wolf

I really wanted a green KitchenAid mixer, but I couldn't justify buying a new one when the one I have works perfectly, so I added some stickers to it. Everyone seems to like it :)

I adore my apron sink!!!! I think it's my favourite part of the kitchen

I wanted to have tall pantry on this wall, but the design did not work

Toe kick drawers

and one more toe kick drawer

A few details:

Pantry near the fridge

Lazy susan in one corner

Spice shelf

And we also put a little desk area on the opposite side of the kitchen where a dining table used to be

Comments (50)

• owataqt
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Loos awesome- congrats...what a redo that was..
    Enjoy and thank you so much for sharing. You did some awesome clever ideas..love it

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the lime and white! Your backsplash is perfect and pulls it all together.

• dseng
    11 years ago

It looks great! I really like the toekick drawers - our kitchen is going to be tight on space and several of those could help solve some storage issues. I don't blame you for not cutting on that butcher block top - it's gorgeous.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

That looks really great, so bright and cheery. I am a sucker for lime green and white.

Congrats on such a fabulous reno.

Bee

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I LOVE it! What a huge impact from the existing kitchen. Lemme guess - Adel off white, Lansa handles? I'm thinking of doing the same in my kitchen. Is your pantry a 15"? It looks like it holds a ton! Is that Ikea's lazy susan hardware? I don't see a center post like I had in my last Ikea kitchen, that would be a great thing! How did you do the toe kick drawers? What is that light fixture over near your desk area?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really beautiful! Clean, bright and cheery.
    If you hadn't told me the floor was a pre-reno, I would not have even looked at it to see how well it went.

Kind of like gutters on your house: they're fantastic when you never notice them! :)

I love your butcher block, having made my own. Haven't done any finishing yet because I have a wood filler problem, I think. Another thread.

I also like your pantry, because mine is full of many of the same grains -- and a lot more I think you'd love!

Enjoy. You've done a beautiful job.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Love it. Clean,cool and refreshing! You did a great job with the space you had. How creative to think of dressing up your mixer with coordinating stickers. Wishing you the bet in your new kitchen.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful, fun Kitchen! So bright and happy. You did a great job.
    Hey! I am living with those old formica/wood trimmed cabinets rights now. Mine are Woodmode and have all the bells and whistles, but I am so looking forward to having new cabinets!

• Julia_K
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone :)

@thirdkitchenremodel - Yes, Adel off white, but the handles are not Ikea. Ikea only had 2 sizes where we wanted different sizes for different drawers, so I found another hardware place and saved a ton of money. I have three different sizes and a few knobs in that style. I purchased around 55 handles and knobs all together and it cost me 70 bucks including taxes, so I'm extremely happy with that.

We upgraded all the hinges to a different Blum hardware not available at Ikea. We also got a different lazy suzan as you noticed as it holds a lot more weight and does not have a handle in the centre, therefore allowing for more storage.

Everything was done by a great contractor including the toe kick drawers. He was very excited about that project, it was his first time making them. He used Ikea parts.

Lamp is from Bouclair Home (I'm not sure if that store is available in the States)

@CEFreeman - thank you for the kind words about the floor. It was a very sore spot for us. We really wanted to change them and I still sometimes wish we did it, but I do agree that they don't look too bad.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

What a fun and cheerful kitchen!!!! Love the green backsplash! You designed wisely with the space available The storage is nicely designed and I think you should send a pic of that whimsical KA mixer to KA -- you may have something there! :) Enjoy for many years to come!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Love the green and butcher block! So well done. Enjoy!

• Micheline Smith
    11 years ago

So nice and fresh looking- lovely job! There are so few kitchen from Canada though you must share all of your resources with a fellow countryman. We are just finalizing our list for an Ikea kitchen, so any lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

• springroz
    11 years ago

What a wonderful renovation! The green and white look like springtime! I would not have noticed the floor either!

I really like the way the island turned out, too.

Nancy

• barbaranh
    11 years ago

Wonderful job! What a difference -- from drab, empty, impersonal to bright, happy, functional, and beautiful. That's a renovation. Love the cabinets surrounding the fridge, love the glass door and open shelving, love the bright colors -- really a great job.

Have a great time in it.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

What a transformation. Clean, bright, whimsical. Your artistic, fun nature shines through. And clever use of small spaces! That butcher block is gorgeous!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!! I love the COLOR! Really, really great, and functional, too. Someday I too will have toe-kick drawers. I hope! And the wood top on the island! Drool inducing!

I really love it. I love color drenched rooms, and the green is spectacular. I am not a fan of "a pop of color" amidst a sea of beige, so this really speaks to me. And the mixer stickers are great!

What kind of fridge, and how do you like it? It is hard to find fridges without through the door ice/water in my area.

• JTRenov
    11 years ago

Love the toekick drawers. Totally going to write it down to do in my kitchen renov

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

It is really fresh and inviting! It also looks like it will cook like a dream. Great job.

• Laberglund
    11 years ago

I'd love to know the dimensions of your kitchen. You're layout is VERY similar to what my KD is proposing!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Clean, bright, fun, and mouth-watering! -Makes me want a margarita or limeade. ;-) This has much more personality (and firepower) than the original!

• Julia_K
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your wonderful words :)

@farfromhome - not too many canadian sources to list.

Kitchen - Custom Ikea. Our contractor cut a few sections/drawers etc to fit our dimensions.
    Handles - Canmade.ca (great pries)
    Contractor - TS Kithens (great guy, his name is Trayan)
    Counter - Marble Treasure inc (Dufferine and Major acKenzie). Amazing people!!!
    Backsplash - Rivalda
    Appliances - Tasco

@mabeldingeldine - It's a KitchenAid fridge. It looks great, but we are still not too sure about it (well, can't give it back :) ). I guess we need to organize it a bit better, we can't figure out optimal places for food. There's a water and ice dispenser, but it's inside the fridge.

@Laberglund - approximate dimensions are 11feet by 20 feet (including the desk area)

• Julia_K
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sink - Galaxy Tool Supply (from their ebay store)
    Faucet - Moen (Costco)

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Hail, fellow Ikean! Your kitchen is beautiful, love the color, the butcherblock (I'd probably use a cutting board to save it), everything. That lazy susan sure is a step up from Ikea's, but I love hearing about how different folks economize in one area to afford the splurges in others.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Very nicely done. And I applaud your creative use of stickers! You can dress that mixer up for the holidays too:). I like you ceiling fixture over by the desk area. The whole kitchen is great. And like Rhome410 said "this has much more personality..."

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a great looking kitchen! Good to see how much can be achieved with the Ikea system plus personal upgrades.

• twoscoops
    11 years ago

Your kitchen redo is inspiring! The layout is a big improvement and the green and white color scheme reads crisp and clean. The very first word that popped into my head when I saw your kitchen was FUN, esp. love the stickers on your mixer! Nicely done!

• Jody
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is like a *breath of fresh air* .... sooo nice and colorful. I can only imagine how refreshing it is to cook in it.

You've done a wonderful job and I wish I was as brave to use a major color way when I did my kitchen (I would have had orange/red tiles, IF I was brave enough).

Enjoy!!!

jody

• nini804
    11 years ago

What a lovely, clean, fresh looking kitchen! I love your island top...perfect amount of warmth. Your backsplash is so pretty and colorful! I know you must be enjoying it so much!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Adorable, fun, spot-on were the first words that popped into my head when I saw your pics, and I'm sticking to 'em!

Enjoy your bright and cheery new kitchen!!

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

I agree with the other posters that your kitchen is bright and beautiful. I have the same color KA in the attic waiting for the finishing, ahem... starting even... of my kitchen and I was worried that it might be too bland. I am just loving the sticker idea. You should seriously send it to KA or one of the kitchen shelter mags. Super great idea and super great kitchen!!!

• sserra85
    11 years ago

What a cheerful space! I'm in the middle of an Ikea kitchen and I'll be happy if mine turns out half pretty! Do you mind sharing your source for the lazy susan? The Ikea one does seem a bit cheap in comparison to all their other solid interior fittings.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Julia,

Such a pretty and fun kitchen with tons of counter space and storage. If it cooks as wells as it looks (and I imagine it does), you must be in there all day long.

You mentioned your contractor made some alterations to sections and drawers; could you describe the changes he made and what parts he altered?

I am planning to use IKEA carcases as the basis of a non-standard, DIY, kitchen and I'm always trying to learn what other people have done from the basic starting point. And you changed up the hinges to a better grade of Blum, are you happy with that? Did you o it for overall quality or just to get a wider swing, or what?

One of my notions is to take regular IKEA cabs and deepen them to about 30" (cut and screw extra cabs together) so I'll have to uprade from the IKEA-standard grade sliders both for length and weight support. But I'm also interested in any successful changes to the standard IKEA drawer assemblies as I will have a few cabs of regular depth and may use their drawer bodies, providing I can nudge them a bit size-wise. Did your contractor do anything like that?

I really enjoyed seeing the pics of your new kitchen. I think the white floor looks very, very nice, so don't fret about not having changed it out. I gather you live in Canada, so having such a bright and cheery kitchen will brighten dark winter days. Love the stickers on the KA!

L.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. Love the backsplash. The butcher block is beautiful. I'd be afraid to cut anything on it.
    Love the decals on the mixer too...great idea!
    Enjoy.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Lovely, bright and cheery! The butcher block is to die for. I love the toe kick drawers. You learn something every day on garden web.Where did you get that awesome lazy susan. I love that it doesn't need a pole.

• dee850
    11 years ago

How fantastic! I especially love the green mosaic backsplash, and I'm not even usually a fan of that style.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Julia - love your new kitchen! It is bright and cheerful and so much better than your old kitchen!!

Now what did everyone do with the old cabinets? I had the same ones and so did a few others! Mine went to a family who needed a kitchen but didn't have $$. Our GC helps families in need.

Check out the spice stack for your spices - I think it would work great! Love mine!!

• jgopp
    11 years ago

Looks fantastic, great remodel. Enjoy it.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Really nice and 'Mod' is the word that comes to mind. 60's era Nancy Sinatra or Twiggy would not look out of place in that kitchen.

Love the toe kicks!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Love the brightness and it looks like a HAPPY space! Love the toe-kick drawers!

• BalTra
    11 years ago

This is getting clipped to my favorites. Well done! Happy, functional, thoughtful.
    I'm using IKEA too.
    You did well with the flooring. It blends into the new space easily. not bad for the biggest compromise you needed to make.

ENJOY!

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Love, love, love what you did to your kitchen! It is so cheerful and bright and welcoming! And the increase in function--GREAT! I noticed your sink is above the countertop, wondering why you decided elevate it slightly. Also, what is your perimeter countertop--granite, quartz? Love it and your butcherblock.

Love the way you dressed up your mixer! Etsy has several vendors that sell decals for KA mixers. There's also a blog that sells them (link below). I've thought about ordering but am waiting until we reno--maybe next year (fingers crossed for luck).

Enjoy cooking in your new kitchen and thanks so much for sharing!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Your kitchen color palette makes me so happy!!! Your space looks both sleek and cheery. I've never seen anything quite like it and it's beautiful!

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

This definitely goes in my "favorite file". What a happy kitchen, full of personality, and definitely not another cookie-cutter white kitchen. Great job!!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

You did a great job transforming your kitchen into a much more functional and appealing space!

Love the green! And, your toekick drawers, what a great use of space.

Congrats! It looks so inviting and yet clean and crisp!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Very cheerful kitchen - the Ikea cabinets look great. I'm interested in hearing about your contractor's hacks to them as well.

liriodendron said:
    One of my notions is to take regular IKEA cabs and deepen them to about 30" (cut and screw extra cabs together)

I'm planning on cutting down some 24" cabs to 18". Want an extra 6 inches? :)

• abfabamy
    11 years ago

I love the pop of green you have! Your kitchen looks very fun and inviting. The toe kick drawers are awesome! Enjoy!!

• Painted_Nest
    11 years ago

3 cheers for all the LOVELY pops of color...They say volumes about your personality~What fun! Looks great!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, that is SOOO much fun! I love it! It is so happy and fresh! I LOVE your backsplash--it is perfect! The stickers on your mixer are such a fabulous touch!

Of course, as someone with IKEA cabs, I love IKEA and think the Adel cabs are perfect for the whole vibe you have going on in your kitchen. Love it all!

Floor? What floor? ;^p

• grumpydave
    11 years ago

That. is. so. cool.

I love the cheery green. And your old tile looks right at home.

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Great job! I love your kitchen. So fun, bright and cheery :) We used Ikea Adel White too and love them.