Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psbjmb

Update with countertop pictures

psbjmb
9 years ago

Updating my journey with countertop pictures.

Here's where I started:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031604253400.html

My soapstone was installed yesterday, with just a minor hiccup. I am supposed to have drain runnels and they aren't there yet. I spoke with the fabricator and he said he would be sending his guy that (in his words) 'is an artist for that kind of thing' - it just won't be this week. I would have preferred to know in advance that I would have to take 2 days off work for the counters, but I'm going to consider that a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

Overall I am very happy! When the guy came to take measurements, we discussed seams. I told him that I thought having one on either side of the back of the sink would be the least visible (so the sink run is 2 bigger rectangles, and one smaller one behind the sink). The seams showed up more in my crummy pictures than they do in real life. I think they did a pretty nice job of making the design flow across the counter.

I didn't measure overhangs or anything - but everything looks and feels good to me. If y'all see anything really wonky that I should know about, I'm not sure if I want you to tell me, lol. Seriously - if you do see a problem, please speak up so I can get it fixed.

This has been a relatively modest kitchen redo ($11,000 for cabinets, appliances, sink, counters, and minor repair work). It already feels like a brand new kitchen, and I'm not that close to finished.

Here are some pictures. They offered to oil them for me, but I declined. The stone is so pretty like this, I want to enjoy it 'raw' for a while :-) It has a beautiful deep green color, especially in the veins .. I look forward to trying some tiles with it for the backsplash. I have a bunch of samples on order from fireclaytile.com.

Arrival:

First piece installed. I do have the drawer front, it obviously isn't installed yet :-)

My 'T' for Texas counter, lol.

Sink and corner:

Long view of sink counter:

Another view of the corner:

Left seam:

Right seam:

Sorry about the crummy cell phone pictures, my 'good' camera is in a box unaccessible at the moment (meaning, I'm not sure which box it's in).

Comments (30)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They look amazing. I enlarged the closeup of the sink and it took me a minute to find the seam. They really did a great job with the veining in the different slabs. Good job on getting a good crew in their for your counters.

Your kitchen looks fantastic, and I can't wait for the finished product especially since you're considering Fire clay tile. What colors and finish are looking at? I have practically been living on that site foe the last couple of weeks.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Beautiful! Stunning! Love your soapstone.

• psbjmb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

IowaCommute - I ordered the following colors from fireclay:

Kiwi, Kelp, SeaFoam, Seagreen, Azurine, Emerald, and then for good measure (for other locations, not the kitchen) - Oak, Bryce Canyon and Turquoise .

If I do go with tile, I think I'll do the recent 'standard' subway style - I don't care for it (for me in my kitchen) in white, but I am liking it in other colors. I want to be careful to complement the stone though, and not compete with it.

• huango
    9 years ago

One of the most beautiful soapstone I've ever seen!
    love it!
    congrats!
    great seams!
    Amanda

• Bunny
    9 years ago

What seams?!!! That's a beautiful counter and I would be proud to have seams that look like yours. I think you have done an amazing job for $11K. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! What an amazing job and the veining in the seams is flawless.

I loved the Fireclay Tiles, please post pictures! The colors were amazing and the customer service was phenomenal, it just did not work for me.

Keep us posted!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I would love to see your fireclay samples against the countertop if you have a chance. We are planning on soapstone and I'm considering fireclay tiles for our backsplash.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The counters are stunning! I'm putting up a fireclay backsplash (won't help you - my kitchen is totally modern, with white Ceasarstone counters) - the tile should be in next week. I'll keep you posted.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous!! Lucky you. Enjoy :-)

• Susied3
    9 years ago

Psbjmb, are you in Texas? If so, do you mind telling me what part? I have looked for two years and can't find soapstone, much less a fabricator in our area! Your soapstone is beautiful!

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Your soapstone is beautiful! And what seams??? I also want to see the fireclay tile next to your soapstone :-) I love fireclay's tile. We are going with fireclay's glass tile in Island Flower for our backsplash.

• psbjmb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all - I am tickled , so much second guessing that the stone would be too 'busy'.

I will post pictures of the sample fireclay tiles leaning against the counter - and probably ask for input (add to the weekend to do list - 'find good camera'!) I have a feeling that the backsplash may be another splurge and up my total amount considerably. Thank goodness I have a small kitchen (how often do we say that, lol) and not much backsplash area :-)

susied3 - yes I am in Texas - the hill country (halfway between Wimberley and Blanco, 45ish mins west of Austin, an hour north of San Antonio). I used Latera in Austin(www.laterasurfaces.com) for the stone - I think they're affiliated with Dorado. The fabricator is Austin StoneWorks.

I ordered samples from Dorado and my favorite was called 'Pratima'. Latera only had a few options available, and one called 'Anasazi' looked very similar to the sample of Pratima. When I visited, the Anasazi had been tagged for another customer. The other slabs were pretty, but without the dramatic veins we liked. Thankfully, the other customer changed their mind and I got what I wanted :-)

• psbjmb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to add for susied3 - Latera's website indicates a location in Dallas (Carrollton) also, in case that's closer to you

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I want soapstone!!!!! It's gorgeous.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Psbjmb, I think the tile will look fantastic. I have been dreaming about some of those colors too especially the jade and aqua. I think your kitchen will look amazing, and I wish you good luck on a happy finish.

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

Love the soapstone! Makes me second guess my decision for jet mist granite but I have to remind myself that there is a cost difference:))

Beautiful, beautiful counters.

• katy-lou
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Nicely done

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

PSB- Wow! Love your soapstone! The T is amazing as well as your seams!
    We might do Texas Hell Week next year- which is in the Texas hills - a week long bicycle ride!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Love it! Thanks for sharing. Soapstone is my hands-down favorite countertop material and yours is beautiful.

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

I'm so glad the Anasazi worked out for you! They did an awesome job on the seams. Austin StoneWorks has a great reputation and I'm glad they came through for you. Also, it sounds like you got a great price on the countertops too. Can't wait to see it all come together.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

What gorgeous countertops! I love the combination with the cabinets. So pretty--enjoy!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very nice! I can't believe you did all that with an $11,000 budget. I've recently priced new cabinets, soapstone counters, and new appliances and I'm looking at 3 times that much even staying in the same footprint I have now :(. The veining in the soapstone is really pretty.

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Your soapstone is absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with the rest of your reno.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

One off the prettiest slabs of soapstone I have seen, and it looks amazing in your kitchen!

• Susied3
    9 years ago

Psbjmb. Wow great minds think alike! I have samples from MTexara sitting on my counter now WITH Fireclay samples! Thank you for the contact info. I called and talked to them and will go see what is available in Carrollton on Tuesday. They have a couple slabs but they also said I could look at slabs in Austin. It would be worth the drive.
    I too, love the Pratima.
    Now that I've seen your "T", that's all I will be looking for. LOL
    Congratulations, your tops are beautiful, and can't wait to see more pictures!

• User
    9 years ago

So beautiful those counters! Wonderful kitchen.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's beautiful :)

• psbjmb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TexasPenny - I was delighted to get the slab I wanted. I left a deposit on a different one (much quieter), and had almost talked myself into liking it. I'm very happy I didn't have to settle.

juddgirl2 - I'm pretty pleased with how the budget worked out. The biggest savings was buying the cabinets online (Cliq Studios - mixed reviews depending on who you talk to or read, they were great for me) and doing all the work except the counters myself (demo, drywall repair, and install). FYI, I'm a 54 year old woman, not particularly fit, with little previous diy experience (well, I could hang pictures :-) ). YouTube and Google have been my best friends ... as well as my laser level. I have *so* much more to do, but at least I can start to see the results. I only replaced the range and dishwasher, the refrigerator was fairly new, so that helped keep the appliance price down.

In case anyone else is interested, my costs so far: cabinets just under $4000, counter tops $3400, appliances $1500, Sink and faucet $1100. I didn't change my island or pantry (so you don't see pictures of them yet, lol). I have matching paint for them. I also have 2 8ft slabs of walnut butcher block from Lumber Liquidators ($775) for the island counter top. I also spent a couple hundred on miscellaneous (laser level, good cabinet screws, 2x4s for ledger boards, etc) The $11000 doesn't cover the fireclay tile for the backsplash, but I still have a little $$ left in the budget, we'll see if it covers it :-) If not, beadboard is the backup plan (cheap and easy to install) until I save up money for the tile

Thank you all for the compliments - I have been feeling stressed with how much is left, but hearing nice things is motivation to keep going.

Susied3 - I hope you find some you like, I still have my samples and have been trying to think of something to do with them. I'm about 45 minutes from Austin (west)- if you come down this way and want to see mine in person, let me know :-) BTW, The 'T' was purely by accident, but I love it.

Off to Home Depot ...

Patty

• stealthecrumbs
    9 years ago

Firstly, that is a truly gorgeous counter. (As others have said, but I'll say it again.) WOW! Really. I go back and forth on soapstone but yours makes me a true believer. Also, to my eye, those seams are great. Secondly, that you did most of this DIY is really impressive. What a great job. I truly can't wait to see the finished product!