Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexluthor_gw

Finished Kitchen-Before and After Pictures

lexluthor
15 years ago

Well, we are about 95% done with out upgrade from the house's original 1960's kitchen, just a few little details left (fixture/table in dining area, new toaster oven and a few other things).

Cabinets are Kraftmaid Cherry Antique Chocolate with a Mocha Glaze, Granite is Peacock Green, Floor is Emil Glazed Porcelain, Backsplash is Florida Tile Tumbled Marble with a few glass inserts, Appliances are GE Profile, Faucet is Kohler Vinnata, Sink is Artisan Single D shape, Knobs/Pulls are Amerock Inspirations, Paint is BM Key West Ivory. Anything I missed?

We knocked down the wall between the Kitchen and Dining Room areas (just left a piece of the wall there next to the fridge), expanded the entrance to the Kitchen and over doubled the size of the pantry (depth too, we cut a little into the room behind it to expand the pantry).

I think our contractor did a very nice job. I haven't really been able to find too much in the way of issues.

Still deciding if we have to paint the French Doors in the dining area white or not, like we did in Kitchen. It's a really pretty wood as it is and once it's white, there's really no going back.

We appreciate this forum and the help we've received along the way.

Comments (15)

• User
    15 years ago

OH I love it! Very warm and inviting- will have to look at that paint color in person. Love the location of the sink- the floor, the knobs, backsplash, the colors and all the details. Great job. You must be sooooooooo happy!

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Awesome job, you did good in the reno. Mine is nearly finished but we didn't move anything or replace cabs. Just removed wallpaper, textured and painted, a few new appliances, new tile and new lighting.
    It's made a big change for the better in our kitchen. Still have base board, appliances to put in and then decorate, oh and one more light to put in.

I know your enjoying your new kitchen. BTW, Our tile is in a pattern close to yours' 20x20's and 13x13's. Love it

• minette99
    15 years ago

So pretty! I also love where you placed the sink - very smart and it looks great! And I love the bank of windows -- whoa! Wonderful kitchen, enjoy it!

• wallycat
    15 years ago

Agree...very warm and inviting!!
    Beautiful!

• katienic
    15 years ago

So warm & inviting. A kitchen to live in! You must be loving all those windows, added space,and how cool is the sink in the corner looking out your beautiful windows. How great to no longer have that as the focal point of the peninsula!

I too have a multi-paned glass door that I need to decide whether to paint it out in the trim white or try to find a paint-type deck stain that would go well with the dark stain I have. I was told by the cabinet guy that I won't be able to stain it to match as it would be blotchy, so I expect I will also need to paint it out white.

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

Your new kitchen is so inviting, bright and cheery. I love that long counter in front of the windows. I'll bet it's a great place to do prep.

• alice462
    15 years ago

Very pretty combination's, I especially like your "window wall" and the tile pattern on the floor.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think your floor is great. The pattern looks really neat.

• alaskangirl
    15 years ago

I didn't even realize at first that the gorgeous bank of windows were the original ones! They look brand new with a coat of paint. I say go for it, and paint your french door as well! I know the feeling, because I hestitated before painting wood trimwork in a previous house. Once I did it, I never regretted it.

I like how you flipped the kitchen floorplan around to better use all that beautiful light coming in. Great idea!

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Lex

Congrats on your lovely new kitchen - Love the warm palette, lots of natural light
    Yes, paint the FD white, it will be more cohesive

Enjoy

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Wow, neat use of space. That must have taken some vision to flip everything about and use the natural light. I'm usually not a fan of painted woodwork but I think it would complete the connection between the two spaces in one room. Enjoy your new kitchen.

• mom3suns
    15 years ago

Wow! It is a wonderful new kitchen! I also would paint the door. It will keep the kitchen bright and balance the windows. Your cherry cabinets will really shine.

• starlightfarm
    15 years ago

I love the color of the cabinets. That dark stain "just goes" in that kitchen.... perfect choice.

I think that you should stain the door to match the cabinets. I think it would add a lot to that area. We purchased extra stain when we ordered our cabinets so we could stain a door. We used a wood conditioner first (which helps to even out stain and avoid the "blotch-iness" that your contractor mentioned). It turned out beautiful. And... if the stain doesn't look good.... you can always paint it!! But my vote is to stain the door the wonderful chocolate color of the cabinets.

• lexluthor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the encouragement.

We are very happy with how it turned out.

The GC is there making some final touches today and then he's done.

The last thing I need to decide is I really should paint that French Door and trim white. I know it *should* be white, but it's a really nice (and while was not installed as part of this project) and expensive door as it is.

Once it's white, I doubt I could ever get it back to the nice natural work it is now.

Should I definitely paint it white to complete the overall look for the new kitchen/dining area?

• tofh
    15 years ago

This is absolutely amazing! I love it!