Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

All white kitchen cabinets or white perimeter w/stained peninsula

aries61
9 years ago

Try to decide between the above two options. I'm considering between frosty white(left), colonial stained cherry(middle) and designer white(right). Please note that the tile they're on is from the master bath. Have not yet decided what I'm doing with the kitchen floor. All from Conestoga wood products in a raised panel door with a beaded inset cabinet. What are your suggestions and comments?

Comments (20)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I can't imagine picking cabinetry without knowing what the flooring is! Also, natural lighting, etc. is a huge consideration when picking between white or dark wood.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Agree with feisty but since you're asking for opinions, I like the white on the right (the whiter one). As far as all white versus white perimeters with walnut peninsula, here are my thoughts - if your doing one countertop surface, I like the peninsula in walnut. If you're doing a different countertop for the peninsula, I like all white.
    My opinions are based on what I did: a brighter white which I agonized over and all white cabinets & islands.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

feisty68, will probably go with a darker wood floor for the kitchen. I have a natural oak floor currently and wish it was darker. I have two windows in the kitchen which are about 3' x 3' each. One is over the sink and the other one is by the peninsula. I do get other natural light from the rest of the house.

romy718, you still have one of my favorite kitchens. I'm guessing designer white is close to your white. Did you ever uncover your walnut floors? I was thinking about doing one color counter top for the perimeter and like you walnut on the peninsula, but my sister is telling me that it would'nt be a good idea. I do value her opinion, but don't always follow it.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I know I got my BM fan deck out & to see which BM color corresponded to my cabinets but I don't remember which white was the closest match. It might have been Designer White. I'm out of town or I'd check.
    My floors are still covered. We started our reno the end of March, 2013. Most of the delays were ours, family medical issues that caused me to leave town & delayed decisions. We just had the final light fixtures installed & I hope to be done with this reno in the very near future.
    What are you planning to use for your perimeter counters?
    Is your sister's concern about the durability or upkeep of a wood top? The finish on our top is durable as far as food & liquids but it is not scratch proof.
    We're empty nesters so not as much of a concern for us. Right now, I'm holding my first grandchild, he's 3 weeks old. I'm envisioning him playing with trucks on my walnut floors & walnut countertop.
    Edit: typos 3:48am, still holding baby boy

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 3:49

• Majra
    9 years ago

Congratulations Romy718! You should put him on the counter and post a pic as KAW!

Aries61, I would absolutely choose your floors first. As for the whites, I like the creamier one. The stain is lovely too; I can't see ever regretting putting something so rich-looking in your home, unless it looks out of place with the floors. ;)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hijack - I believe Majra asked for a pic.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 4:48

• romy718
    9 years ago

We usually post pics of cats or dogs, not babies. This is my 4am assistant. Don't worry, he's a sweetheart & he isn't physically capable of jumping into the crib to cuddle.

• Majra
    9 years ago

Ooohhh aaahhhh!!! Thank you! You made my night Romy718!

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718 and Majra, I'll respond later to your comments and suggestions later this afternoon or night. Woke up with a migraine this morning so I slept in and now running late for work.

romy718, congrats on your grandchild !!

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718, Yes, sister's concern is about the durability or upkeep of a wood top. I live alone and really don't have much company, so I'm not worried about that.

I really haven't decided on perimeter counter tops yet. I doing one thing at a time. Anytime I've planned anything to the smallest detail it usually doesn't work for me. So I start with one piece and add to it. I really don't have anything on my must have list for the kitchen.

What is your ceiling height in your kitchen?

Majra, thanks for your advice. I have an idea for my floors, but not the exact shade except it's going to be on the darker side. Currently the kitchen has a wood floor and my entry which is directly opposite the kitchen has a tile floor. I'm going to do hardwood in both this time. I'm also re staining my oak staircase and changing out the handrail and balusters in an antique nickel to something similar to the attached picture.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Pretty staircase. I had my golden oak/orange staircase restained a few years ago to a dark finish - the wood grain is no longer visible. It completely changed the look of the staircase.
    My ceilings are 9 ft.
    Enjoy your remodel. I sure enjoyed mine although at times making decisions was downright painful.

• Majra
    9 years ago

I went from wood and tile to dark wood throughout and I can't believe how much more expansive the space feels. One warning--dark floors show every speck of dust and dirt and pet hair etc. I don't mind since I love the color and I'm a neat nick anyways.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Neat nick here too & I love my dark wood floors.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718 and Majra, Thanks for letting me know that you like your dark floors. Unfortunately, I'm not a neat nick . I don't have any pets so don't need to worry about pet hair.

Majra, do you have any pictures of your wood floors?

I could leave them covered like romy718 has and then don't have to worry about dust or dirt showing. Just kidding.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. It appreciated.

• Majra
    9 years ago

Here's a composite showing before and after. Hope it helps!

• berryjam
    9 years ago

Majra, you've got a beautiful living space.

Romy, congratulations on your grandchild!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack but am interested in what people have to say also. Thanks

• mdln
    9 years ago

@ romy718 - love the pic of kitty watching baby, SO cute!

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Majra, thanks for the picture. Very nice. I'll probably go something in that color family.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

romy! He's a grandson?!! When you posted his photo in the cat thread (they're insidious!) I thought, romy had a baby?!!! And didn't miss a beat?!!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES