Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen window/light - door to parlor/2nd floor deck

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 8:56

I'm interested in suggestions for door combinations off our parlor floor kitchen in the rear of our old brownstone in Brooklyn, New York, that allow sufficient light to the kitchen but also protection against weather, and bugs, and provide decent security. (although our yard is fenced in, so security issues aren't tops on the list) We're converting a window to a door and adding a small/medium sized steel deck off the kitchen/dining room, and the door will be the only source of natural light to the kitchen (with 2 picture windows off the adjoining dining room providing less direct natural light).

Do people usually have an inward-swinging wood door on the inside and outward-swinging door on the outside for example, with a lot of glass? Is there a way to incorporate a screen into the mix for summertime, by having a glass pane or two that are convertible to screen for the warmer months?

On our ground floor kitchen/dining room deck (soon to be a rental), we have an inswinging wood door off the dining room (next to 2 windows, so light is less of an issue) and an outswinging screen door to the deck. This protects against bugs when the inside door is open, but we get some real drafts in the winter and some real heat in the summer.

I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen window/light - door to parlor/2nd floor deck

I have a single inswing Marvin french door with transom in my brownstone parlor kitchen. They are made with an integrated frame so the seal is pretty good and less draft/heat/cold issues than I expected. They are made to order so you can order them to fit your brick opening. Although I looked into having a screen (retractable or outswing) I never bothered. The door is open a lot all summer without much of a bug issue.

IIRC, your kitchen is tight and an outswing might suit you better. I didn''t need an operating transom but that might address your desire to "open" a window. Or you could just open your dining room windows - your kitchen is totally open to it. Go to some window dealers with big displays - not HD/Lowes - and take a look at the door displays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here