Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do self clean ovens discolor white cabinets?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 8:55

I just had a tenant move out and they destroyed a new range I had given them. I need to get a new one and was wondering if a self clean oven is a bad choice with tenants. I'm concerned with inexpensive white (IKEA) cabinet doors yellowing next to the range if they use the self clean oven feature. Would appreciate any feedback on this as I'm ordering the range shortly. Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do self clean ovens discolor white cabinets?

You might get very mixed responses here.

I know nothing about ikea or white cabinets. I will say that I would never put another range in a rental that wasn't self clean. If you don't make it easy to clean who is going to clean it when they move out? Not me, never again.

o

I have wall ovens, but have not had ant discoloration of the surrounding white cabs.

o

I have a Bosch gas range and painted white cabinets. No discoloration.
I would post the question also on the IKEA fans forum.

o

EVERYTHING discolors white cabinets.

Dirt, grime, heat, age, the cleaners to remove the dirt and grime.

White is NOT a good rental color.

o

You need a heat shield installed between the cabinets and the range. Ikea should sell one. Almost any cabinet company does. And all of the adjacent doors and drawers need to be opened up when the self clean feature is operated. That's also a standard requirement with any thermofoil cabinet. And it's a good idea for any other cabinets as well. The idea is to prevent heat build up by allowing air to circulate.

o

I had white painted ikea cabinets (stat) and no yellowing from a GE gas self cleaning range in my last kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here