Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Handmade Tile Recommendations?

kitchenkrazed09
12 years ago

I am looking for backsplash tiles, probably a white or off-white subway tile. I want a calm backsplash to complement my granite and not take away from the other focal points in the kitchen.

Since I am not planning anything fancy for the pattern and probably won't have accent tiles, I thought a handmade tile would add some depth and interest. I love the waves in them and that they are not perfect. Can anyone recommend some pretty ones?

Comments (20)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I used Tabarka tile for a fpl surround and for the counter around my vanity sink.
    They do a lot of Moroccan feel, but also have plain, simple tiles.

You can also search under encaustic or artisanal tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand made tile

• lolonwood
    12 years ago

You might consider the Eartha tiles from Avente Tile.
    They make beautiful handmade tile. www.aventetile.com

• Jody
    12 years ago

I was at a tile showcase last week and found some beautiful hand made tles by Ken Mason Tile .... unfortunately I forgot to get any pricing on his tiles ... they are gorgeous (and I'm thinking pricey)!!!

jody

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

We had a good experience with Pratt & Larsen, through Artistic Tile in Manhattan.
    Lynn

• shaughnn
    12 years ago

I've installed Horus Art Ceramiche "Broadway One" series in several backsplashes and bathroom projects and my clients have always been very happy with the cost and the final result.
    Best of luck,
    Shaughnn

• sayde
    12 years ago

Sonoma Artisan in Mocha (which is really off white), and Walter Zanger Gramercy Park in Bone China or Heirloom White. I'm waiting for my Gramercy Park tiles to be delivered!

I don't think these are "hand made" but they are beautiful . . .

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

We have something by Country Floors. I'm guessing it might be the Antique Chiaro Gloss (no crackle) from their California collection. It's been 20 years since installation but I like that trim pieces (including a field tile with a glazed edge) were available to enable us to have a nice clean finished edge. This might not be a factor for you if your backsplash runs into a side wall, but ours turns and is carried out on both ends of the run to the counter edge (because the cooktop is at one end of the run so we needed a splash there). The glazed edge that you see has a substantial heft and adds to the hand made feel.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I checked out the web sites of the various tiles that were recommended and they all look so beautiful.

Sayde - I saw the Sonoma Artisan tiles in person and they are very pretty. I've been considering them as an option.

Mtnrdredux - The Tabarka tile is really gorgeous. I will try the other searches you mentioned too.

Ellendi - I love the Grazia Rixi tiles! I almost chose them, but unfortunately the white/off-white colors didn't go so well with my cabinets and granite. They have a tighter crackle than most crackle tiles and they have a little sparkle to them.

Thanks everyone for all the great leads. I have a lot of tiles to check out now!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I am late to this post, forgive me.
    If you have not already bought tiles you might visit
    Brittany and Coggs website. They are in NH a great tile co.
    Beautiful does not begin to describe the tiles.
    ~boxerpups

• francoise47
    12 years ago

You might check out Mosaic Houses's hand made moroccan bejmat tiles. Michael Smith used them in a 2" x 6" format in the House Beautiful kitchen of the month, 2007 I believe. In my humble opinion, this is one of the most beautiful classic "English style" kitchens Michael Smith has ever designed.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Pewabic and Motawi of course. But they are pricey. I mixed my Motawi accents with handmade (I could see fingerprints on the back) subways from Daltile. (Maybe it was AO?) They were beautiful and durable and not really really expensive. Don't rule out the big companies.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxerpups - Those tiles are absolutely gorgeous!

Francoise47 - That is a beautiful kitchen. I wonder what the countertop is. I will check out the Mosaic House Tiles.

Fori - Good point about the big companies. It may be easier to locate dealers for them too.

Thanks everyone!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi KK09, the counter in the Michael Smith kitchen I posted a picture of is Lagos Azul. I fell in love with it in that picture and then quickly fell out of love with Lagos Azul when I got a sample and found out how easily it scratches.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Francoise47 - It is so pretty. Too bad it's not more durable.

• histokitch
    12 years ago

Everybody has seen my kitchen a billion times, but I have the Mosaic House tiles, too. Here's a closeup. Click on the pic for the rest of the album.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Histokitch - I have seen your kitchen quite a bit, but that's because it's in my saved folder and I love to look at it! Nice close-up of the tiles, you can really see their beauty. What color are they?

• histokitch
    12 years ago

They're white, but there is a lot of variety in what they call white. Mine is laid in a 1/3 pattern because I wasn't sure if the regularity of regular subway would be as good. Also, I have small grout lines because I wanted to emphasize the waviness of the tiles. I think you can tell the difference with Michael Smith's application. Some were really wacky or had very dark spots and weren't used.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Histokitch, I never have seen your finished kitchen, and enjoyed this tour so much! Loved the tile, the lighting fixtures, the colors, the adjacent rooms and beautiful Tudor Revival house. You must be so thrilled.
    Lynn

• Mirireno
    9 years ago

To Histokitch: I just discovered your perfectly beautiful kitchen, and I'm hoping you still check this site and thread: I'm about to install bejmat in my kitchen, and I love the look of yours (better than Michael Smith's). Do you remember what color grout you used? I want very thin, unobtrusive lines, with the 1/3 spacing like you have. Thanks!