Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxee123_gw

Does subway tile work with Mexican tile and creme de Bordeaux cou

maxee123
10 years ago

Would very much appreciate your thoughts for my new backsplash.
I love subway tile, but does it work with existing Mexican tile
and new countertop?

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

the classic backsplash for Saltillo tile floors is the square handmade Mexican tile - pattern or plain.

However, that cream handmade 3x6 you asked about would look great in terms of color and rustic feel.

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, lazygardens for your reply. Confirms what I have in mind. I am considering the Emser Cape Cod cream crackle. Also have a sample of the Ken Mason core gloss crackle, and Artistic Tile biscuit crackle. Waiting for samples from Adex Hampton and Grazia. All subway cream crackle variations on the same theme! I just love the subway tile look....trying very hard to work this with my floor.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I would vote no. I think you need something more earthy.

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosylady.....in my gut and heart, I know you are right. That is why I am fretting so much. I am fighting working around the mexican tile. Taking my time to figure it out. Thanks again for your reply.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I think a square tile would fit better in your kitchen. For me the issue with the subways is the shape as much as the color, although a handmade crackle finish is definitely more earthy. I also think subways most often read vintage or traditional.

What about Fireclay tiles? Something like this in a different color would be beautiful.

{{!gwi}}

Maybe a warm color pulled from your floor tile and your granite.

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow....I like that idea. Going to check online for the fireclay. So, perhaps, I should pick up a color from the granite that also goes with the floor rather than matching the cabinet color. I just want to update....can't do major remodeling. Thanks again, rosylady, for your time and advice!

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again rosylady,
    Thank you so much for your fireclay suggestion. I have checked it out online and think it is beautiful. Will be requesting samples.

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, rosylady,
    Just have to say thanks, again! I have several samples on the way from Fireclay Tile. I am so excited to see what they think will work. I sent them photos. I spoke to Emily who will help and she, in turn, talked to another designer to come up with appropriate sample selection.
    Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I love your tile floors, but I vote NO on subway tiles for that same room. Both are nice looks, but I don't see them fitting together.

• maxee123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, MrsPete. I am thinking square, too. But, just wondering what you think if the tiles were subway size 3x6, handmade, rustic with crackle glaze. Not a slick/sleek subway tile.