Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Layout

Posted by sararoseny (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 8:47

Hi!

I've been enjoying this site for a while- especially the kithcne and appliances. I have a few questions about my kitchen layout.

I have tried to attach two pictures- not sure if both will attach. If not, I'll post the 2nd in another post.

We orginally designed our kitchen with both the range and the sink in the corners. The KD said that we would get the most useable cabinet space that way. However, my DH was not happy with having the windo on that wall not being centered. It didn't bother me, but he really wanted it centered. So we made a 2nd design with the sink in the center and window centered over it. Now DH says he doesn't care so much about the window because he noticed that the other window, above the eat-in booth, would also be off center and they would match up.

So... What do you think? What are the benefits of each design? I was leaning towards the corner design because it did feel like better use of space. However, the center sink did bring the sink much closer to the range and fridge.

Thanks for your help!
Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Layout

Here is the new deisng:

o

I like the way the corner sink gives you more prep space between sink and range. I don't like the upper corner cabinet, I think it would make it feel closed in.

My sink doesn't have a window anywhere near it (open concept kitchen), my prep area is what has the nice view, and that's exactly where your window would be in the corner sink layout, too. In fact, if you got rid of the corner cab over the sink, could you enlarge the window?

I also like the wide pot and pan drawers near your range, much more convenient then in the sink under centered window layout. I can actually look at your first layout and envision where I would store almost everything. Do you have food storage somewhere and I'm missing it? That and the glasses being stored far from the fridge would be my only hang-up, there is always a compromise of some sort.

o

Controlfreakecs,

Thanky ou for your input. I said the same thing about the corner layout- that the window is more important for prep.

The corner top cabinet is not so deep so it doesn't stick out a lot, but I did have the same question about it getting in the way when I'm leaning over the sink.

The food is mostly in the pantry on the other side of the kitchen, next to the eat-in bench area. SOme will probably go in the island drawers as well.

I can put glasses in the cabinet between the oven and range.

I was trying to calculate which gqave me more useful storage space. Still not sure, but I think the middle sink design has a drop more storage.

Thanks for your help.

Sara

o

Wow. I thought putting a range or sink in the corner was frowned upon. It only lets 1 person use the sink at a time. And the range is the same way. I am surprised of a KD recommending either of those.

o

hmmm. Didn't think of that. Although I usually do cook alone. He said it's best use of counter space and cabinet space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here