Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

KAW - scones not sconces

oldbat2be
10 years ago

gwlolo - did you order sconces? I think I've been thinking of scones ever since your post :)

From Baking With Julia (get the book!), one batch, made two ways.

Comments (25)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Those look delicious!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- those look great - and you didn't even need a scone pan. I will have to try them.
    Did you make your own filling or just use jam?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi you two, they ARE good. I've inhaled three already! Usually raspberry but today strawberry.

Then for a healthier addition (and since it was almost 9 AM and DD needs to get up), a smoothie. A2 - as a baker, I always follow recipes to a T. With the VM, you learn you don't need to; you just add whatever you have in a certain order and if needed, add a little juice or water or other liquid if you need.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Those scones look delicious! I'm not a baker. Used to be, but it's so much work! Now I buy my scones. Our grocery store makes really yummy ones. Not as good as yours, I'm sure, but pretty good!

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! I haven't ever seen scones rolled up that way...very nice. And the smoothie looks great too. I just use a stick blender and make all kinds of good drinks. Your berries look yum ! c

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I am waiting for DH to come home to make our smoothies. He went for a bike ride - I was going to go but Friday, I had a wrestling match with a sock and the sock won - something out of place in my back and I look like I have bike shoes on when I am walking in regular shoes. LOL but hopefully better in a few days.

OldBat - those berries make it so pretty. I have some in the freezer to add.

So, today, I am making the multigrain bread recipe from the vitamin hand out but it is in my bread machine as I will need my container for the smoothies and soup. (I am hoping to make asparagus soup in VM)

• rkb21
    10 years ago

oldbat- those scones look amazing!!!

a2gemini: I would love the asparagus soup recipe...is it from online or your own recipe?

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I haven't made it - it is in the 750 book. If it works, I can try to post my mods - but leaning toward a tomato basil soup for tonight.

So, my smoothies were a hit - DH didn't discover the kale (he hates kale). The guac was great and heading to make soup soon.

I might get the hang of this thing...

OldBat - keep posting those KAW pics and recipes!

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Oh my, those scones look so good. I can just imagine them along with a nice cup of hot freshly brewed coffee.

Today I'm dehydrating a raw food oat protein cookie experiment. I used the VM to mix the wet ingredients - dates, fresh pineapple, fresh ginger, cinnamon, protein powder, a touch of raw manuka honey & molasses, flax seeds, and organic coconut oil. I then mixed that with my pulse-chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruits, seeds, and soaked whole oats. It was the best protein-enhanced granola-type batter I've ever made. They should finish dehydrating by tomorrow morning.

Can you tell I'm in major experimenting mode?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

oldbat-those look so good! Are they fool proof? ;) I might really have to get that book. We received some scones from a neighbor after we had our first child (10 years ago) and they were SO good - that was the first time I'd ever had one. I've never dared try to make them though. They bring back special memories and I might just give it a try since I love to bake!

• benlinus
    10 years ago

These scones looks delicious! I'm not a baker. Used to be, but it is so much work! Now I buy my scones. Our grocery store makes them really yummy. Not as good as yours, I'm sure, but pretty good!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Oh shoot! My invitation for brunch must have gotten lost in the mail. Looks wonderful!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Oh shoot! My invitation for brunch must have gotten lost in the mail. Looks wonderful!

• eleena
    10 years ago

Judging by the discussion, I thought you might appreciate this recipe I am linking.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Really healthy cookies

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Eleena's cookies and Ob2b's fruit smoothie, I'm set! Great recipe!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn.4 - yes, I'd call them foolproof. The dough is a little sticky so make sure you have a pastry scraper handy. (Great tool, am linking a picture of it in case anyone is not familiar). It makes cleanup a breeze.

A2 - hope you're feeling better. I've found my back goes when I'm really stressed AND not getting a lot of exercise. How was the multigrain bread?

Thanks trailrunner, rkb21. The kids prefer them rolled, with the jam.

AnnaA- how did the 'raw food oat protein cookie experiment' turn out? Those and Elena's cookies sound delish. And I'm going out on a limb here, but am willing to guess that's a dehydrator? I've never seen one before and would be interested in knowing more about how and why you use it.

Legallin - sorry, next time :)

Benlinus, desertdance- just so long as you have a source. I used to have a Dean and Deluca close by, and would swing in on the way to work each day for my coffee and scone. Sigh, just remembering how good those were makes me hungry....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pastry scraper

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Eleena - I will have to check out the healthy cookie site - I made my muffins this morning.

OldBat - I can't blame on not enough exercise - I am training for a half marathon - stress - I supposed to be retired, so why did I work 11 hours yesterday.... Hmmm
    My back is doing better but frustrating as I was supposed to run or bike this morning.
    I will check the link for your pastry scraper - I have one but it is not very big - I got is as a wedding present but never realized what it was until recently.

Today, I am going to try to make a veggie juice in my Vitamix. Looks like a punt recipe as I will use the veggies in my fridge plus maybe an orange to sweeten it a bit. Should prove interesting.

This post was edited by a2gemini on Tue, May 7, 13 at 8:47

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

oldbat-you read my mind ;) thanks for the link to the scraper since I am that one 'that may not be familiar'. I really want to try it. I like to bake but have never really made my own dough from scratch, fillings yes but dough makes me panicky just thinking about it.

I am loving the pic of your blender and smoothies against the back drop of your backsplash too - what a happy space!

A2 - have you ever run the riverbank 25K (in GR)? It just popped in my head since it's this weekend. I am doing the 10k. The weather is usually not great for it but this year looks half way decent. Did your tomato basil soup turn out? I love that soup and if it did would you mind sharing the recipe? I've only had it in restaurants and never duplicated it at home.

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Ob2b, the raw dehydrated cookies are wonderful! And yes, that's a dehydrator. We've used a Ronco circular unit for close to 20 years, drying mostly herbs and roses during the summer. The unit never heated evenly, so this year it joined my small appliance makeover list.

I am loving this model. We're stepping up our dehydrating menu this summer so we went with the full luxury model.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Anna - I will have to send you the recipe for Marathon Morsels that my friend developed. It is published but she has made some modifications and I need to get those.

Autumn - I have not run that one.
    I am ditching the half and going bicycling instead.

My back is doing better but I haven't run in a week and my training was weak already. I can bicycle if I am careful without irritating the back. My Miracle spine doc put me back together yesterday.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

oldbat, I've just added another cookbook to my list. I have only one Julia book, and could certainly do with more. Thanks! (Those scones look to-die-for!)

(Mini hijack: a2, sorry to hear of your troubles! I'm glad your dr. could patch you up!)

• deedles
    10 years ago

OB2B: it's kind of mean to post such delicious looking things. My mouth actually watered a bit.... drool*

I love scones and coffee.....

I'll second your pastry scraper recommendation. I've been working with Einkorn wheat flour; low gluten and tends to be sticky. On a whim I grabbed my scraper and did that ever help me to get my pie crust into the pan without tearing it. I'm a believer.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Since we are talking scones not sconces... :-)

For those who want low-gluten or gluten free:

I really like Pamela's recipe for gluten free scones. I get her GF pancake mix from Amazon. The recipe is printed on the big pack or you can get it from her website. They are very easy to make and yummy.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Oldbat! I love those scones! They look so delish! Not fair tempting us with those yummy vitamix smoothies and scones. I now have permanent association because of my stupid typo and now your post that I will want to eat scones every time I switch on the bathroom sconces:)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Picked up a scraper this week...one step closer to giving it a whirl! Now I need to make sure I have all of the ingredients in the house!

A2-glad you are able to bike without irritating the injury. Our bodies are pretty good at telling us when to ditch things and move on to something else! I hope to someday bike with my hubby. Too hard for us both to do it right now with the kids ages. I can run in the dark (with my 'attack' goldendoodle) but biking not so much.