Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belfastbound_gw

Faucet to right middle of sink What do you think?

BelfastBound
9 years ago

Our new construction kitchen sink will be custom made so we can place drain hole where we like. What do you think of placing faucet to right of sink in the middle so it could be reached from a wheelchair or without leaning forward? Would use a one handle faucet. Thanks to all who take the time to reply.

Comments (16)

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Have you considered a tapmaster instead? Centering the faucet will be my preference.
    Good luck!

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

A tapmaster might not be accessible to a wheelchair person easily. (If you're in a wheelchair, then something about your legs doesn't work correctly.) While you could do a deck or cabinet door mount tapmaster, then this is one more obstacle in the way of the wheelchair person. In addition, if the faucet had a pull spray then the right mounted faucet would make this accessible to the person, as well, whereas the back mounted faucet would be out of reach.

I say if mounting it right sided doesn't get in your natural way, then it's NEVER a bad idea to plan ahead in case of special needs. I plan most everything for Case A and Case B.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I agree with BBDF, if that placement is a decision based on forward-thought or current need, then by all means do it. I would be sure, however, that the sink is deep enough front-to-back that you (or whoever) can still get all the pots under it to fill that need to be filled at the sink.

• Fori
    9 years ago

KOhler's "Indio" sink can be set up almost like that (their 2-hole version probably expects the faucet in the rear corner hole but it could certainly be moved up).

It would look fine, but more so in a modern/contemporary kitchen I think. Making sure the water ends up where you want it is something to pay attention to of course.

One could also explore a 2-hole faucet and see about getting the handle closer while the spout can stay in a modern traditional position.

As long as the thing functions the way it should, nobody will judge your kitchen badly for having something different to accommodate special needs. You might start a trend.

• BelfastBound
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am right handed. I am practicing in my mind, pulling the hose spray left to get to the left side of roasting pan. Now I wonder if the faucet should be placed left of sink so I can pull the hose more easily to the right. I can't believe one way feels more natural than the other - it must use different muscles. Thanks to everyone for their support. Would love tap master for now but read today that once installed my DH could not use the tap with his hands. I had thought the faucet would run either as a Tapmaster or manually.

• BelfastBound
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like placing a faucet next to a sink is a very old idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would research on some ADA-design or occupational therapy related sites where they have already figured this stuff out.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Bbdb,
    I was referring to the cabinet door tapmaster. I know what it means to be in a wheelchair. It does not always mean your legs don't work.

If a true universal design, the height of the cabinet is more a challenge for someone in a wheelchair.
    Good luck!

• calumin
    9 years ago

Here's a picture that illustrates the concept - looks like a good idea to me.

[Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_709) by Franklin Square Design-Build Firms DJ's Home Improvements

• mgmum
    9 years ago

If the person is right handed wouldn't it make more sense to put the faucet on the left so s/he can hold the pot or glass etc. in his/her right hand and operate the faucet with the left hand? If the person is right handed, that's likely the stronger hand to hold the dishes.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Here's an ADA design guidelines text. Has lots of information, much of which a lay person would not think about!

Scroll down to starting at 804.2.1 for kitchens thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: ADA design considerations

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

And here's a pretty good basic article, found on the web:

Here is a link that might be useful: Accessible kitchens

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

This one shows some interesting products that increase accessibility, such as pull down UPPER cabinet shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: More on accessible kitchen design

• BelfastBound
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBDF - Thanks a bunch. I saved the ADA guidelines to my computer. I was also wondering about light switches and I am sure it is in there somewhere. So helpful, I'm very grateful.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

There ya go. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: ADA wall mounted controls document

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My Mom's apartment isn't completely wheelchair accessible, but it is designed with Seniors in mind. All the wall outlets are 2 feet from the floor instead of 1 foot. One doesn't need to bend over so far, and they can be reached from a wheelchair. I wouldn't have thought of it.