Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

Positano, are you there?

Lake_Girl
11 years ago

Hi Positano. I hope I haven't ask you this already, since I've keep struggling with it. I was looking at your beautiful kitchen just now, and I have a grout question. We put up plain white subways from lowes on the backsplash. I "think" I want a grout that sets them off, without being too dark. We've tried Warm Gray from Lowes, and anitque white from Home depot so far on sample boards. Am I correct that yours is antique white from Lacticrete? How do you like it? Does it read gray or taupe? We need it to blend with white cabs and soapstone countertop, but DH doesn't want it to have a bluish undertone. Otherwise, it's going to white. Any tips are appreciated.

Secondly, what wall color did you use in your kitchen?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• positano
    11 years ago

Hi Lake Girl,
    My Sonoma tiles in the kitchen are very creamy and I did use the antique white laticrete from lowes. I love the way it came out. Definitely no blue, just a nice beige/gray. I'm not sure how it would look with white subways, I would do a sample board though. Grout was definitely the hardest decision, take your time and pick the right one.

In my basement bathroom I used bright white subways with silver shadow laticrete and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. More of a silvery gray that defines the tiles. I don't see it as blue.

My paint color in the kitchen is Benjamin Moore Crown Point Sand. It's very neutral and changes a little throughout the day.

Hope that helps!

Here is the Sonoma Tile with antique white grout

From Positano's Finished Kitchen

Basement bath with white subways and laticrete silver shadow

From Bathroom Renovation

From Bathroom Renovation

I also used silver shadow on the marble hex shower floor

From Upstairs and Basement bathrooms

• positano
    11 years ago

Hi Lake Girl,
    My Sonoma tiles in the kitchen are very creamy and I did use the antique white laticrete from lowes. I love the way it came out. Definitely no blue, just a nice beige/gray. I'm not sure how it would look with white subways, I would do a sample board though. Grout was definitely the hardest decision, take your time and pick the right one.

In my basement bathroom I used bright white subways with silver shadow laticrete and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. More of a silvery gray that defines the tiles. I don't see it as blue.

My paint color in the kitchen is Benjamin Moore Crown Point Sand. It's very neutral and changes a little throughout the day.

Hope that helps!

Here is the Sonoma Tile with antique white grout

From Positano's Finished Kitchen

Basement bath with white subways and laticrete silver shadow

From Bathroom Renovation

From Bathroom Renovation

I also used silver shadow on the marble hex shower floor

From Upstairs and Basement bathrooms

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Positano. I like how I can still see some subtle definition between your tiles and grout. Your not kidding about grout being hard. I wish they sold little grout sample kits for sample boards, those little plastic samples just don't quite do it. I'm sorta wishing I'd went with tongue and groove on the backsplash, but I tend to get sick of it just sitting there, and make rash decisions. I wouldn't dream of asking dh to change it, since he did such an awesome job of putting it up. It does look fine, just don't like the strong contrast I'm seeing right now, between the tile and lines. Anyway, I feel a rash decision coming on. Thanks, again.

• aporthole
    10 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd try asking a question anyway in hopes Positano may be able to comment.

Positano, now that it's been a while since your bathroom reno, have you had any issues with the light colored marble on the shower floor? Would you use it again? How is the cleaning/maintenance?

• positano
    10 years ago

Hi Aporthole,
    I haven't had any issues with the marble on the tile floor. Even though this bath is in the basement, it gets used almost daily. I love the marble hex on the floor and would definitely do it again. Cleaning has been a breeze.
    I use seventh Generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner on this marble and the marble hex floor I put in my upstairs bath. Safe for sealed surfaces and it cleans nicely.

Hope that helps!!
    Paula