Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peninsula or island.

Posted by mdmmhh (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 8:30

I am building a house and cannot decide to have an island (the plans have island) or connect island to wall and create a peninsula. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am attaching a kitchen that is like what my plan has. Arrangement of appliances depends on my decision. The peninsula would connect to wall where the wall oven is in the picture. Thanks for your help with decision. The back wall is about 9 and a half feet long. Sink stays in island and dishwasher gets moved to right side of sink. Range stays on back wall. Pros and cons or other ideas greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peninsula or island.

I think the island works well because people can go in and out of the kitchen from 2 directions. If you make it a peninsula and there was someone standing with the fridge open, there would be no way in or out.

o

I like islands, but I don't like that layout. The sink is too far from the range.

o

We have a peninsula, which I love, but if you extended that island in the picture right to the wall, I agree with the other poster, it really blocks off a lot of space. We designed the space on our kitchen so that the peninsula allows 2 people with full arms to pass each other with room to spare. It's working really nicely. What I like about peninsulas is that they provide a block to keep people out of the kitchen when I'm in there, unless I invite them to help :)

o

I have a peninsula and love it, it's what turns my kitchen from a U into a G. However, where it attaches to the wall would not have been an access point into the kitchen, so nothing is blocked. I agree with the others that in the photo you have shown, two points of access are better than one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here