Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

inexpensive fix for odd pass through

bbstx
10 years ago

DD & DSIL are looking at buying their first house. They have found one that they like except for an odd pass- through in the kitchen. It doesn't go into the dining room or family room, which would be logical. Rather, the pass- through goes into a small office space.

The pass-through is so odd that it is a deal breaker for DD. What are some ideas for eliminating the pass through?

I figure a good sheet-rock guy could fill it in, but then what would she do with the gap on the kitchen side?

Filling the gap with a nearly-matching cabinet and painting all of the cabinets is all I can come up with. But having just bought a house and all that is entailed in that, they would like a more economical solution.

Suggestions for what to do after it is sheet-rocked over, please?

Comments (19)

• DCkitchen13
    10 years ago

Why not hang some art there? I love art in a kitchen. Maybe a print like this one: http://store.countrymusichalloffame.com/products/It's-Better-Pure-Coffee.html

That is a truly strange pass-through.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Open shelves!

• cathy725
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest art/mirror too, although I love the idea of shelves. If you don't want it open, do narrow shelves with a divider so you block opening. Or shelves on one side, art on the other? Mirror that is paned to look like a window?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd thought of a mirror or a piece of art, but I hate to lose space in a kitchen, especially one no larger than this one.

I thought of shelves too, but I am having trouble imagining what/how.

Since the finish cannot be matched, would you recommend glass shelves or painting them? Do you think something like this plate rack would be too country for the style of this kitchen? It would have to be painted an accent color (black? cream? ). Would it be expensive? I can't find any online except DIY things and we aren't DIY folks (we have neither tools nor skills).

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Fill it in with drywall on both sides.

Hole gone.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I do think the plate rack look is a little too country for that kitchen. There are lots of finished shelves out there that are very easy to install. Try Ikea, Pottery Barn, etc. You'll need a screw driver, and for some it might be helpful to borrow a drill. You could go with wood tone, as long as it doesn't look like a near miss with the cab color, or painted would look nice, too, either a neutral or a fun "pop" color. Just for fun, here's my favorite over-sink decoration, from mermanmike's kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: mermanmike's kitchen reveal

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Does the office look like an addition? Does the office area have other windows? Maybe it was left for cross circulation?

• Fori
    10 years ago

My mom's house has something similar. It's so that you don't have a cabinet in your face, you know, taking the MUST HAVE WINDOW OVER SINK thing seriously. Hers has a vintage leaded glass window in it. It's kinda nice.

I'd do an art glass window in it and get creative with backlighting (tie it in to undercab lights perhaps).

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I agree with brickeye - I wouldn't over complicate it, just drywall it on both sides and hang art or a mirror or vintage platters there.

btw, I would have loved set-up that when my kids were toddlers - I would have made that small room a playroom and then I could have kept an eye on them from the sink (where I spent most of my time then anyway)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Wine rack! Can be accessed from both sides!! Tired at night working in the office? Grab a bottle of wine!

One of my favorite country songs is by Emmylou Harris.."it's all right 'cause it's midnight and I got two more bottles of wine..."

• cathy725
    10 years ago

ohhhh, wine rack! Great idea!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Stained glass. You can enjoy it from both sides.

• oceangirl67
    10 years ago

I believe this is meant to be used to place a kitchen shrine.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Cheap fix: Hang some curtains or a pleated shade over it & pretend it's a window until you get that 'Aha! moment' for the perfect solution.

I would probably drywall only the office side and fit shelves into the recess...perfect for spices...and have some doors made for it. Or not, depending on how obsessive you are.

Later on, when finances aren't so tight, they might opt to replace all of the uppers (since storeage looks minimal) with something very similar and then paint all the cabinets. Replacing those few uppers and adding one over the sink would be a big improvement and not cost a fortune, either.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

like gpraceman said, I was thinking some kind of pretty window that lets light in but obscures the view. This one is from shanghaimom's kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: shanghaimom's kitchen on the FKB

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I Love ci lantro's idea. Make it a niche, They could tile, use cool wall paper inside it, and it gives additional storage.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I just love the idea of making it a place to store spices!

• User
    10 years ago

I like either drywall office side/spice shelves kitchen side or drywall both sides/plate rack kitchen side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging plate rack

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! Great bunch of ideas.