Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisishishouse

Need kitchen layout advice

thisishishouse
9 years ago

I need peoples thoughts and experienced opinions on what would be a good layout for our new kitchen.

We just learned that the layout we'd planned and spent weeks designing will probably not work because of the placement of a structural beam.

This is the original: We preferred the cooktop on the peninsula because it'd provide us with a view of the rooms and outdoors beyond. Plus when we entertain, we cook and have conversation with people, which has been difficult facing a wall. But there's a venting problem. The end of an above vent run is blocked by a beam. And I hear undermounts are expensive, ineffective, and eat up a lot of cabinet space.

One suggestion was to swap the sink and the cooktop. I've seen plenty of pix of sinks on islands and peninsulas. That would be okay, but I see 2 issues. First, I think the sink in the middle of the peninsula spoils the usability of the space. Second, but minor, is that looking into the kitchen you end up seeing a faucet sticking up like a periscope. Just not accustomed to it I guess.

Another idea is to put everything on the wall and leave the peninsula free. This might be too tight. If there one benefit to this tight arrangement, it's that I think I end up with fewer upper cabinets, which means lower cost.

If it helps to know, to the right of the image is a large family room, and to the top is a bump out for an eating area. Large windows, lots of light, views.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and solutions.

Comments (5)