Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

Opinions on your backsplash Niche for oils

nepool
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've always loved the perceived practicality of having all my cooking supplies right on hand by the range. I'd love to hear from anyone who has this setup. Do the oils/vinegars etc.. get too hot and sticky? Is it as wonderful as you thought it would be or does it just look messy?

I tried a search with no luck.

Thank you
Below is a photo of what I was thinking for my kitchen (minus the pot filler and drool worthy range).

Eclectic Kitchen

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

I'll just be honest and say I am not a fan of the Niche for oils. Oils are sensitive to heat, and will go rancid easily. Spices too will deteriorate when exposed to heat and light. Also, I don't like the idea of reaching across the burner flames and steaming pots or splattering frypans to get to my bottle of oil. Just my $.02.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I like mine. I've got olive oil, canola oil, salt, pepper and a small teapot sitting on the ledge. The ledge is a small piece of granite which matches the counter and window sills, left skinny, not laminated, and has a slight overhang.

The oils are not in very large bottles, so they get used up failrly quickly. Also I have an induction cooktop so I imagine there is less heat generated into the air than if it were gas. If heat is a concern, maybe a pottery-type of bottle would be better than glass.

I'll post a pic when I'm home.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I dont have one, if I did I would prefer it to the side, rather than directly behind range, due to splatters and reaching over hot burners.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I keep mine on an open shelf just a few steps from the stovetop. I don't care for those niches at all. Worst ones are in back because that's a spot guaranteed to get gunk and heat. Don't care for them on the side either as I feel it isn't safe reaching around hot pots.

Best places are nearby or on a pull out to the left or right of the range.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I think they look cool, but think they are in reality impractical. Keep the niches in the showers where they belong and do a pretty tile mural if you need some drama behind the range.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

It's the worst place in the world for actual oil and spice storage. I can't think of what else would be practical to store close to the spatter zone that would be easily cleaned. So, you can tell I'm not a fan. But, I'm a function before form person. Some people are in the form before function camp and love the idea of that focal point.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of mine. If I had a gas range I might not want to have this, but I like the convenience and breaking up the area visually. My spices are in a drawer though, away from light and heat.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

It's totally practical and useful for me. I love having a few often-used things at my fingertips. Haven't had any issues with the oil going bad or cleaning problems.

But I do agree it would be impractical if you have a gas range because of the reaching and extra heat generated. If I had a gas range, I think I'd put those things into an upper cabinet which would be just a short arm's reach away.

• nepool
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys...it's a form over function thing, actually. Sounds like the best spot would be for me to have a cute caddy near the stove to put all that stuff. I will have gas.