Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

Cabico Espresso, Deerfield (KRD) or am I missing something?

joygreenwald
9 years ago

Though this is my first post, I promise, I have read hundreds of messages on the boards before posting. I don't know if it's a bad sign that I'm looking at cabinets that aren't often discussed, but I do need the help.

I have a basic design that I've been using to get quotes on cabinets. (We'll tweak it once we've settled on a cabinet line/maker.) I've tried reaching out to local cabinet makers, looking for that fabled "custom cabinets are actually cheaper," but I'm not finding that. My budget is limited, and it's not happening if I don't get it at a low cost. My husband is only barely on board for this.

Right now, I can do Cabico Espresso (Local store), Deerfield (Kitchen Resource DIrect), or Designer's Choice (Cabinet Pro Supply) for between $6-$7k. It's a fair number of cabinets in a small space. I can find little on anything but the Cabico, and what I do find is quite old.

I want Frameless overlay. What I really want is slab doors for a complementary/ transitional look, but I'm open to the Shaker. Medium cherry stain (almost certainly on Maple for cost.) The kitchen is 12 x 9, with three walls. I'm looking at a sort of J shape with a peninsula off one wall. Three corners isn't helping me cost wise, but it's the only way it works.

That's in advance for your thoughtful input!

Comments (4)

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I put Cabico cabinets in my kitchen 11 years ago, and have been okay with them, but I don't know whether they are not great quality, or if my expectations are too high. Having said that, their warranty has certainly improved since we had ours installed (5 years to lifetime of purchaser). I can tell you that I have the beaded inset, and from Day 1 have had problems with doors/drawers not opening cleanly. I was told it was the humidity, but I'm not convinced. It's just 2 of us here, and I am noticing that the finish is wearing off around some of the pulls. I am also now finding that some of the drawers don't seem to be handling the weight that well - I would guess that there is less than 25 lbs in the 30" drawer. Not sure I would use them again.

• happy8765
    9 years ago

Joygreenwald,

I have been looking at cabinets for what seems like forever. My latest and greatest is cabico expresso line the freddo door style in crema. They are frameless shaker style and priced well. I would also like to know the quality of the cabico cabinet expresso line. I do know that the door glides are blum. I was also told it takes 6 weeks to get them and they do close for two weeks in July. The frame I believe is 5/8". The other line m looking at is schrock. Schrock seems to be a bit more sturdy and also a bit more expensive

• pharmagirl31
    9 years ago

I read all of the reviews for these Deerfield cabinets sold by Kitchen Resource Direct before I bought and all were positive, but now I question who wrote those reviews. I took a leap of faith and purchased these for my kitchen remodel based on these reviews, but probably would have gotten the same or better quality from Ikea or a big box store. Although these could be somewhat modified which is why I chose them, the quality is far from good. All of the cabinets came with slight damage to the outside boxes and quality was lacking; cabinet doors did not close fully, one of the cabinet backs was deeper than the specs causing the skin to bow as it was applied to the back of the cabinet, the drawer boxes were rough and did not appear sanded in many places with chunks missing from the wood, the crown molding was made 1/16" off and the pieces could not be put together around the corners, causing me to have to buy new crown molding from a box store to install instead, one of the drawers came without any soft close hinges installed, which is to be a standard, and any additional shipment of items will cost you big time. Also, when they were delivered, the driver refused to unload the cabinets from the truck, which was supposed to be part of the shipping guarantee, and made my contractor and his team unload his truck, which they did as a favor to me. That was completely embarrassing. The only good thing I can add is these were delivered quickly but that probably is why the quality is lacking. I chose this instead of a higher quality custom cabinet from a reputable online cabinet maker because it was faster and i didnt want to assemble the cabinets, but I should have stuck with my gut and chose quality over cost and time. I cant even say I got a bargain for these cabinets as I easily spent over $15K on these cabinets and think any stock cabinet would have been just as good. Such a shame as the reviews were all positive, and I have never written a review in my life, but felt compelled for this reason to put a review out there that spoke to the real quality.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pharmagirl31, I'm so sorry that was your experience. I know how difficult it was to find any good information. It's good that you are sharing your experience to help others. (And I noticed people, well, we'll just say they made unhelpful comments on another thread you posted this on. Ignore them. You did your homework, and small and local is no guarantee of quality. Not your fault.)

I saw an acquaintance's Deerfield cabinets, and I wasn't impressed. She, however, was happy with them. In the end, we went with Barker Cabinets. We got our slab doors, but ended up going with natural cherry. We also ended up getting a ton of customizations, motored trash, and the like and drove our price up closer to $10k after the moldings, toe kicks, etc. Still a steal for what we got.

I'm a massive perfectionist and see every scratch they've stored since arriving in my home (arrived perfect), so I get annoyed that they aren't perfect. But the build quality has blown away every person who has come to work on the house. And they show really well when you aren't nit picky.