Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

mahlgold -- backsplash decisions?

rjr220
13 years ago

Mahlgold -- just wondering if you hve made your backsplash decision yet, and if so, what you went for.

My cabs are installed, counter is Tuesday -- although I love that glass/marble combo, I don't know if the style is consistent with what is transpiring in my kitchen. No doubt a thread pleading for assistance will be in the near future . . . .

Comments (9)

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Well...I was all set to pull the trigger on the "corrugated" tile

and then I saw this fireplace and am trying to figure out how to translate this idea onto my backsplash. I really love the chevron design and how they laid the backsplash in 3 different patterns.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Leslie, don't want to but in but you've got such a traditional fireplace in your adjacent room. I think you're smart to take so much time and really think the backsplash through.

Every tile you've posted is so modern you clearly want a modern house.

See that vertical pattern in the center of the fireplace? Why not do vertical white subways staggered or stacked, keep it very simple and economical -- do the whole wall that way. It will relate to the fireplace and still look great it the more modern kitchen.

• rjr220
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that the pull and backsplash decisions are the toughest. Too many choices.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Like the main sink faucet, backsplash is one of the most important kitchen elements -- way underrated. It may seem counter intuitive but finding the tile before anything else makes everything easier IMO.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

the brick on the fireplace is approx. 2"X8". Would you go with a similar size on the backsplash or would a 3"X6" "off the shelf" tile work just as well?

• jumab
    13 years ago

Malhgold, where are you stopping your tile behind the hood fan? I remember seeing your kitchen before but now of course, I can't find it. I have the exact same layout as you with the 2 windows/range centred and I'm trying to determine where to stop the backsplash.

I think using the 3 different patterns may be busy as a backsplash since the area may not be that big to get the same effect.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Longer will be more elegant and slightly more modern. But once it's up the vertical lines will dominate and the width will be minimized.

I'd make 2 templates. Draw each size exactly on sheets of 11 x 14 paper and tape them together. Do a top to bottom strip two widths wide (22"). That's as wide as a roll of wallpaper and with one on each side you can see how the scale compares and switch them back to front. Also photo and see how that looks.

When I did my multicolor splash that's how I decided whether or not I could live with it. I colored in the squares tiles and taped them up on the wall.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

That chevron is cool! I like everything about that picture, but I still like your corrugated look better. Backsplash decision is so hard!

I'd do the copy machine templates--good idea! Or better yet....someone with good photoshop experience...anyone???

• malhgold
    13 years ago

jumab - I'm doing the backsplash on the entire wall.

rococogurl - thanks for the suggestions...

firsthouse - i wish i could get a good photocopy of the ribbed tile so I could tape it on the wall. maybe i need to take the tile to staples because it's not working on my home printer.