Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkoebnick

Sheet glass backsplash?

jkoebnick
11 years ago

I remember reading about big sheet glass backsplash or painted glass backsplash and I can't find it. Does anyone have this - could you post pics please. And where do you buy something like this. I am still looking at different backsplash options.

Comments (11)

• dseng
    11 years ago

Search/Google on the phrase - back painted glass

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

This might help

Here is a link that might be useful: back painted glass

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

JK - I really wanted this for my kitchen backsplash.
    It is turning out to be difficult to locate.
    Templating costs over $100.00 per sq foot and not in our budget.
    I had some other ideas of using glass tiles but bigger than subways.
    Glazier glass and Bear Glass are the 2 companies that I remember.
    The best type of glass is Starphire - which is the clearest of the glass, so less change in paint color.

If you are creative - you can buy glass shelving and paint it yourself. There is a company that sells the paint.

Hope you can do it! Would love to see the pictures.

• labpa
    11 years ago

I very seriously considered this. Its what I really wanted. From the known backsplash purveyors...way too expensive and I was not terribly cost sensitive. From the local glass guy who would transport it to our painter who would paint with Glasspaint (that I purchased) and then transport it to us...way too expensive (and did I mention that I wasn't that cost sensitive?). Also, the risk of a problem -- now or in the future -- entirely my problem regardless of where I bought it. Then there is the problem of needing to make sure your walls are very plumb. Since I wasn't moving walls and they are not, that was a problem. And...let's see, what else...did I mention that it was WAY too expensive. Every cut they need to make for an outlet or light switch was a fortune. In the end I think I was going to pay $10,000 for a backsplash totally at risk if there were any problems. And I have a tiny, tiny kitchen. I concluded that the only way to do it at a reasonable cost was DIY. I am just too busy, too untalented and too lazy. I finally gave up. But I do love the look....

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Nice job Pharoh!!
    What was the cost per sq ft?
    How many pieces total?
    Not sure I totally understand what you did - but nice!!

I don't think our walls are very "plumb" - but still toying with the idea.

Love that counter top! What is it?

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

There are four pieces. I wanted to keep it simple.

The glass is cheap. The cuts are expensive! They charge for each cutout and that adds up quick. I think I spent less than $500 for all the glass you see here.

Email me if you want detailed instructions.

The countertop is Connemara marble from ireland. It is actually a serpentine. Non porous, non etching. It does scratch so I have to polish it soon especially in high use areas.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Here is another view of the island/counter.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

WHOA, pharaoh!!!!!

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

beanie, the counter is wrapped in connemara sepertine. The front is backlit onyx. Cooking on an island has been the best choice we made in the remodel 6 years ago. It is great to face your guests as you cook!

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow - what a pretty kitchen!!! Love it!! I'm a bit confused about how you did the glass though...