Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlb47

Jet Mist ! White or off-white cabs? Polished or honed?

jlb47
14 years ago

My mind is clunking through all of the granite options...

Jet Mist is on the brain right now!

What do you think looks better with it - white or slightly off-white cabinets?

What about honed vs. polished?

I had Uba Tuba in a previous kitchen and disliked the streaking that you'd get when wiping it with a cloth - had to go over it with second swipe to dry to eliminate the marks. If possible I'd love to get something that would help with this issue.

FYI - I do have 6 young kids.

Does honed jet mist show fingerprints?

What else should I consider when it comes to Jet Mist?

THANKS SO MUCH for any advice!

Comments (13)

• jax1723
    14 years ago

We went with high gloss white cabs and polished Virginia Mist (aka Jet).

There's a bunch of photos in this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Update

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful transformation. How do you like the Virginia Mist in the polished finish regarding fingerprints? I have seen other posts with VM honed and enhanced with the purpose being to try and hide fingerprints.

How would VM look with natural oak?

• jlb47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jax1723 - I was looking at your kitchen photos when you posted your reply! Your kitchen looks amazing! Does the polished Jet Mist look more black or charcoal gray? Our cabinets are pretty traditional in style - a basic shaker with no beading - do you think that the polished would go with that look? Do you see a lot of fingerprints or streaking when you wipe down your counters? THANKS for your help!!!

• somanychoices
    14 years ago

Hi,

I have polished jet mist with creamy white shaker-style cabinets and dark walnut-stained red oak floors. My island is a medium-dark stained maple (sienna charcoal) with White Fantasy quartzite on top, and my desk has the medium-dark stained maple with the jet mist on top. I'll post finished kitchen photos in about a month, but I've been living in the kitchen for several days now, and both countertop surfaces are great and don't seem to show much in the way of dirt or fingerprints (I have 2 boys). The creamy cabinets and the dark cabinets look good with the jet mist, but I really like the contrast of the creamy white with the jet mist and the dark island with the white quartzite. I'm very happy with my choices (thank goodness!),and I completely understand how difficult it is to choose....

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

rjr220 - I don't know much about this stuff, just what I've learned from reading these posts and searching internet stone sites, but I don't think they are the same.

Jet Mist seems to be a US granite, while I'm guessing Milky Way is actually Via Lactea (translated into english), which is a Brazillian Granite.

• ouryellowhouse
    14 years ago

We have cabinets painted in Divinity on maple (http://www.medallioncabinetry.com/Product.aspx?productID=161&CategoryID=2) which is a cool off white with the honed jet mist. I really like it - everything is softer. The honed jet mist reminds me of a chalkboard, I don't know why. With the white streaks running through it I am much happier than going with absolute black honed, I think it can help hide any imperfections longer (not that I have any right now!!).

We also had polished uba tuba in our old house and I hated the streaks as well.

When we went to see a slab, yes, the guy was like, look at the fingerprints just want you to know etc and so we hemmed and hawed a bit about honed but finally said it can't be any worse than the streaks on a polished. I don't really notice any fingerprints. I am a bit fanatical about wiping down the counters right now (for water spots or food stains) but we have only had them for 3 months. All I use is either clorox wipes or just a paper towel with some dish soap. Occasionally I have used the method granite spray. If anyone has any better suggestions let me know!

I also have 3 young children and don't believe they have inflicted any damage either. I'll do my best to upload a pic later to help.

• jlb47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ouryellowhouse - We are looking at Schuler Cabinets (from Lowe's), which are made by the same company that does Medallion. Originally we had picked a door style that looked great with a glaze on it - I think it was Morel Heirloom. Anyway, that estimate came up outrageous so we've gone to a more basic door and I'm thinking that the glazing might not be necessary. So I was looking at Divinity for a paint color! If you do have any photos they would be wonderful to see. Thanks so much for your post!

• sfcitydweller
    14 years ago

jlb47-

We are looking into Schuler and Virgina/Jet Mist too. I got a quote (rough quote) on Sheffield in White icing. I too was thinking my quote was a wee bit high for Lowe's. I feel like we are living parallel lives!

• jax1723
    14 years ago

I'm happy with the finger print/streaking issue (and things like that tend to bother me).

I'd say overall they come off as being more charcoal grey (though there's some black specks). Here's a photo to give you a reference point with something truly black in it:

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Jib47,

I have Jet Mist (Virginia Mist) honed granite.
    I really like it.
    It is easy to keep clean and seems to stay clean
    looking. It does not show finger prints.
    But, I wonder if polished might be even
    easier with small children.

My cabinets are a creamy soft warm white not pure
    stark white.

One thing you might want to consider is that Jet Mist
    is not black. It is a charcoal gray. I like this
    color and find it to be more neutral. It also has
    movement but it so subtle it won't dominate your
    kitchen. The color can look nice with almost
    any color in your kitchen.

I chose Jet Mist because I wanted a similar look
    to soapstone. My DH did not want Soapstone but liked
    the feel of the honed finishes.

~boxerpups

• ouryellowhouse
    14 years ago

Hi again, sorry for the delay but I haven't posted pictures yet, so am trying to figure it out.

Hopefully you can see the pics here: http://photobucket.com/ouryellowhouse

These were taken from before we moved in. I realise they are a bit 'far away' and if you need, I'll take some more close up ones. I don't know if the pictures make the cabinets look brighter white than they are in person. We were originally going to have the white chocolate finish but felt that there was not enough natural light in that part of the room and were afraid the cabinets would look more yellow. We are also a cooler palate type. All trim in our house is BM's dove white, btw.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

More pics!
    I especially want to see a close-up of the cooktop backsplash!
    :-)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County