Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethesdamom2008

Holligator-More pics of your kitchen, please?

bethesdamom2008
15 years ago

Holligator

Your kitchen is da bomb. Do you have more pictures to share? I couldn't find it in the FKB.

We need more non white inspiration kitchens. Yours is sensational.

Comments (37)

• holligator
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awww, thanks so much for the compliment! Mine's not in the FKB because, well, it isn't finished. :) It still needs a backsplash and paint and a kitchen table and chairs before I can call it finished. But, in the meantime, I'm always happy to share pics...

The big view...

My pantry cabinets...

Another view of the pantry wall that shows off the pterodactyl in my island...

My fabulous soapstone with runnels by Florida Joshua!

Before and after comparison...

Some details:
    -Custom cherry Shaker cabinets in a natural finish
    -whatever brushed nickel hardware my cabinet guy had
    -Black Venata soapstone counters by the one and only Florida Joshua
    -Kitchenaid counter-depth fridge
    -Fisher & Paykel dish drawers
    -AGA Legacy range
    -Ventahood Excalibur hood
    -Ticor sinks
    -Kohler Vinnata faucets
    -pendants from Rejuvenation
    -tongue and groove pine ceiling
    -Mediterranean walnut travertine floors

• edlakin
    15 years ago

very nice. love the ceiling treatment. is that beadboard?

• bethesdamom2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, It is da bomb!

I love the cabinets and soapstone. Simply stunning!

how big is the room? I wonder what the clearance is around the island?

Kathy

• susan205
    15 years ago

Holligator - Very, very nice!! Can you tell us your island dimensions and your pendant light dimensions? I have a 4x8 island going in and trying to decide how many pendants. Now that I'm looking, I'm seeing that there are some big differences in the size of the light (the globe or glass). I've seen anywhere from 5-10" for mini-pendants.
    Thanks! Susan

• holligator
    15 years ago

edlakin, the ceiling is 6" wide tongue and groove pine.

bethesdamom2008, the room is 24'10" x 14'9" (you can't see the dining area in those pics, but the layout is below). The clearances around the island are as follows: ~48" on the seating side, ~45" on the refrigerator side (to the counter, less to the fridge), and ~43" on the stove side. If I had it to do over, I'd move the island about 3-4" closer to the stove. The clearance in front of the fridge is about perfect.

susan205, my island is 7.5' x 3.5' and my pendant shades are 8" across. Three has turned out to be the perfect number of pendants for us.

• yolicr
    15 years ago

love your kitchen, beautiful layout. I love the way you display your dishes.
    enjoy

• amy0406
    15 years ago

Holligator -
    Another question...You said in another thread that you did not LOVE your floors. Is it a looks thing or function thing that keeps you from "loving" them? What would have been your #1 pic and would you do these again?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
    Amy

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Holligator, your kitchen looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures with us.

• jacqueocs
    15 years ago

Hi! A question about your flooring, please. My hubby wants the same style flooring you have. I want hardwood. Can you share if you are happy w/yours?

Thanks,
    Jacque

• holligator
    15 years ago

Amy and Jacque,

Hmmm....my floors. I did a lot of agonizing about my floors, and it ended up being the last decision I made. It was a hasty, last-minute decision that I second-guessed repeatedly. I had several friends come over to talk me in off the ledge after the tiles arrived.

I originally planned to do a terracotta tile, something along the lines of a Saltillo. Here was the inspiration picture I had for a long time:

Well, when I picked out the cabinet finish I wanted, it clashed terribly with that floor choice, so it was back to the drawing board. I've since read threads that made me feel better about not getting my terracotta, but I'm still convinced I would have liked it just fine if it hadn't clashed.

I considered stained concrete, but I couldn't convince DH to go along with that choice. I considered brick, because I have that in an adjacent room, but I was convinced I couldn't match it sufficiently (it was original from 1942). I considered cork, but I couldn't find a cork floor installed to make me sure I would like it in a whole room. The samples were great, but they were 6"x6".

I had eliminated hardwood because I had it throughout the rest of the house. That alone would not have been an issue, but I also just had so much other wood (pecky cypress paneling everywhere) that I thought it would be too much with my stained wood cabinets.

Finally, I found the perfect solution: reclaimed French parefeuille sub-roofing tiles. The color worked, I got the handmade terracotta I wanted, and I loved the fact that they were 200+ year old tiles.

Well, my search for a source for these tiles proved frustrating. I could either pay rates I considered outrageous ($25+ per square foot) to get them immediately or wait four to six months to get them for a merely expensive price ($14 per square foot). Neither was really in our budget, but I loved them enough that, had they been available right away at $14 per sq. ft., I would have them in my kitchen right now.

So, I went to a tile store in another city because they said had a variation of what I wanted that they were sure I would like and that was also available immediately for much less. When I got there, I hated that variation.

By that time, my time was tight and waiting to get flooring would throw my whole project behind schedule. In retrospect, that wouldn't have been such a bad thing, but at the time, it was unthinkable. When I had walked in the tile store, I immediately liked the look of the travertine floors they had. I pointed them out to DH, who also really liked them. Out of frustration, we just placed an order for those tiles then and there.

We had done NO research, and the sales woman was less than forthcoming about the issues associated with this flooring. It is an unfilled travertine, which I have discovered is a poor choice for kitchen floors. Unfilled means it has all the natural little pits that accumulate who-knows-what in them. Travertine is very porous and is prone to staining and etching, all things I had been so careful to avoid in my countertop selection.

So, I was stuck. I had ordered it and I either had to live with my choice or pay a substantial restocking fee. I finally convinced myself to live with it and, if it turned out I really did hate it, I could always have it ripped up later and replaced--not the most desirable scenario, but one I could live with.

Well, I certainly don't hate it. It's a lovely floor. It has also been surprisingly maintenance-free so far. We have area rugs in front of the stove and sink, so those have protected the areas most likely to get stained. Surprisingly, I have had it for four months now, and I have yet to mop it. I vacuum it very regularly, and I have gone over a lot of areas with a damp cloth to get small spills. It has enough variation in colors that it doesn't show anything at all.

The installation job was not great. I have really big and uneven grout lines. The installers also ignored my directions to use all the tiles with really big pits under the cabinetry. So, many of my best, smoothest tiles are now permanently hidden, and I have big pits in places like doorways.

The other cons that I hear about this kind of flooring is that it is very hard and very cold. These things are true, but they don't bother me. The hardness hasn't posed a problem for me, because the area rugs where I stand are pretty thick and comfortable to stand on. The cold doesn't bother me because I live in Florida. It wasn't bad during the winter, and it's actually kind of nice now that the weather is getting hot.

So, with time to decide and a bigger budget, would I pick it again? No. I probably would have gone with the French reclaimed tiles. If I had been tied more stringently to a budget, I probably would have convinced myself to go with hardwood. We actually had to pull up oak floors in half the space when we combined two rooms. I was convinced we could never match the wood, but now I know I was wrong. Oh well.

That's probably much more than you wanted to know, isn't it? :)

Holly

• bethv
    15 years ago

Beautuiful kitchen!!! I love the beadboard ceiling and how you mixed in glass-front cabinets. And the layout! You must love cooking in there.

• getitdone
    15 years ago

Holligator, Let me start by saying that your kitchen is beautiful. I especially love the ceiling and dish storage. I am curious about you flooring discussion, we are also combining the kitchen and dining rooms and will have to pull up some hardwood. I am strongly considering terra cotta in the kitchen end. You mentioned lots of negatives, do you mind sharing what you learned? Also I love your choice of the french tile, do you mind sharing your source? Thanks in advance, Donna

• holligator
    15 years ago

Donna, I've read many posts here discussing the drawbacks of terracotta tile. The main issue seems to be maintenance, since it requires sealing. Keeping the grout clean is another. Their fragility is still another, as they tend to crack more than other ceramic tiles. Here's a Saltillo tile thread that kind of sums up some of those concerns. Living in an older home with lots of quirks makes me think that none of that would have bothered me, but who knows?

The French tile is available from a number of sources. One of the ones I had contact with and got samples from was Pave Stone and Tile. I can't remember the name of the company that was super expensive (must have blocked it out!). Another company that had a wide range of really lovely terracotta tile was Tile of Luxury in Texas.

• cran
    15 years ago

Holligator you kitchen truly beautiful. I love everything about it..especially the soapstone. I am planning a remodel and have chosen soapstone also, but of course have come across some negative comments. It sounds to me you have done a lot of research is there any thing special you can tell me about it. Also I like the drain board, wonder if the grooves are more adapt to chip? The floor..its great. I am planning on cork, my house is 250 years old and nothing is flat or square so tile is out, but yours is great. Thanks for sharing.

• holligator
    15 years ago

Cran, you'll find many threads on here about the pros and cons of soapstone. But, since you asked, I'll tell you that as far as I'm concerned, there are no negatives when it comes to soapstone. Others would tell you how easy it is to scratch, but I would tell you that it depends on your stone, because some are far easier than others. Also, most scratches disappear with oil and the ones that don't can be sanded out. Others might tell you that oiling is a pain, and I would tell you that it is (a) completely optional, (b) actually kind of fun, and (c) less and less necessary over time to maintain dark counters.

The positives are numerous. It won't stain or etch with spills. Heat doesn't bother it a bit, so you can set those hot pots right on it. It's super easy to keep clean. It looks better and better over time. It's beautiful to look at. On top of all that, nothing in your kitchen could give as much tactile satisfaction as running your hands across an expanse of soapstone.

I can't think of any countertop surface that would feel as right at home in a 250 year old house as soapstone. If that were my house, I would have to get a soapstone sink, as well. About the runnels, I have not found them any more prone to chipping. Mine still look great.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

holligator - your kitchen looks great and actually is VERY similar to 1 of the layouts I'm considering. I believe you posted as such on an earlier thread of mine. Now tht I see your whole kitchen, here come the questions!

1) Do you find it "a long walk" from the frig to the dining area for items you use with meals, i.e. drinks, condiments, butter, etc.

2) Any crossing of paths with coming from the dining area to the main sink crossing over while you're cooking?

3) Why would you move the island a couple of inches closer to the range/sink run? My kitchen is only 13.5' wide, so any inches I can steal are a bonus. Right now in my layout that is similar to yours, I have nothing on the wall behind the island because it is a major walkway to our great room and really can't fit much. How deep is that pantry wall?

4) Now that you're working in your kitchen, is there anything you would do differently in your layout?

6) How much space do you have from the right of the slider to the end of that cabinet run?

5) Overall, just a beautiful job. Everything looks great together. I love that dish display hutch you put in. I can;t do that as that's where my opening is to the Great Room

Thanks for any advice/comments you can provide.

• holligator
    15 years ago

OK, here goes...

1) Do you find it "a long walk" from the frig to the dining area for items you use with meals, i.e. drinks, condiments, butter, etc.

Nope. It doesn't seem far at all. Somebody usually has to get up at least once during a meal to get something from the fridge, and it has never seemed like a chore.

2) Any crossing of paths with coming from the dining area to the main sink crossing over while you're cooking?

This hasn't been a problem either. I keep my dishes in that corner between the sink and the fridge, and when I'm cooking, I usually get someone to set the table. They have just naturally gone around the island on the other side. It doesn't really seem any farther, and it doesn't seem awkward to take that little detour.

3) Why would you move the island a couple of inches closer to the range/sink run? My kitchen is only 13.5' wide, so any inches I can steal are a bonus. Right now in my layout that is similar to yours, I have nothing on the wall behind the island because it is a major walkway to our great room and really can't fit much. How deep is that pantry wall?

I do most of my prep at the island. I'll wash veggies in the prep sink and cut them just to the left of it. When I turn to put those veggies on the stove, it just seems like it should be just a pivot. Instead, it's a pivot and then a kind of long step. It's not a big deal, but I just think it would feel more natural and efficient if there were a bit less space there. I would be thrilled with 39 or 40 inches. The pantry cabinets are 18" deep. Perhaps 15" deep cabinets would have made more sense, because 18" is quite deep.

4) Now that you're working in your kitchen, is there anything you would do differently in your layout?

The flow works very, very well for us. Everything seems quite natural. Other than the island placement, the few little things I would change have more to do with cabinet choices than layout. For example, I think I mentioned wishing for a few more shallow drawers for my utensils. I also did a poor job planning my desk area. I had hoped to store a stepladder in the tiny cabinet to the right of the desk, but I didn't make the opening big enough. I can fit one in there, but it is nearly impossible to get it out when I need it. I would change several little things like that, but the overall flow is perfect.

6) How much space do you have from the right of the slider to the end of that cabinet run?

Wait! What happened to #5? That's not a slider--it's a large window, but that space between the window trim and the cabinet trim is only about three inches.

5) Overall, just a beautiful job. Everything looks great together. I love that dish display hutch you put in. I can;t do that as that's where my opening is to the Great Room

Oh, there's #5! :) Thanks so much! We are really so pleased with how things turned out. Having shelves for my Polish pottery was very important to me. I tore out some built-ins in the dining room when we combined the rooms, and I had really grown accustomed to having those dishes on display. I would have been sad not to see them out.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

thanks!!! Sorry about the #5 thing. I added something else and thought I had rearranged the #'s!!!

I actually meant how far is it from the right side of the window to the end of the outside wall(to the right of the sink). Thanks!!!

• holligator
    15 years ago

Aah, I think I understand now. If my KD's measurements were correct, the space between the trim of that large window and the corner to the right of the sink is 14.5 feet.

• cran
    15 years ago

Holligator..thanks for all your advise on the soapstone..it was exactly what I wanted to hear! Love your kitchen, maybe one of these days I'll be able to post mine. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

What a wonderful, warm kitchen you created! It looks so inviting and easy to be in!

Questions: Where is the micro? I may have missed it somewhere above.
    How do you like your Legacy so far?

Thanks so much!

• holligator
    15 years ago

vicnsb, first, thank you! What a wonderful, warm kitchen you created! It looks so inviting and easy to be in!--that is exactly what I was shooting for, and I'm glad it comes across that way. :)

Now, to answer your questions...the microwave is under the counter in the island, and we love having it there. It is completely out of the way but easily accessible, and it doesn't take up any counter space. I had the shelf there built to the specs of the Sharp MW drawer, in case I decide to get one.

A bonus of that was that I ended up with an extra deep drawer beneath it that can hold two 12-quart stock pots and a bunch of other stuff, too.

So far, I like the Legacy. The stovetop is great. I love the configuration of burners, and the center one is quite powerful. It's also very easy to clean, especially compared with some other gas stoves I've read about here. The ovens take a bit of getting used to, though. They are small, which is fine with me, but it does require some adjusting. I haven't found anything other than my large turkey roaster that won't fit, so that was a relief. My only real complaint is how long the ovens take to preheat. It really seems like forever. But, once they are heated, they cook great. I'm still getting used to using a convection oven, so some things have come out a tad overdone--but it was all my fault.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Holligator,

Your kitchen is just beautiful! I especially love your pantry wall and it is inspiring me for my own. My kitchen is a similar layout and size to yours although narrower (13 ft). Do you think 15 inch depth or 12 inch depth would work with your pantry design? How well does your 18 inch desk area work for you? Do you find you use it a lot or could you live without it if you had to sacrifice one of your pantry's due to space? Also, how many cubic feet is your KitchenAid CD fridge? Thanks!

• holligator
    15 years ago

I do think 12-15" would work easily. In fact, I sometimes wish mine were a little shallower. The desk might be an issue, because I can't imagine being very useful at less than 18" deep. Maybe 15", but definitely not 12. The rest would be fine, though.

In fact, the inspiration pic I started from had shallower cabinets. I can't tell if they are 12 or 15, but they are not 18. (Does anybody know who this kitchen belongs to? I'm pretty sure I found it here when I first started lurking, and it was so helpful.)

My pantry wall inspiration pic:

I could absolutely do without the desk. I do use it, but everything I use it for could be housed elsewhere. Here's what I use it for: a place to stick a pencil jar, a place for my dogs' cookie jar, a place to keep the clipboard I do our grocery list on, a place to set the phone, and a small junk drawer for small junk. I also store my cookbooks on a shelf above it. My pantry wall gave me plenty of storage space, but if I were at all strapped for space, I would have ditched the desk in a second. It's a convenience, but it's far from a necessity.

• holligator
    15 years ago

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to include the dimensions of my fridge. It's 24.5 cubic feet, and it feels plenty roomy for us.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Holligator, See how great GW is! You're my inspiration picture and you found an inspiration picture here as well! I just measured my kitchen again and it is 26.4 X 13.5. So I'm 16 inchese less in width from your kitchen. If you were cutting inches where would you cut? I can make the island narrower and can pull from the pantry width. Would you go down to 12" pantry and cut 6 inches from your island or would you cut more from the island and leave 15 inch pantry? How narrow could your walkways be and still feel comfortable? Thanks again for your help.

• holligator
    15 years ago

16 inches? Easy!

Get 4 inches by cutting the aisle by the stove down
    Get 3 inches by making the pantry 15" deep
    Get 6 inches from the other aisle
    Get 3 inches from a narrower island (I have a 15" overhang, and 12" would be plenty)

I have to say that this is just my opinion about what feels right to me. Many would disagree with me. I love, love, love having a big island. The aisles around it feel bigger than necessary. I played with the idea of having shallow cabinets open under the island overhang. Many people discouraged me from doing this, but now I'm convinced that it would have been fine.

Some people really prefer huge aisles and will tell you that anything less than 42" or 48" is too small. I'm not one of them. I find narrower aisles more efficient. Now, if I had walls behind those counters, it would feel claustrophobic to have narrow aisles between them. The space over the island keeps it from feeling closed in. I looked at my last KD's plans earlier today, and he had 47" between the stove and the island! Yikes! I would have hated that! I only ended up with 43" and that feels too wide to me. If narrowing the seating aisle makes you nervous, go with a shallower pantry or narrower island. You definitely have plenty to play with to get to what feels right to you.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. You have really helped me :)

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Holligator --

Can you tell me if those pendants (which I love the looks of) are hanging on a cord or on a metal pole? And could you tell me what finish they are?

Thanks.

• holligator
    15 years ago

The pendants are hanging on heavy cloth cords, which I love because (a) they don't kink and (b) they seem to fit with the era of my house (1942). The finish is brushed nickel.

Here's the link to mine (except mine have the black cord).

Here is a link that might be useful: my pendants

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Holligator -- Thanks so much for the link. Somehow on the Rejuvenation site I couldn't find the cord hung (which I prefer and which I agree works in a house of that era). Our house was built in '47 and I think this may be the light I've been looking for. Thanks.

• gala522
    15 years ago

Holligator,

Thanks for posting your pictures. I see so much that I like! I particularly like your countertop height seating at the island and the island sides that extend the full width of the countertop. It's such a clean look.

Our kitchen will have a similar layout. Your measurements have me re-thinking my island dimensions. Fortunately, we're still at a stage where that's a good thing!

Could you share your upper cabinet height and ceiling height? We're planning on cabinets that go up to our 9' ceiling, but I'm having trouble visualizing how it will look.

Congratulations on creating such a lovely kitchen!

Gala

• holligator
    15 years ago

I particularly like your countertop height seating at the island and the island sides that extend the full width of the countertop.

Thanks for noticing that! :) That was one of the things I was most insistent upon after seeing my KD's initial drawings. The island he drew looked so unbalanced, like it was ready to topple over. I knew it wouldn't, but that feel was not want I wanted. Now, after seeing many pics here with a visible overhang, I think I would have liked it just fine, but I'm still really pleased with my decision to have the sides extend to the edge of the overhang. It does limit seating a bit, but I knew I would never have four people lined up sitting facing in the same direction, so that really didn't matter to me.

Now, to your questions...my kitchen ceiling is 8'6" high, and my upper cabinets are 47" tall, including the crown molding. The cabinet doors are 42" tall.

Hope this helps!

• gala522
    15 years ago

It definitely helps. Thank you so much.

I'm taking pictures of your kitchen with me when we meet with the KD!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Can I come over and lick your ceiling?

• hydrangea_luvr
    13 years ago

I love, love, love this kitchen. I know I'm about 2 years late on this, but this is definitely my inspiration kitchen.

• roemama
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen too! Your layout has inspired mine, thank you! I know this is an old thread, but if you are still out there I have a question!

What is the distance between your range to the edge of the cabinets on the left and then to the sink?

I have a similar layout, though smaller, and right now am planning the fridge where your range is, and the range where your fridge is. I don't like the eye sore of a fridge where it currently is but don't know if I have enough space to change it.