Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf ovens "burn in"

Posted by Lorenza5064 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 7:17

Wolf L series oven in place and ready for use. The thread relating the woes of porcelain chipping and failure has left me a bit paralyzed to initiate the use of the oven. I believe someone described a specific technique for "breaking in" the oven. The owners manual specifies the use of the CONV ROAST mode set at 500 F for one hour. Wondering if this is the technique recommended by others......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf ovens "burn in"

Usually to burn off any remaining manufacturing surface coatings.

o

Hi Lorenza. As you know, my replacement L ovens were installed last week. (As a note to anyone not reading the Appliance Forum, the interior blue porcelain chipped/flaked off my Wolf ovens in less than 18 months so Wolf replaced them as no repair is possible once the damage is done. Others on the forum are experiencing the same problems.) I did the slow burn-in method described last fall by Kaseki. I probably rushed a couple of the first cool downs as I started in the afternoon immediatley after install and needed the ovens ready to bake cinnamon rolls and scones early the next morning. Cooling down takes hours. To do it correctly, plan a couple of days.

Obviously there is no way to determine at this point whether this method is effective in preventing the porcelain damage, but it does make more sense to me than cranking up new ovens to 500 for an hour on their maiden voyage. Slow seems better to my mind. The breaking in is more gentle, and the factory oils still get burned off the same. I would not, however, be surprised to find the same porcelain damage again. I am very pleased with the oven performance otherwise.

From Kas:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --

"Here is what I have and what I have done. NOTE: WOLF BURN-IN INSTRUCTIONS (for my ovens = DO30F/S) ARE 500F ON CONV. ROAST FOR 1 HR.

Reference, THS msg0409232327865 where these instruction are asserted to be from a service tech.

Burn-in for 30 minutes after reaching 250F, then let the oven cool
then 350F for 30 minutes and cool
then 450F for 30 minutes and cool
Finally, 500F for 60 minutes and cool.

To be effective as a paint de-stressor, or whatever might be happening, if anything, this process has to be done first, not after pizza baking.

Plan on needing good ventilation.

kas"

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread describing slow burn-in

o

I agree on the good ventilation - I started with the slow burn and then read the book and boosted to the 500 but open those windows!!

o

Yes. Very odiferous task!

o

Hi. Just going to do the burn in today.

Do I leave the racks in or remove them?

Thanks.

o

I used the one hour convection roast at 550 degrees method as directed in the Wolf manual. When I need to tell them that my oven is chipping again I don't want them to say that I did not do the burn-in correctly. BTW, my oven was installed 6 months ago and the chipping has already started in the bottom corners. Use a bright flashlight to check the porcelain as the oven light glares and you may not see it.

o

double post.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 10:50

o

We installed our ovens 2 months ago and did the slow burn as recommended by Kas. Ventilation is a must. I had the luxury of time so I did this over 3 week-ends (2nd home). Only time will tell if the slow burn helps, fingers crossed. So far we love the new ovens.

o

I left the racks in place for the burn in.
I agree - odoriferous!!! Open the windows on a breezy day!
I guess I better check my porcelain...

o

I also left my racks in place.

o

Thanks to you both. I was just unsure...

We've waited this long, what's waiting a bit more for a breezy day?

o

Trust me - it will be worth it - I did it in the spring and didn't realize how awful it would smell - even with the fan running full blast!!

o

Too bad Wolf doesn't do this at the factory. The company would know that each oven works before leaving the factory.

I never heard of such a procedure before. I thought it was "fire it up and bake."

Karen

o

Too bad Wolf doesn't do this at the factory. The company would know that each oven works before leaving the factory.

I never heard of such a procedure before. I thought it was "fire it up and bake."

Karen

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by breezygirl on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 20:32

o

I also left my racks in. In fact, the tech who installed my replacement ovens set the ovens for burn-off before he left and he did so with the racks in.

I've been afraid to really investigate, but I'm sure I saw blue flakes on my finger the other day when I rubbed the bottom of the upper oven. I think it's starting again. I'm really crossing my fingers that Wolf corrected the problem with their new M series ovens releasing Q1 2014. At the very least, it sounds like the oven liner in this new series is replaceable. Perhaps by the time I do investigate and get around to calling Wolf, my replacement can be the M series.

Karen--From my understanding, every oven needs a burn-off prior to first use.

Kalapointer--sorry to hear yours are chipping again. I think we both knew this would happen.......

o

I had my E oven replaced just after Breezygirl and just the other day I found several glass shards on the bottom of my oven, but I can't figure out where they came from. A couple of them were fairly large..one that was on the cloth I used to wipe up a spill actually stabbed me...which is how I found the pieces! Wendy, I had emailed you about this last week...has your email changed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here