Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenza5064_gw

Wolf ovens "burn in"

Lorenza5064
10 years ago

Wolf L series oven in place and ready for use. The thread relating the woes of porcelain chipping and failure has left me a bit paralyzed to initiate the use of the oven. I believe someone described a specific technique for "breaking in" the oven. The owners manual specifies the use of the CONV ROAST mode set at 500 F for one hour. Wondering if this is the technique recommended by others......

Comments (17)

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Usually to burn off any remaining manufacturing surface coatings.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I agree on the good ventilation - I started with the slow burn and then read the book and boosted to the 500 but open those windows!!

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Yes. Very odiferous task!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Hi. Just going to do the burn in today.

Do I leave the racks in or remove them?

Thanks.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

I used the one hour convection roast at 550 degrees method as directed in the Wolf manual. When I need to tell them that my oven is chipping again I don't want them to say that I did not do the burn-in correctly. BTW, my oven was installed 6 months ago and the chipping has already started in the bottom corners. Use a bright flashlight to check the porcelain as the oven light glares and you may not see it.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

double post.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 10:50

• mjocean
    10 years ago

We installed our ovens 2 months ago and did the slow burn as recommended by Kas. Ventilation is a must. I had the luxury of time so I did this over 3 week-ends (2nd home). Only time will tell if the slow burn helps, fingers crossed. So far we love the new ovens.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I left the racks in place for the burn in.
    I agree - odoriferous!!! Open the windows on a breezy day!
    I guess I better check my porcelain...

• mjocean
    10 years ago

I also left my racks in place.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both. I was just unsure...

We've waited this long, what's waiting a bit more for a breezy day?

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Trust me - it will be worth it - I did it in the spring and didn't realize how awful it would smell - even with the fan running full blast!!

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Too bad Wolf doesn't do this at the factory. The company would know that each oven works before leaving the factory.

I never heard of such a procedure before. I thought it was "fire it up and bake."

Karen

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Too bad Wolf doesn't do this at the factory. The company would know that each oven works before leaving the factory.

I never heard of such a procedure before. I thought it was "fire it up and bake."

Karen

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by breezygirl on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 20:32

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I also left my racks in. In fact, the tech who installed my replacement ovens set the ovens for burn-off before he left and he did so with the racks in.

I've been afraid to really investigate, but I'm sure I saw blue flakes on my finger the other day when I rubbed the bottom of the upper oven. I think it's starting again. I'm really crossing my fingers that Wolf corrected the problem with their new M series ovens releasing Q1 2014. At the very least, it sounds like the oven liner in this new series is replaceable. Perhaps by the time I do investigate and get around to calling Wolf, my replacement can be the M series.

Karen--From my understanding, every oven needs a burn-off prior to first use.

Kalapointer--sorry to hear yours are chipping again. I think we both knew this would happen.......

• gayl
    10 years ago

I had my E oven replaced just after Breezygirl and just the other day I found several glass shards on the bottom of my oven, but I can't figure out where they came from. A couple of them were fairly large..one that was on the cloth I used to wipe up a spill actually stabbed me...which is how I found the pieces! Wendy, I had emailed you about this last week...has your email changed?