Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
35ftcabo

Need info - people with apron sinks

KBH
11 years ago

Counters were templated today. Granite guy measured so that the sink rim was entirely covered and just slightly overlapping. I wanted a slice of rim showing on the sides and back. He said it's so water doesn't get under the granite. My contractor said it's better to not overlap because it's then easier to bang into it with a pot and chip the stone. So....my question is - which style do you have? Any words of advice?

Comments (12)

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

pics below. the shaw farm sink is handmade and mine was a bit uneven on the back top edges. to avoid an ugly uneven and thick caulking seam we implemented as pictured. concept - the shadow is your friend.

was planning to have a bit of edge showing initially but like how it turned out and so far so good. i have marble rather than granite. second pic is when faucet was just installed - cats intrigued by the swirling of water down the new sink!

• bostonpam
    11 years ago

I have a small portion of my rim exposed. I like it that way. If that's what you want tell him so. Your granite guy said not to do it "...so water doesn't get under the granite." First the seam is caulked and water won't leak and 2nd it's granite and it can take water.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

I also have a small portion of the rim exposed and like it that way too!

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

My soapstone is completely overlapping my sink rim. But it still gets wet under the granite. This should not be the reason to have the stone overlap the sink rim. I did it this way because I don't want to see the seam...gunk tends to get in there and it looks messy to me. I still need to clean the sink rim under the stone overlap...but at least I don't see it when I don't have time to get to it right away.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I have a zero reveal... meaning entirely flush mount installed.

I love it for the look and ease of cleanup.

No issues/problems with gunk at all.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I specifically ordered a Kohler, undermount farm/apron sink with a finished edge.

Water doesn't get under the granite? Introduce them to the idea of CAULK.

My server won't let me into my own stuff, but you can see the edge of the sink.

• dragonfly08
    11 years ago

I also wanted a positive reveal (where you can see the rims of the sink) because I thought it looked prettier. In the end, I went with having a slight overlap and I have no regrets. I made sure that when they templated, that the overlap was very small (1/4" max) and I have not had any problems with banging pots or dishes against it in the 3+months it's been in use.

I agree with the others, water should not get under the granite if your counters were installed properly... ours is sealed around/underneath the edges with silicone and water is sufficiently blocked.

Lastly, one nice feature of having a slight overhang is that when water goes up sides or back, the overhang acts as a barrier and water doesn't splash onto countertop.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

We have a slight reveal (a little bit showing) too.
    I like how it looks - we have had to recaulk it once since putting it in to keep it looking nice and I guess it's been about 2.5 years since we installed.

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the replies, and the pictures. Love the zero reveal, and those Shaws sinks are to die for. The pics look great, so clearly it will look good either way. But yes, as the granite will be caulked, I guess it will be fine whatever we decide. Thanks again for the help. Can't tell you how much I've relied on this site.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm at the library, so let me show you what a real, revealed edge is. I hope it's not too dark. Grateful for the cell phone camera, but wish it were better!

• prill
    11 years ago

Mine overlaps too...

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the added pics. Right now there's a piece of plywood with a 1/4" reveal covering my sink, and I like seeing the edge. But I really love the finished look of the overlap from these pics, too. Decisions, decisions.
    Dragonfly - everytime I see your Super White, I love it more. I wanted that, but it's 4 weeks out right now, so I'm going with River White - found slabs with good movement. Maybe a bath vanity of Super White is in my future. I love it so.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz